oil cooler

50 replies to this topic
  • sabin

Posted February 07, 2004 - 08:47 PM

If the frame design is the same as 426 cant you put more oil so the oil level goes up in the frame??? I understand that the oil check stick will be under the oil, but who cares... Maybe it will be problem when the bike sits for a long time and all the oil goes in the engine, but then again it is the same with the 426 engine...

• Xmen

Posted February 08, 2004 - 12:46 AM

I just got the following tip from a friend : he sead to check out how the ATV guys manage the oil problem. It seems that on a Yamaha YFZ 450 ATV there is an external oil reservoir. So this means that (if the engine is indeed basically the same) that the possibility exists to connect a comparable reservoir or an aditional oil radiator to the WR 450. This friend told me that in his opinion, total oil capacity is much more important than the temperature, so he would go for the additional reservoir, more than for the radiator. Do any of you guys know how the oil management on the YFZ is done ? It could maybe bring some solutions for the WR.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 08, 2004 - 04:26 AM

Just like a Harley has an oil tank the YZ450 ATV has one? I will have to check it out at the dealer. :)

• ddialogue

Posted February 08, 2004 - 04:29 AM

I remember asking the sales guy when it first came out what that black tank was under the subframe. Maybe it was on the front? I can't remember... :) :D

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 08, 2004 - 02:39 PM

I have a feeling that overfilling these bikes with oil is a bad thing. Oil could get aerated and also you would get a lot more oil coming out of the breather tube which would defeat the purpose. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 08, 2004 - 06:53 PM

I agree you dont want to overfill the engine but there must be a way to add volume to the oil circuit without changing the level in the engine. :)

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 09, 2004 - 02:29 AM

Indy, I agree with you. I don't think overfilling the frame tank would be the answer as proposed in an earlier post. Makes me think, though, about how an external tank would work if it sits higher than the frame tank. How does the engine know how high an oil level to keep in the motor? I am also :)

• Xmen

Posted February 09, 2004 - 07:42 AM

Indy, I agree with you. I don't think overfilling the frame tank would be the answer as proposed in an earlier post. Makes me think, though, about how an external tank would work if it sits higher than the frame tank. How does the engine know how high an oil level to keep in the motor? I am also :)

Good question... :D That (could) indicate that an external oil tank should be mounted low, lets say at the same level for instance as the crankcase. Lots of questions... :D

• lightestYZF

Posted February 09, 2004 - 08:47 AM

You don't want to overfill the oil tank because there is a small over flow hose that runs from the tank to cylinder head (left side of frame under tank). When oil is overfilled it goes to head and gets pushed out vent hose. This is why we get oil dripping questions all the time from people who check oil without first running engine.

Now the trick setup would be like a Buell and partition off the front part of the alum swingarm as an oil resivour.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 09, 2004 - 04:16 PM

Ahhh...THAT'S what that little hose does! I never put two and two together before but it make sense now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • carbonbody

Posted February 11, 2004 - 11:08 AM

I'm glad you guys are having this discussion. I've got a WR426 engine in a road racing frame and thinking about the oiling system now. I'd rather not run an oil tank, so I'm been thinking about a large oil cooler instead and filling the crank case from the small hole on the side cover. If the wet sump conversion holds enough oil, then I dont see why adding an oil cooler wouldn't work. However, I am wondering about the little tube. I dont think its for overflow. I think its a breather to keep the system from vapor locking. As you burn oil, air needs to replace what is missing. Right?

thanks...and keep up this thread.

• Xmen

Posted February 12, 2004 - 10:15 AM

Carbonbody, why should a wet sump conversion be necessary ? It should be possible to stick to the dry sump, and add an extra tank or an oil cooler. (at least, I hope it is possible )

• carbonbody

Posted February 12, 2004 - 11:49 AM

no..no.. I am saying that a wet sump is NOT needed. I was saying that IF a wet sump works, then I dont see why a dry sump with a cooler wouldnt work.

I've found a NASCAR oil filter that is 2" diameter and 7" long. That plus a cooler should give me plenty of oil.

• BEAN329

Posted February 12, 2004 - 06:47 PM

Adding a oil cooler would be great. If the radiators had the extra capacity you could place the cooling tubes inside one of the radiators, (like cars do). I know a rad shop in maryland that could do this. But this will definately increase the temp of the coolant going to the cylinder. As far as the small tube coming from the top of the frame, I thing it's just a vent for the top of the oil chamber but the result is the same if you overfill the system you will get seepage.

• Xmen

Posted February 23, 2004 - 10:25 AM

Still not a solution found for the oil cooler thing... :D

I found this interesting oil cooler on a german website.

Seems very high quality. There is a picture for a XR600 and a KTM 620. They mention in the text (I know, it is in german :) ) that there is an universal kit for 159 euro. What do you guys think ? Would this be a suitable solution ? I would think to mount it like they do on the pictures : rather low, so that the total amount of oil in the bike is now higher, but it gets only to the same level in the frame.

Otherwise, absolutely no usable info from an ATV dealer. He could not tell me if an oil tank from an YZ 450 ATV would fit on the WR 450. Any of you had better luck in getting answers ?

• emcdan

Posted February 26, 2004 - 10:45 AM

I put an xr250 cooler on an xr600r once. It worked pretty good. I think Scott Summers started this movement about 10 or 12 years ago. You can weld mounts or directly to the steering head. These coolers are pretty small...but I would agree that the extra oil capacity is the key more so than tiny units ability to cool. You can add about 1/4 quart of oil with this unit.

There is no reason why it wouldn't work well on the Yammys. You'd have to customize some oils though.

• carbonbody

Posted March 02, 2004 - 10:46 AM

Still not a solution found for the oil cooler thing... :)

I just picked up 2 different coolers off ebay. $5 each...both look new. One is off a ZX6 and the other is off a hawk. Got them both cause wasnt sure which would fit best.

• Brettv

Posted June 05, 2004 - 02:38 AM

anyone made any progress with this thread?? anyone tried to mount an oil cooler?
im thinkin bout goin down to the wreckers and playin around, see what i dig up

• pops 56

Posted July 08, 2006 - 05:17 AM

Do you think this will work ?.I will have my new oil tank this week (off ebay) and new oil line (off ebay) if it does not work . I am going to cut the oil feed line from the engine to the frame . A auto center here is going to expand the ends of the pipe so the hose stays on with a hose clamp .I will mount the oil tank on a bracket with the two bolts that hold down the head See pick. It should fit snug .The oil tank holds 350cc and will be full all the time .. I use the bike for desert riding high speed tracks I think even a extra 350cc of oil will help. All up the cost will be around $40.00 . What do you think .Posted Image

• pops 56

Posted July 08, 2006 - 05:23 AM

Sorry this pick might be easier to see what I am on about..

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.