will wr 450 2006 engine fit the 2007 frame?

1 reply to this topic
  • Insane007

Posted December 22, 2014 - 10:48 AM

sup guys..

I have a 2006 wr 450 (steel frame) awesome machine... but i might be able to get a 2007 (aluminium frame) for quite cheap...  will the 06 engine fit the 07 frame without mods ?   as far as i know there aint much of a difference between those motors as i had a 08 wr couple years ago...  just want to make sure before i spend the money on that frame and sit with it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • condor74

Posted December 22, 2014 - 08:26 PM

I believe the engine should swap easy enough however you will need some aluminum frame specific parts such as oil tank, lines, fuel tank, plastics, sub frame air box etc..  If you are looking at an aluminum roller it should be easy.  If it is a bare frame you will need to collect more parts.   In my opinion unless you just want the bling of an aluminum frame or just like the looks of having a newer bike then there is not much upside to the swap.  It is easier to work on a steel frame bike due to clearance around the motor. 

I am only referencing the steel frame vs the first generation aluminum frame. 

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.