Fly wheel puller size?

5 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted December 10, 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have a Fly wheel puller that I had bought from RMATVMC when I had my 2010 YZ450. I was wondering if it would fit on my new 2015 YZ250 (2-stroke).  If not is there a compromise?   I have a GYTR 8.4oz Fly wheel I'm wanting to put on tomorrow evening so I can try it out Sunday at the track.

I know that proper tools are needed to be used for the job but sometimes there is tricks or other ways to do certain things.  Like for example:  using a threaded rod with some nuts and washers on it to make a tool to press swing arm bearings out where other wise you would have to buy a tool from motion pro for $80.

Just wondering if there was another way to get the stock fly wheel off and the GYTR on with out having to use a puller if the one I have wont work.

I seen where some people say to use a Air impact gun.  I can see using that to get the outer nut off but how to pull the Fly wheel off? 

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:57 AM

The only thing that will do the job without damage is the correct puller, period. 

It takes the same puller, anyway, so no worries.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 11, 2014 - 03:49 PM

The only thing that will do the job without damage is the correct puller, period. 

It takes the same puller, anyway, so no worries

Good!   Thanks gray!........I know you're straight up an by the book an thats why it's good learning from you.  In the past I would take short cuts but now I'm more of doing it the right way like you state.    I just seen on RMATVMC the puller for a YZ250 was a 24mm  and then looked at the 450 an it said 27mm  ..... and I was like "dang"  i knew there would be a difference.     I was hoping to get this on tomorrow so I could ride it Sunday and try it out.

Glad it's the right one.     So now I can spend tomorrow greasing the swing-arm , A-arm and steering head instead of looking for a puller.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted December 13, 2014 - 08:33 AM

The puller wont work!.............The 24mm puller I have by Tusk has the inside threads.  It needs to have the threads on the out side of the socket.  Now the little nipple that threads on to the threads where you take the nut that holds the fly wheel on works but the socket part of the puller wont cause the threads to it are in the inside to where it needs to be on the outer part..............Imagine that!.......

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 13, 2014 - 03:05 PM

I went down to the shop an borrowed my friends puller which was the right one.  I got to thinking about the one I had and it was the one I had bought for the 06 450 when I had it.

I got the GTYR 8.4oz installed but took some thinking on how to get 40lbs of torque on the FW nut with out having the motor to turn.  I had a clutch holding tool that had the two nipples on one side but the two holes on the FW were a recessed deeper down on the GYTR.  The stock FW the two holes were flush on the top which made the clutch holding tool easy to apply it into the holes to get a good hold on it.

Anyways I had to think of a way to keep the FW from moving and I use a floor jack handle that was about 2 1/2 foot long and put it under the swingarm through the spokes.

This way when I tightened the bolt the handle would push against the swingarm underneath an keep the FW from moving. 

I just thought I would pass this method along so if anyone else needed to know.   Worked good for me.

• Family Man

Posted December 27, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Dead blow hammer tap flywheel comes riigt off.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.