Lowering for a 426?

40 replies to this topic
  • underground-mpyre

Posted December 15, 2014 - 07:56 AM

I have already been badgered by the locals at the riding park about lowering the bike will lose ground clearance(I already know). But if you are like me with short stumpy legs and riding a bike too tall for your needs and not able to control it in the loose muddy stuff without falling over, it really sucks the fun out of riding. I love my tractor, just need to lower it a little to be able to enjoy it and have control keeping it up right in the loose stuff.

So what I am asking is what I can do to lower it and does anybody make a lowering kit for the 426? I am looking at to bring it down to .75" of an inch for my needs, not much but just enough.

• fdme

Posted December 15, 2014 - 09:38 AM

Before you lower it and do lose some ground clearance you could try out a lower seat or shave your own if you haven't already. Losing a little padding shouldn't hurt nothing when the stock seat feels like a board anyways :)

I have a 400 and only 29-30" inseam and having a thinner seat helped me a lot.

Just a thought.

I'm sure however if you google lowering link for yz/wr 426/400 you will probably find some options

Edited by fdme, December 15, 2014 - 09:40 AM.

• underground-mpyre

Posted December 15, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I have a 28 3/4" inseam(not fun finding pants that aren't baggy).  Shaving the seat is an idea.

• stevethe

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:17 AM

I have SDG take an inch out of the front of my seats.

• underground-mpyre

Posted December 16, 2014 - 12:18 PM

Is it still comfortable to ride when you shave that much?

• stevethe

Posted December 16, 2014 - 12:21 PM

I don't think Yamaha seats are ever comfortable.
They say it's softer cut It's not. About the same.

• rah7777777

Posted December 16, 2014 - 03:30 PM

I dropped my 450 2.5".

Had Mikes Suspension in Oklahoma do it.

And just started chopping the seat today. For my needs (road and light trails) it's perfect.

Had a yamalink originally from previous owner but took that off when the shocks and forks were internally lowered.

I got about 12 quotes and he was 2nd to cheapest but really sounded like he knew his stuff. Even with shipping everything I think the value was great!

• Chaconne

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I had these guys:   http://www.fishersad....com/seats.html do a custom lowered seat for my WR450 and it is awesome. They used the original seat pan and were also able to widen the seat just a bit so it is way more comfortable than the typical Yamaha campfire log. Wasn't cheap but was well worth it for me.

Edited by Chaconne, December 16, 2014 - 05:28 PM.

• underground-mpyre

Posted December 17, 2014 - 05:46 AM

Is the seat pan from all the models 400/426/450 all the same? I would like to have a back up if I go that route

• stevethe

Posted December 17, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Is the seat pan from all the models 400/426/450 all the same? I would like to have a back up if I go that route

All different.

2013-10-04165953_zpsefc47f15.jpg

Edited by stevethe, December 17, 2014 - 06:11 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • underground-mpyre

Posted December 17, 2014 - 07:31 AM

Ok thanks!  I am going to lower the seat and go from there. I am hoping I don't need a lowering kit, but I might have to though.

• stevethe

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Ok thanks!  I am going to lower the seat and go from there. I am hoping I don't need a lowering kit, but I might have to though.

You probably don't need to I think I am shorter. I run my dirt bike with just a shorter seat. My supermoto I use 1" lowered suspension and the lowered seat. But that's because I don't need that much travel on the street.

If you do the suspension it should be professionally lowered and you might as well re valve it at the same time.

• underground-mpyre

Posted December 17, 2014 - 10:26 AM

You probably don't need to I think I am shorter. I run my dirt bike with just a shorter seat. My supermoto I use 1" lowered suspension and the lowered seat. But that's because I don't need that much travel on the street.

If you do the suspension it should be professionally lowered and you might as well re valve it at the same time.

Revalve the forks you mean? Who would I even ask to have the suspension professionally lowered, local dealer?

• stevethe

Posted December 17, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Revalve the forks you mean? Who would I even ask to have the suspension professionally lowered, local dealer?

I had Racetech do my WR450 stock supermoto forks and shock. Then when I upgraded to Ohlins I had Dave at FBI Fast bike industries revalve and lower the forks and shock. Either one are very good however for stock Yamaha stuff I would do Racetech.

• underground-mpyre

Posted December 17, 2014 - 03:21 PM

If I got down the road and needed the bike lowered; front shocks to Racetech and get a lowering link for the rear?

• stevethe

Posted December 17, 2014 - 03:27 PM

If I got down the road and needed the bike lowered; front shocks to Racetech and get a lowering link for the rear?

No lowering links do not work well. Do the forks and shock together.

• underground-mpyre

Posted December 18, 2014 - 06:55 AM

What is the ball park that is all going to cost from Racetech? Just curious.

• stevethe

Posted December 18, 2014 - 07:08 AM

I can't remember but it's not too cheap if you mention Thumpertalk you get a pretty good discount. I ended up buying the gold valves and doing it myself. The forks needed a circlip grove machined and they did that. The rear shock just uses spacers to lower it that they sell. Call and ask.

• YamaLink

Posted December 18, 2014 - 08:07 AM

My vote is for Fisher, also. Great, outstanding products. And for the OP who only wants about .75 inches it's the best option.

To the OP.....is your sag set correctly? Sometimes you can get "free" lowering if the sag setting isn't enough. Meaning: if a bike is at 3.25" and the recommended is about 4 inches, well, there's your .75" "free" sag. Just a thought.

As someone else commented, lowering links do NOT work well.... if you are not properly sprung for the extra leverage and do not reset sag and take the time to dial in the bike. That bike will wallow, bottom and understeer and feel like you're riding double with a sack of bricks on the fender. But if you do respring and reset sag the bike actually gets better traction, is more plush, does not deflect off rocks or beat you on braking bumps and roots, and the lower center of gravity has many good qualities.

Give Fisher a call!

Fisher's Upholstery

661 E. Beacon Light Rd.

Eagle, ID 83616

contact_phone.jpg

Edited by YamaLink, December 18, 2014 - 08:08 AM.

• underground-mpyre

Posted December 18, 2014 - 10:18 AM

My vote is for Fisher, also.

Give Fisher a call!

Fisher's Upholstery

661 E. Beacon Light Rd.

Eagle, ID 83616

Do they do upholstery(seats) or suspension? I would like to work on the seat first and if that doesn't work, go with the suspension on lowering it for my needs.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.