2013 yz450 best budget improvments?

12 replies to this topic
  • yz133rider

Posted December 15, 2014 - 01:31 AM

I am looking to smooth out the bark off idle, and make the big girl easier to ride for longer. More forgiving, less tiring.

Whats the best bang for the buck? Im considering hanging the largest flywheel weight i can find and go from there.

I ride moto, but am a small bore rider. This 450 is a monster and while i am adapting any tips would be great.

• YamaLink

Posted December 15, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Try Steahly for a flywheel if GYTR doesn't have anything in addition to minor gearing changes.

• SAthump

Posted December 15, 2014 - 07:47 AM

The flywheel won't make a big enough difference even with tuning!

I just got my TB back from injectionering but unfortunately it was delayed, and I had hip surgery so I won't be able to ride it till August

But from others input that's the solution, and the premise has validity

• neoxaero

Posted December 15, 2014 - 12:01 PM

I'm dealing with the same issue on my 2013 as well. I'm going to order the tuner and see how it does.

I installed a Rekluse clutch and LOVE it. It definitely helped with the low in jerk

I recently went up 2 teeth in the rear so I can run 3-4th instead of 2-3rd more frequently. Seemed to help a bit... Overall staying higher in the rev's takes the bark away and makes the bike easier to ride.

I think suspension is the best thing to do to make the bike less of a pain in the ass though!

• gofaster450

Posted December 15, 2014 - 03:12 PM

I have a 2012 but is sounds like the 13 has the same jerky throttle response issues that the 10-12's had. The single best mod to cure this is the Injectioneering mod to the throttle body followed by a flywheel weight.

The tuner did little to change the jerky nature at initial throttle opening although it does enable you to change the characteristics of the power a bit. Prior to the TB mod and the flywheel addition, I tried the G2 throttle tamer tube which essentially slows down the ratio between how much you twist the throttle and the TB butterfly. The G2 tube is a very nice piece but it also did little to really affect the jerky nature of the bike. After the TB mod and flywheel weight I went back to the stock throttle tube.

Combined, the Injectioneering TB mod and the flywheel  are not cheap but really transform the bike for off road use. I would do these two mods before the tuner. As a matter of fact, my bike only gets used off road and with the two mentioned mods I have gone back to the stock tune as it hits a sweet spot for the conditions I ride in.

• 1stSSPZ

Posted December 18, 2014 - 01:12 PM

Have a 13'.  After installing the GYTR 4.4 oz flywheel the jerk off idle has been eliminated. The added flywheel also helped to get rid of the light front end feeling. Spent $100 on the Lightspeed engine relocation kit, worth every penny. Put on a much better front tire and changed bars to the Windham RM mid/hi bend. As good as anything I have ever ridden.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz133rider

Posted December 19, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Sounds awesome. Im pumped for spring to get here. I am/was very nervous moving to the 450 but im hoping to adapt and use its advantages.

So easy to ride it wrong, fight it and be tired in half a lap. Whereas a 125 or 250f way more forgiving. Just have to adjust.

• YzCas

Posted December 19, 2014 - 10:16 AM

I have a 14 I tamed the beast with the core rekluse and I have a pretty aggressive tune the rekluse really helps.

• mxracer384

Posted December 28, 2014 - 12:08 PM

I have a 13 and the tuner can take away that off idle bark. I am saving up for the gytr flywheel because I have run one before on my 2 smoker and it was amazing! Get the tuner! When you see how easy and endless the possibilities with it are you will know your money was well spent.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2014 - 01:04 PM

The off-idle jerkiness seems to have been at least partially dealt with by Yamaha somewhere between the '10, which causes the most complaints of it, and the '13, for which most people say "isn't bad", or can be adjusted out to a satisfactory level.

• Dexter42

Posted December 28, 2014 - 01:19 PM

I have a 13 and the tuner can take away that off idle bark. I am saving up for the gytr flywheel because I have run one before on my 2 smoker and it was amazing! Get the tuner! When you see how easy and endless the possibilities with it are you will know your money was well spent.

What map you running?

• SAthump

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:48 AM

@ gray

Must be because it didn't do poop on my 12', mapping was my first try.

Flywheel was negligible

Edited by SAthump, December 30, 2014 - 08:08 PM.

• mxracer384

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:18 AM

So after a long 10 months of dealing with the off idle bark.  I found part of the answer..... Bring your idle speed up to 2000 rpm.  Mine was set at 1700 rpm and it was a nasty bark.  you can do this with the tuner.  I did that plus the smooth or soft maps and now it is very minimal.  The flywheel will come very shortly because I am starting to race some Hare Scrambles.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.