oil cooler

50 replies to this topic
  • Indy_WR450

Posted July 08, 2006 - 02:25 PM

I am mounting a Jagg oil cooler on the left side in front of the radiator it will be only 2" wide and 8" tall. I am making a bracket that will connect between the 2 sides of the unabiker radiator guards. The unabiker front guard will remount 2" forward on the shroud side but it the same position on the frame side. This will leave enough room for the new cooler (with any oversize gas tank) to mount to my new "Z" bracket and still have rad/oil cooler protection from crashes. I will post pictures , dimension sheets and costs for those that are interested after I have tested the new set up. It should add 6 - 8 ounces of new oil to the system. It will really help those with a Rekluse. :ride:

• pops 56

Posted July 08, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Indy_WR450 .That will be good if you post pics when you have done it.Where are you getting the oil feed from?.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 08, 2006 - 04:37 PM

It will be on the oil pump pressure side. Stay tuned for details and pictures in the next couple of weeks. I willl ask my buddy DDialogue to host it on his www.wr450.com web site.

• boomman

Posted July 08, 2006 - 07:19 PM

Sorry this pick might be easier to see what I am on about..
http://i47.photobuck...56/oiltank1.jpg

Humm...interesting. Looks good. How well is it protected when the bike goes down? I'd hate to have that thing ripped off in the middle of nowhere.

Owning a bunch of XR's, their oil coolers seem to be the most logical adaptation. They're also protected from most crashes (at least any that aren't going to really screw up the rest of your bike). The question is, can the oil pump produce the extra pressure that's needed for the extra workload?

• firezwr426

Posted July 09, 2006 - 12:12 PM

The question is, can the oil pump produce the extra pressure that's needed for the extra workload?

does the wr use the same oil pump as the yfz quad? it would appear to me that moving the oil throug the tank on the quad couldn't be any harder than what you guys are tring to do here.. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pops 56

Posted July 09, 2006 - 09:44 PM

does the wr use the same oil pump as the yfz quad? it would appear to me that moving the oil throug the tank on the quad couldn't be any harder than what you guys are tring to do here.. :ride:

Yes firezwr426 .I think the quad has the same pump.I am still trying to work out which oil line to cut into. I think the left side under the Gear changer is the pressure side from what i can see in my manual . I think the right hand side pipe with the frame filter in it is gravity so it will be no good cutting into. Please correct me if i am wrong.Cheers.

• CharlesFP

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:28 AM

There must be a reason why the aftermarket seems to be lacking an answer to this question. Yamaha has been making the same basic engine design for almost 10 years now, you'd think that somebody would have manufactured an external oil resevoir or cooler by now if it were necessary and practical. A buddy of mine just mounted an aftermarket external oil tank to his CRF 450, which needed it desperately because that thing only holds what, 600 cc's of oil. The only mods I've seen to the Yamaha's circulatory system on the aftermarket, is the wet-sump conversion which actually decreases the amount of oil capacity. If 1100 cc's weren't enough, than why would the Yamaha 4 stroke still be considered the most reliable design of all the manufacturers?
As far as crafting your own oil cooler or whatever, everyone should be really careful about making their design totally bullet-proof. Having no oil sucks.
Wouldn't there be some way to use another part of the frame as an external oil resevoir?
My question is, are the motors (KTM, Suzuki, not sure who else) with higher oil capacity than the Yamaha more reliable?

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 10, 2006 - 12:15 PM

My issue with the Yamaha is when running the Rekluse at high altitude (10,000. plus feet) on 3 mile gnarly climbs you can smell the oil burning! The stock clutch was never as hard on the oil. Bigger radiators will not help cool the oil. So I have to run an oil cooler or stop every mile of nasty climb. The extra 6 - 8 ounces will also help quite a bit. The only draw back I am anticipating is when doing an oil change I will have to disconnect one of the lines to the cooler to get the trapped oil out. I will fully test it one weekend for leaks and flow. I wil be running semi clear high temp (350 degree) fiber reinforced pure silicone tubing so I can see the oil pump through it. I will post a write up with pics in the next few weeks. :ride:

• firezwr426

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:17 PM

i'll be wathcing for it....

• GCannon

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:43 PM

How about an oil cooler off a Ducati Monster or a Japanese 600 compact with good air flow. Then fabricate a custom glide plate in place of the existing skid plate add vent holes with a trash screen mount the cooler between the glide plate and the lower engine case between the lower frame rails . this will make for a street only bike but should be good for supermoto. The oil line will be close by and fairly easy to tap into.
Option two Bob the front fender make a guard style mount and mount the square frame down tube( oil reservoir careful welding) again street only. Please show us what it looks like when you finish

• ncampion

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:05 PM

My 98' WR with Rekluse clutch has never had any oil temp issues. Of course my older bike does have 1700cc of oil, not sure why they ever decreased the capacity. I have an oil temp gauge dipstick and I never see it exceed 210 degrees F ever on hot days with hard riding. The clutch does sometimes get tight after a hard ride, but I expect that to some degree. Maybe a few extra cc's of oil is all your new bikes really need.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.