bike seized...kinda

5 replies to this topic
  • personius264

Posted December 21, 2014 - 08:12 PM

07 yz450f.

today I was riding and all of a sudden the bike made screeching noise and locked up, once i was off the track I tried to turn it over but the kickstart was frozen. I was convinced It was blown up. when I got home I washed it and tore down the top end. I was stumped, I found nothing wrong. the timing was good, chain was tight, no bent valves, piston, rings and cylinder looked great. Then I started turning the bike over to see If I could find anything wrong with the bottom end. nothing! so I put the bike in gear and spun the wheel by hand to see if any of the gears were messed up and once again nothing.

what the hell happened? what should I do?

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Check the rod bearing clearance, "F" in the picture here.  I know it says, "small end free play", but the amount that the rod can be "rocked" left and right without letting the big end slide sideways on the crank is an indicator of clearance at the big end. 

If the rod bearing cage gets too loose, together with a little extra clearance at the big end, the rollers can skew out of line with the crank pin and temporarily lock the crank.

Attached Thumbnails

• rod.png

• Goforaride

Posted December 22, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Siezed cam bearing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • personius264

Posted December 22, 2014 - 09:13 AM

cam bearings are good as well as the whole valve train. Gray I think you are right, this is an original bottom end bike. What is the proper way to check these clearances? I am unfamiliar with bottom end work. what should I look for.

This sucks because I'm trying to sell it so I can buy a FI bike...crap

• personius264

Posted December 22, 2014 - 09:22 AM

one more question.. If this is the issue can (should) I replace the rod, bearings and seals, or would you recommend replacing the whole crank and rod assembly? keep in mind I don't plan on keeping this bike much longer, but also I would never want to sell and innocent person a ticking time bomb.  

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2014 - 07:56 PM

cam bearings are good as well as the whole valve train. Gray I think you are right, this is an original bottom end bike. What is the proper way to check these clearances? I am unfamiliar with bottom end work. what should I look for.

This sucks because I'm trying to sell it so I can buy a FI bike...crap

Look at the picture from the manual I posted.  You'll need a dial gauge. Your main concern is measurement 'F'.

one more question.. If this is the issue can (should) I replace the rod, bearings and seals, or would you recommend replacing the whole crank and rod assembly? keep in mind I don't plan on keeping this bike much longer, but also I would never want to sell and innocent person a ticking time bomb.  

Replacing the crank is quicker, and you can go with a Hot Rods crank to save a bit of money without giving up much on the quality side of things.  The problem with rebuilding is that by the time labor is added to do the press work and alignment, it may cost nearly as much as a new genuine crank.   There is a company called Mr. Crankshaft  that comes recommended by several people on the site, and may be able to help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.