CycleNews 450 comparison, pg42....

12 replies to this topic
  • YamaLink

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Starts on page 42 of http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/430196

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted December 12, 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'm a Yamaha guy.  Been on Yamaha bikes for most of my life since 1978. I would ride other bikes, but Yamaha bikes have been good.  

This year, I've noticed ALL the magazines are talking obout how good the new YZ 450 is.  Last year it was 3rd, sometimes forth.  Really changed that much with a fork tube sanction change and different engine mounts and now it is the best.   No contest.

REALLY?  C'mon, those are small changes to a bike.  Plus, I have been told the fork tube thickness is less than .01 mm in difference.  Valving may have changed, but the bike is essentially the same. These magazine comparisons are so biased.

I have been riding a Yamaha's  'TOAD" bikes since 2010.  I have owned every model since 2010-2015.  I have spoken on here about the 2010 YZ 450 in 2010 and how it rode different than previous bikes, but once you adapted to it, it was a great platform. It is different, but good

Anyhow, I find very little difference with the 2010-2015 as far as handling or power.  They ALL have a lot of power. ALL OF THEM. The 14 platform is slightly better than the 2010-2013, but not that much different. Both platforms share the same stability and turning characteristics as the other. The suspension, when sprung right for the rider, behaves essentially the same.  

I find it ironic that when JS7 didn't win, it was the bike. Now the bike is great. Either everyone was missing the boat and styles have changed on riding bikes, or everyone has come to Yamaha's way of thinking.  Either way, the 2015 isn't really any different than the 2014, and not a lot different than the 2010-2013 it replaced.

• masua

Posted December 12, 2014 - 05:24 PM

The 14' platform is slightly better than the 2010-2013?  Are you serious?  Have ridden them back to back?  I've owned them all and can honestly say the new 14' and 15" are FAR BETTER bikes.  Really? 

Posted December 12, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Yes. I have had them all. And the 15 doesn't really do anything different than the 14, unless maybe you go Barcia speed. I'm not an elite, so I can't comment on that type of riding speed.  I am not knocking the bikes, but the way they are tested.....

The platform of the last 6 bikes is really similar if you look at it on paper, and I think all this "hype" about how much better the 15 over the 14 is just that.  "HYPE". 

The platform of a Yamaha is so much different than a Kawi or Honda, because on those, you seem to sit "in the bike" rather than like the Yamaha, where you "sit on the bike".  Relatively speaking of course. Maybe the testers style of riding is changing, because the bikes are not that much different.

I know I'm in the minority here, and others will disagree, 

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens, December 12, 2014 - 06:10 PM.

• Bremer120

Posted December 13, 2014 - 06:18 AM

I'm kinda with you on this one. Over at the 2 stroke forum, the yz250 mysteriously won the shootout when it's lost or came second to ktm almost every year. In that case that bike hasn't had major change since 2006. I feel like that's kind of the same thing going on here. You're right the 15 isn't much different from the 14. At least not enough to make it a hands down winner over last years almost last place. With this difference in ranking it makes me think back and wonder about previous years. Maybe money plays a part in the winner, although it shouldn't, who knows. Either way I feel like all the bikes now are superior no matter what color you choose. I'm happy with my YZ no matter where it ranks.

• torkd14

Posted December 13, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Getting off my 2011 YZ450 and on to a buddies 2014 YZ450 felt like a night and day difference. His bike handled better, felt more balanced and the difference in how the power was delivered was awesome. I'm buying a 2014 this spring for sure! Not gonna bother with the 2015 because of price and I really don't think it will be that big of a difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted December 13, 2014 - 08:06 AM

I'm kinda with you on this one. Over at the 2 stroke forum, the yz250 mysteriously won the shootout when it's lost or came second to ktm almost every year. In that case that bike hasn't had major change since 2006. I feel like that's kind of the same thing going on here. You're right the 15 isn't much different from the 14. At least not enough to make it a hands down winner over last years almost last place. With this difference in ranking it makes me think back and wonder about previous years. Maybe money plays a part in the winner, although it shouldn't, who knows. Either way I feel like all the bikes now are superior no matter what color you choose. I'm happy with my YZ no matter where it ranks.

Exactly!  

Hype to sell bikes.

• ah665

Posted December 15, 2014 - 05:59 AM

I feel like you make some solid point, GPL. And yes, as Bremer said, same goes with the 2 stroke this year. I found it odd about both shootouts. Either way, they are awesome bikes.

• drtrcr400

Posted December 15, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Damn, this is a tough crowd. First we crucify the magazines for slamming the Yamaha, then we criticize them for naming Yamaha the winner. Oh btw, is my bike really 6.5 ft long?

Posted December 15, 2014 - 02:43 PM

Damn, this is a tough crowd. First we crucify the magazines for slamming the Yamaha, then we criticize them for naming Yamaha the winner. Oh btw, is my bike really 6.5 ft long?

Never slammed the bikes.  Just the way that the same bikes are tested........

I for one ALWAYS thought the bikes were good.  Said that in my opening statement at the top of this thread.  Even said they weren't much different throughout the years (the 450's) and the 250 is basically the same since 2006,

BUT

the magazines have seemed to come around to Yamaha's way of thinking for essentially the same bikes of a few years ago.  That is the point I am trying to make.

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens, December 15, 2014 - 02:46 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'm going to have to disagree.  From my observations, the '10-'13's are distinctly different from the '14-'15, which are both much more refined than the earlier models, and the only way that someone could think the '15 wasn't any different from the '14 is to not ride them hard.  The engine alone would be enough for anyone to pick up on.  Ferocious.

• Phil Hannah

Posted December 15, 2014 - 03:35 PM

Had a 10 and the 15 is on another level

• mikedabike

Posted December 16, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I think they are very similar.  But on the 14/15 everything is just more refined.  The motor is a bit better and doesn't have the unrefined throttle response of the 10-13.  It turns a bit better.  The ergos are a bit better. etc etc.

That all adds up to a significant improvement. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.