Chains?

9 replies to this topic
  • rojapar

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Whats the best out there in the o-ring/x-ring type?  By best, I mean the most stretch resistant and longest lasting. I'm not worried about any hp reduction from and o-ring/bigger/heavier chain.  Just looking for the heaviest duty and longest lasting.

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:47 AM

I get excellent service from the Regina ORN6 .  They last me well over a year of desert and MX use, and I replace them when they are 1.5% longer than new, not 2%, as Yamaha recommends.  The resulting sprocket life from such a small amount of stretch is also impressive. 

• mdsharon

Posted December 12, 2014 - 10:53 AM

DID are real good but primary drive sells chain and spocket set for 89 bucks seems to work just fine.. .. change them as set JMO..

• alh583

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:28 PM

i've been a fan of primary drive o ring chains for the price. Last me along time  

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:33 PM

I use RK MXZU on my 450 and they last the whole season of MX racing and practice's. At the end of the year I still practice with it on but change it out along with new Vortex sprockets before the next season. Time wise..........this is usually 36hrs ride time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2014 - 07:59 AM

36 hours?  In the season and a half I get from the Regina ORN6, there are 14 desert races that run roughly two hours each, plus an hour or so of riding the day before, plus probably a dozen ride days scattered in at what I'll call an hour each, just to be conservative.  So I'm looking at 54 hours a year times 1.5, which is 81 hours.  Even then, the only reason the last one got replaced was that the top and bottom edges of the plates had run over the guides so long that they were worn down to where the master link clip was flush with the edges of the plates.  36 hours doesn't seem like such good service to me.  Because of the lack of chain stretch, the rear sprocket usually lasts through two chains.

• Wiz636

Posted March 18, 2015 - 10:41 AM

I run the Regina ORN6 as well and they are excellent. I had 131 hours on my last one when I took it to Baja. Put another 1,660 miles on it down there. It's finally time for a new one.

• torkd14

Posted March 18, 2015 - 02:41 PM

I'd stray away from primary drive, spent 2 hours in the back country fixing one that snapped on a buddies bike. It was garbage, the metal looked soft the way one of the links stretched and finally pulled apart.

Renthal, DID, and RK racing chains have all been good too me.

• Gunner354

Posted March 18, 2015 - 03:45 PM

36 hours? In the season and a half I get from the Regina ORN6, there are 14 desert races that run roughly two hours each, plus an hour or so of riding the day before, plus probably a dozen ride days scattered in at what I'll call an hour each, just to be conservative. So I'm looking at 54 hours a year times 1.5, which is 81 hours. Even then, the only reason the last one got replaced was that the top and bottom edges of the plates had run over the guides so long that they were worn down to where the master link clip was flush with the edges of the plates. 36 hours doesn't seem like such good service to me. Because of the lack of chain stretch, the rear sprocket usually lasts through two chains.

I've had good luck with the DID x ring and master than was riveted on. Pretty easy with the right tool and no worries like Gray experienced

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:05 PM

I've had good luck with the DID x ring and master than was riveted on. Pretty easy with the right tool and no worries like Gray experienced

It's not a worry.  I install them right, and the Regina master link is interference fit.  I've never lost one, although I have replaced clips that were badly worn. The chain plates were also worn to the point that rollers were starting to contact the guides. 

But, if one wanted a riveted master link version of the ORN6, it's available as the ORS6.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.