Head gasket

7 replies to this topic
  • Duane123

Posted December 17, 2014 - 02:42 AM

Has anybody ever tried or know if it's possible to run with 2 head gaskets on a yz450f

• grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Why would you do that?

• Duane123

Posted December 17, 2014 - 06:14 PM

I've got a trickie one, I blew a head gasket, bought a new one put it in and turn the motor over and the piston slightly taps on the head, took the new head gasket out and put the old one back in and it stopped, went to Yamaha and bought another new gasket thinking a genuine one would be better and nope it's tapping again, put both new head gaskets together and it's gold as good again.

• jojo1224

Posted December 18, 2014 - 01:00 AM

Do you have a base gasket installed? Also measure the difference between the old and new head gasket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted December 18, 2014 - 07:20 AM

You must have a foo foo piston if all else is good. I would sand the piston down if I had to or better replace it. Are you sure it's hitting.

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Something is wrong somewhere.  The first thing that comes to mind is that you put the piston in backward and you have the center intake valve running into the high spot between the two exhaust valve clearance cuts.

It's either that, or a piston from the wrong engine (there are 3 distinctly different 95mm YZF pistons), wrong base gasket, etc.

• Duane123

Posted December 18, 2014 - 02:39 PM

All sorted thanks all for the replies

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2014 - 09:39 PM

And the problem was?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.