about to set a yz450f on fire

5 replies to this topic
  • ajon

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:25 PM

bike is leaking coolent from the little hole under the water pump 

water pump has had a new shaft plus seals and rubber put in it yet it still leaks what else could be causing this problem?

• Rooster72

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Are we talking about the drain plug?

• Calhoun117

Posted December 12, 2014 - 11:18 PM

The hole is there to allow usually a very small amount of coolant too leak out that makes its way past the seal (few drops a year). If coolant is leaking out of that hole it means your seal is junk, even if its new you did a half ass job, make sure ALL OF THE OLD SEAL/GASKET is off before installing the new one. Use razor blades to scrape it off and then use contact cleaner and a scotch brite pad. And make sure the new gasket is centered correctly and aligned.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2014 - 07:59 AM

What year is it?  Did you orient the seals correctly?

SealsLabeledsm.jpg

• Juice222

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:52 PM

I had an 06 crf with the same problem. I must have changed the seal 5 times along with bearings shaft and nothing worked. Turns out that it was the counter balancing shaft that was messed up, which in turn caused the impeller shaft to have play. I'd pull out the counter balancing shaft and see how that looks. Good luck man hope that works, I know how frustrating it was for me!

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2015 - 07:30 PM

That can happen to a YZF, too:

http://www.thumperta...ter-pump-seals/

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.