quietest pipe for a wr 400.

9 replies to this topic
  • elrontx

Posted December 20, 2014 - 12:41 PM

i have a 99 wr 400, it has an fmf q pipe. its not too loud but i was wondering if the stock pipe is quieter. id like to make the bike as quiet as possible. any info is appricated,  thanks.

• fdme

Posted December 20, 2014 - 01:18 PM

i have a 99 wr 400, it has an fmf q pipe. its not too loud but i was wondering if the stock pipe is quieter. id like to make the bike as quiet as possible. any info is appricated, thanks.

The stock pipe is probably the most quiet pipe you could put on it? Especially compared to anything aftermarket. This is just assumption though.

• rah7777777

Posted December 20, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Supposedly if you put a FMF header (Power bomb or mega bomb) they both will reduce noise by 1.5 decibels with the Q4 on it.

Re-jetting would be needed.

I have a Q4 muffler with a power bomb header and a JD jetting kit sitting in the box waiting for install :-)

• Wristrockit

Posted December 20, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Supposedly if you put a FMF header (Power bomb or mega bomb) they both will reduce noise by 1.5 decibels with the Q4 on it.

Re-jetting would be needed.

I have a Q4 muffler with a power bomb header and a JD jetting kit sitting in the box waiting for install :-)

And most, if not all aftermarket pipe suppliers, offer a "quiet" insert. If not, some other aftermarket suppliers may make an insert for it of their own.  You'll just have to research it.  I know Lexx has some really good quiet inserts for their stuff.  Don't know if Lexx makes pipes for WRs though.

• numroe

Posted December 20, 2014 - 04:50 PM

Stock 2007+ WR450F muffler is as good as it gets for low sound and good power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VinceDC

Posted December 20, 2014 - 05:49 PM

I have a 99 WR and I currently have a older FMF Power Core Q that has fresh packing in it. I don't know what the sound level is in db's . What was on the bike before was the stock pipe with a Vortip insert. The vortip is quieter mostly at idle and a little all the way through the RPM's. The reason I changed the pipe was to lose weight. The FMF is 3 pounds lighter. I recently decided to put it on a diet to see how much weight I could get off it without spending a ton of money. End up losing 14.5 pounds.

Edited by VinceDC, December 20, 2014 - 05:51 PM.

• elrontx

Posted December 20, 2014 - 08:46 PM

i guess ill have to find a stock pipe. thanks for the replies.

• big ed wr400

Posted December 25, 2014 - 09:52 PM

i guess ill have to find a stock pipe. thanks for the replies.

I have a stock pipe for a WR 400 for sale. A GTY insert is good mod.   $200.00 for the muffler plus shipping.  ED 

• numroe

Posted December 26, 2014 - 02:37 AM

I was thinking of mentioning the GTYR tip too. I made my own. Good flow gain. Not much more noise.

I have a KX450F and to be allowed to ride at a particularly good location I went through a lot of quiet muffler options and found that the current WR alum muffler is a bit heavy but excellent power vs sound. Some Yamaha sound engineer knows his stuff.

• Wristrockit

Posted December 26, 2014 - 08:31 AM

Mine with the GYTR tip is plenty quiet.  Unless you're a hit man that requires absolute silence, it's plenty quiet.  Also, it's heavy!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.