New bike came with synthetic, oil question

31 replies to this topic
  • Monk

Posted December 18, 2014 - 02:59 PM

I urge you to educate yourself and you will agree. Maybe use it for ten years plus in these high raving motors and do tear downs. Pretty sure you will agree.

So because MOTOREX comes on the side of a KTM you think it's a superior oil vs Rotella or like wise?

But honestly there is no point in debating as you will believe what you believe and I will believe what I believe. You keep pouring that $20 oil in your bike and I'll stick to my $3 bottle of good ol Rotella.....

Edited by Monk, December 18, 2014 - 03:03 PM.

• Gunner354

Posted December 18, 2014 - 03:19 PM

So because MOTOREX comes on the side of a KTM you think it's a superior oil vs Rotella or like wise?

But honestly there is no point in debating as you will believe what you believe and I will believe what I believe. You keep pouring that $20 oil in your bike and I'll stick to my $3 bottle of good ol Rotella.....

Once again uninformed. I buy my Redline for $9.99 qt. please before you try to slam someone get your facts straight.

• Monk

Posted December 18, 2014 - 03:26 PM

Once again uninformed. I buy my Redline for $9.99 qt. please before you try to slam someone get your facts straight.

Nope, not slamming you at all. Don't live where you live so I don't know what you pay for stuff. A bottle of Motorex up here is $20, as are most "motorcycle specific" oils. Have yet to see a guy running Motorex or like wise get any better results wear and tear wise then what I get on a Rotella....Not an opinion either, it's a fact!

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2014 - 05:01 PM

You just don't get over anything, do you, Gunner? 

You can clutter up the discussion in any way you might want, although I'm not sure anyone here is terribly entertained by your various grudges against me personally.  But the fact remains that that the admonition to avoid synthetics during break in is entirely based on a wholly outdated fallacy, and that's all there is to it.

Sorry.

Monk:

Regarding Rotella, it has always been a really great engine oil, in both flavors.  What it used to lack was the ability to stay in grade (retain its viscosity) for longer than two hours use in any kind of a transmission.  That problem was shared by a good many oils not ten years ago, and is caused by the fact that the additives that allow the creation of multi-grade oils are inherently physically fragile, and those used in most engine oils were not up to the job of lubing even a very light transmission.  The result is that what started out as a 5W-40 quickly became a 5W-25, or thereabouts.  Beginning about that long ago, some blenders came to realize this and started using the more robust additives then recently developed expressly so that multi-grade gear oils would be possible.  This practice has spread quite a bit, and now the number of shear stable oils you can buy is much greater than it used to be.  The good news for you is that Shell has gotten on board with this now, and recent UOA's of Rotella show that it's been much improved in that regard.  Still, there's not often a way to know that up front, as Amsoil MCF and MCV are the only two I know of that put the compliance with API GL-1 on their label.

Then too, it's always been so cheap that one could actually afford to spend the money, if not the time, on an oil change for every ride.  Not necessary any more.

• Zackdocks

Posted December 19, 2014 - 10:55 AM

Gray that makes a lot of sense. I suppose the only argument left for using petroleum oil for break in would be cost. I ran the synth for the initial break in, after warming up I rode about 45 mins with lots of accel and engine braking, 1/4 throttle runs then 1/2 throttle runs then 3/4 and eventually full throttle, engine braking every time. The bike is incredibly fast, I'm going to name it "&%$#@! Pucker" hahaha. Once I got home I changed the oil and filter, and filled it up with quaker state 10w-40 which I'll run for the next ride. After that I will change to either amsoil synth or motul. Next step is to skid plate it up and do a few offroad friendly mods. Planning on making a titanium skid at work.

• Gunner354

Posted December 19, 2014 - 11:04 AM

You just don't get over anything, do you, Gunner?

You can clutter up the discussion in any way you might want, although I'm not sure anyone here is terribly entertained by your various grudges against me personally. But the fact remains that that the admonition to avoid synthetics during break in is entirely based on a wholly outdated fallacy, and that's all there is to it.

Sorry.

Monk:

Regarding Rotella, it has always been a really great engine oil, in both flavors. What it used to lack was the ability to stay in grade (retain its viscosity) for longer than two hours use in any kind of a transmission. That problem was shared by a good many oils not ten years ago, and is caused by the fact that the additives that allow the creation of multi-grade oils are inherently physically fragile, and those used in most engine oils were not up to the job of lubing even a very light transmission. The result is that what started out as a 5W-40 quickly became a 5W-25, or thereabouts. Beginning about that long ago, some blenders came to realize this and started using the more robust additives then recently developed expressly so that multi-grade gear oils would be possible. This practice has spread quite a bit, and now the number of shear stable oils you can buy is much greater than it used to be. The good news for you is that Shell has gotten on board with this now, and recent UOA's of Rotella show that it's been much improved in that regard. Still, there's not often a way to know that up front, as Amsoil MCF and MCV are the only two I know of that put the compliance with API GL-1 on their label.

Then too, it's always been so cheap that one could actually afford to spend the money, if not the time, on an oil change for every ride. Not necessary any more.

It only appears to be clutter when someone doesn't agree with you and may have another option or idea. That's clearly obvious!
There are no grudges by me at all. I am above that and enjoy a healthy debate. It's really to bad an intelligent individual like yourself would not let someone have the freedom of speech we all are supposed to have.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zackdocks

Posted December 19, 2014 - 12:34 PM

But anyways, more about my bike being awesome

• grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2014 - 01:44 PM

...I am above that ...

Yes, of course you are.

The bike is incredibly fast, I'm going to name it "&%$#@! Pucker"

It's '15?  57 "fer reals" horsepower is a whole big bucketful, ain't it?

• Zackdocks

Posted December 19, 2014 - 02:15 PM

It's a leftover 13 but I'm coming off an 03 wr250f with an fmf pipe, so probably 25 more hp than I'm used to and less weight

• Monk

Posted December 19, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Where in BC you from Zack?

• Zackdocks

Posted December 19, 2014 - 03:10 PM

Lower mainland, living in Surrey

• grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2014 - 06:07 PM

It's a leftover 13 but I'm coming off an 03 wr250f with an fmf pipe, so probably 25 more hp than I'm used to and less weight

The '13's ran in the neighborhood of 51-53 depending on mapping and whatnot, but yes, there's a contrast between the two bikes, alright. :smirk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.