Removing valves without valve spring compressor

14 replies to this topic
  • Adam842

Posted December 19, 2014 - 02:46 PM

For you guys that have removed your valves without a valve spring compressor, howd you do it?  I saw a video on youtube and the guy used a socket then put a magnet through the sockets hole.  Then he pushed down on the socket and the magnets grabbed the keepers but when i do it doesnt work. When I do it the valve moves down to so the magnets cant grab the keepers. Any help will be appriciated 

• Adam842

Posted December 19, 2014 - 02:47 PM

heres the link to the video

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted December 19, 2014 - 02:49 PM

DO NOT DO IT!  A valve spring compressor is like 20 bucks on ebay, I bought one when I did my top end this past summer, best sawbuck I ever spent.

• Adam842

Posted December 19, 2014 - 02:54 PM

DO NOT DO IT!  A valve spring compressor is like 20 bucks on ebay, I bought one when I did my top end this past summer, best sawbuck I ever spent.

I cant find one for under $50 and dont really want to spend a lot on one if i dont need it because i dont have a ton of money

• jcross312

Posted December 19, 2014 - 02:55 PM

I think I got mine out one time by putting a rag under the head and sharply whacked the valve cap with a socket on top. The keepers eventually fell out. I then bought the tool to put new valves in.

• William1

Posted December 19, 2014 - 02:58 PM

If you do not need a valve spring compressor, why are you taking your valves apart?

Getting the apart is usually easy, it is getting them back together that is tough and near impossible without a spring compressor.

Hack repairs mean hack results.

• Adam842

Posted December 19, 2014 - 03:01 PM

If you do not need a valve spring compressor, why are you taking your valves apart?

Getting the apart is usually easy, it is getting them back together that is tough and near impossible without a spring compressor.

Hack repairs mean hack result

Right now Im rebuilding my yz400f and the valves and head have tons of carbon deposits on it. So Im going to take them out clean them, then see if they need replaced

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted December 19, 2014 - 03:05 PM

Right now Im rebuilding my yz400f and the valves and head have tons of carbon deposits on it. So Im going to take them out clean them, then see if they need replaced

Not how you do it. Before you take the bike apart, you do a leak down test. That will tell you if the valves need work.

Disturbing the valves and 'set' they developed will certainly make a questionable valve fail.

• Adam842

Posted December 19, 2014 - 03:07 PM

Not how you do it. Before you take the bike apart, you do a leak down test. That will tell you if the valves need work.

Disturbing the valves and 'set' they developed will certainly make a questionable valve fail.

so you think i should just leave them alone instead of taking them out and cleaning them up good

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted December 19, 2014 - 03:14 PM

I cant find one for under $50 and dont really want to spend a lot on one if i dont need it because i dont have a ton of money

I bought one just like this:

http://www.ebay.com/...e_Tools&vxp=mtr

There are a bunch on ebay for right around the same price.

• Adam842

Posted December 19, 2014 - 03:18 PM

I bought one just like this:

http://www.ebay.com/...e_Tools&vxp=mtr

There are a bunch on ebay for right around the same price.

Thanks!!! Whats your oppinion of me taking the valves out to clean the since i think there theyve never been cleaned before

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted December 19, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Thanks!!! Whats your oppinion of me taking the valves out to clean the since i think there theyve never been cleaned before

If you do, replace the seals.

• Adam842

Posted December 19, 2014 - 03:29 PM

ok thx again

• AODRN

Posted December 19, 2014 - 04:32 PM

I followed that video with my top end rebuild. It worked great. Just have a folded rag under the valves. Putting it back together is the hard part. I had my wife put the keepers in while I held the spring down. Also, dont get in a hurry. If you slip, you could damage the cam journal or the valve cover gasket area.

• grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2014 - 06:22 PM

When you clean the valves, if using a bench grinder mounted brush, stay off of the sealing surface of the valve face.  DO replace the seals.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.