Couple questions 2014 WR450

3 replies to this topic
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted December 19, 2014 - 08:50 AM

I am going from an 06 YZ450 to this 14 WR450 and I am wondering about a couple different things.

1) I have a GPR V2 sub-mount stabilizer on the YZ that I want to move over. After doing some very rough measuring it looks like it will, has anyone done this? 

2) I have read several posts about opening up the air box, is it one of those deals where you just need to remove a cover or do I actually need to cut the top of the box?

3) I ordered an FMF pipe and the programmable ECU, anything else I am should be thinking about? (Besides the usual guards and cosmetic stuff)....

4) This thing does not like to start! I am assuming the new pipe and ecu will correct that (and getting some time on it), but is there a magic spell/dance/chant that I should be doing? 

Thanks!

• mch

Posted December 19, 2014 - 09:25 AM

I am going from an 06 YZ450 to this 14 WR450 and I am wondering about a couple different things.

1) I have a GPR V2 sub-mount stabilizer on the YZ that I want to move over. After doing some very rough measuring it looks like it will, has anyone done this? 

2) I have read several posts about opening up the air box, is it one of those deals where you just need to remove a cover or do I actually need to cut the top of the box?

3) I ordered an FMF pipe and the programmable ECU, anything else I am should be thinking about? (Besides the usual guards and cosmetic stuff)....

4) This thing does not like to start! I am assuming the new pipe and ecu will correct that (and getting some time on it), but is there a magic spell/dance/chant that I should be doing? 

Thanks!

1. No idea

2. There is a snorkel under the seat, right behind the battery that goes into the air box you can remove to open up the air box.

3. No comment.

4. There is a Fuel Injection tool (not the normal ECU programmer) that allows you to make an adjustment that seems to help.  It seems to be working great for me.  Search "FI tool" and "hard starting" in this forum.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahadude93

Posted December 19, 2014 - 05:57 PM

Thanks!

1) no idea, but try it out and let us know!
2)the snorkel removal is simple. You have to remove the battery to make this happen. I believe it's two screws and you set!
3) I did that same set up, fmf power core, without changing the mapping, the bike is a beast.
4) yes, once I did these uncorking things to the bike, it became a lot easier to fire up. Almost instantly .

• Slow and Jerky

Posted December 20, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I installed the  V2 stabilizer, the only difference is the pin between the  frame mount and the stabilizer needs to be about 3/8" longer but other than that everything bolted right on! I haven't messed with anything else yet since I am waiting on parts but I did ride it about 20 miles today doing the break-in stuff and by the third time (I did 3 20 minute sessions on our little track just putting around) it was starting noticeably easier. I have to say I  am loving this bike, it feels so much  more planted than my 06 YZ. Its super muddy here right now and this thing just felt like it was under control the whole time. I am looking forward to getting it out in the real world and seeing how it does!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.