First ride on new 2014 450

19 replies to this topic
  • broccoli2

Posted December 09, 2014 - 11:22 AM

So, as I've said in other posts,    i am NOT the best rider in the world.    The last time I was on 2 wheels in the dirt i waded up my 2008 WR450 at 70+ MPH...    i spent 14 days in the hospital      That was 9/11/2010     I will post a few pics of the aftermath if guys and girls are into gory photos  haha.... I was a timid rider to say the least.    

Anyway,  i picked this up on Black Friday and I have all the power up mods including,  Snorkel removal, Removal of the peashooter in the exhaust, and ECU...    I still had the hand guards from my old bike, (they were pretty screwed up after sliding down the dirt road at 70mph  haha)....        I have had a few street bikes lately  and for dirt I have been in my 2014 RZR XP1000.....     

When I first threw my leg over this thing I was (to be honest) a bit concerned I was going to sell it the next day...   So I start off slow.  Told my friends I was breaking in the new motor.  Rode for about 15 min up the fire roads and wanted the bike to cool down....   Got back on, still breaking it in but feeling much more comfortable.   About a half hour of ride time with a bit more throttle usage then wanted it to cool down again....   I got back on it and started to open it up a bit but didn't want to push it to much.    Road pretty mellow but doing all the breaking in crap, Varying the throttle etc....      after about 20 or so miles and really feeling good on the bike, i let it cool down again and eat my now smashed sandwich and warm gatorade...     After lunch, I am feeling much more confident and really start to ride like the good old days...   i'm not sure when it happened but at some point after lunch I started riding better than I have ever ridden,  My friends were having a hard time keeping up with me when i was leading  (none of my friends are that good either)  By the end of the day I was tearing it up climbing stuff with out even thinking about it,  that I would have gone around before, picking the hardest lines up hill that I could, including some pretty big rock faces (for me)  There in no way would I have done before.....     This was probably one of my best days of riding, ever!!!     

The first pic is from the first rest spot about 15 min into the day......

The second is after I loaded it up....

9D6BCE80-5507-406B-8D2A-75DDDB123AB9_zps

0D7C1FD5-BBB4-4DBC-8DA1-A1331614377F_zps

• AtomicGeo

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Nice!  :thumbsup:

• wadzi90

Posted December 09, 2014 - 11:40 PM

Sweet bike dude, now where's the gory photosB)

• broccoli2

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:11 AM

You asked for it wadzi90 

Here is a pretty tame one

133193C3-B215-48EE-B488-753CAF1861FD_zps

I also got screwed   haha

11479C78-3007-4C6E-92C6-FBE23BBEA569_zps

• wadzi90

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Man, that terrible. Good for you getting back on that bike

• broccoli2

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:44 AM

Man, that terrible. Good for you getting back on that bike

Yea that knee was pretty gross..   The hole in my lung is what sucked...    but i did finally figure out what the hell those weird values behind hospital beds that look like faucets are for....   So I got that going for me

• wadzi90

Posted December 10, 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yeah that knee is mangled, glad to hear you recovered enough to ride again though. I had to see the pic lol

Edited by wadzi90, December 10, 2014 - 02:04 PM.

• Gabex35

Posted December 11, 2014 - 12:57 PM

Note to myself...don't go 70mph on dirt. Geezus

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 11, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Glad you're back on a bike. BTW, my new WR450F makes me ride better than I am too. Lol Whatever it is I like it!

• Falcon 1

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Broke my fib/tib two weeks ago... 2 Dec 2014.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wadzi90

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:49 PM

We should turn this into a injury picture thread haha, if the op doesn't mind

• wadzi90

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Here's mine, not nearly as bad as the others but broken wrist about five years ago. Over jumped a small step down and landed on flat ground front tire first.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1418356308287.jpg

• broccoli2

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:59 PM

We should turn this into a injury picture thread haha, if the op doesn't mind

I don't mind. I've got a few more. And if I had a cell phone or if they made cell phones when I was younger I would have a bunch more. Haha

• YamaLink

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Crap, I should not have looked.... glad everyone survived those xrays.

• Nuklhed

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:36 PM

Good on ya for tearin' ass around.  I found the same thing coming off a 2003 KTM 525--the WR is easier to ride.  I can't decide if my improvement came from watching Graham Jarvis vids and trying to emulate, the WR, or just learning to use the clutch correctly after 38 years of riding.

Your knee looked gross, however.  Don't do that again.

• yamahadude93

Posted December 13, 2014 - 04:49 PM

So, as I've said in other posts,    i am NOT the best rider in the world.    The last time I was on 2 wheels in the dirt i waded up my 2008 WR450 at 70+ MPH...    i spent 14 days in the hospital      That was 9/11/2010     I will post a few pics of the aftermath if guys and girls are into gory photos  haha.... I was a timid rider to say the least.    

Anyway,  i picked this up on Black Friday and I have all the power up mods including,  Snorkel removal, Removal of the peashooter in the exhaust, and ECU...    I still had the hand guards from my old bike, (they were pretty screwed up after sliding down the dirt road at 70mph  haha)....        I have had a few street bikes lately  and for dirt I have been in my 2014 RZR XP1000.....     

When I first threw my leg over this thing I was (to be honest) a bit concerned I was going to sell it the next day...   So I start off slow.  Told my friends I was breaking in the new motor.  Rode for about 15 min up the fire roads and wanted the bike to cool down....   Got back on, still breaking it in but feeling much more comfortable.   About a half hour of ride time with a bit more throttle usage then wanted it to cool down again....   I got back on it and started to open it up a bit but didn't want to push it to much.    Road pretty mellow but doing all the breaking in crap, Varying the throttle etc....      after about 20 or so miles and really feeling good on the bike, i let it cool down again and eat my now smashed sandwich and warm gatorade...     After lunch, I am feeling much more confident and really start to ride like the good old days...   i'm not sure when it happened but at some point after lunch I started riding better than I have ever ridden,  My friends were having a hard time keeping up with me when i was leading  (none of my friends are that good either)  By the end of the day I was tearing it up climbing stuff with out even thinking about it,  that I would have gone around before, picking the hardest lines up hill that I could, including some pretty big rock faces (for me)  There in no way would I have done before.....     This was probably one of my best days of riding, ever!!!     

The first pic is from the first rest spot about 15 min into the day......

The second is after I loaded it up....
9D6BCE80-5507-406B-8D2A-75DDDB123AB9_zps
0D7C1FD5-BBB4-4DBC-8DA1-A1331614377F_zps

Cal city was pretty good today :)

• Nuklhed

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:00 AM

I thought I heard some good clutch work...nice.

• broccoli2

Posted December 14, 2014 - 11:34 AM

Cal city was pretty good today :)

Cool   Wish i could have made it out this weekend..  

• yamahadude93

Posted December 14, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I thought I heard some good clutch work...nice.

Yyaaaaaa lol, at the end I couldn't really see with the sun, hit a little rock and lost some speed. A little clutch never hurt no buddy! That thing climbs like a tractor though.

• Wristrockit

Posted December 16, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Here's mine. March 2011. Was riding an old 250 smoker then bought a new 450. Wrecked within the first hour. I'm so stupid. Oh well, lesson learned.
photo-4.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.