will 2006 YZ450 front forks and rear shock fit a 2007 WR450 setup ?

33 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:31 PM

I don't know about the fuel injected WR's but the earlier aluminum frame versions compare to the 500 KTM.
Maybe less on the bottom but a little more on the top.
The KTM 500 I rode was very torquey but hit the rev limiter down low.
On monster power hills the 450 KTM is lacking in HP.

Yes, my uncorked 500 was very torquey, but slow. It just ran out of power on a regular basis.

My stock un-corked WR would out accelerate it from 2nd gear on.

• DTM Industries

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:50 PM

I dint know the 500 craped out that fast on RPM & power , and agine yes in magazines dyno results showed the ktm450 sxf models had bookoo HP over Japanese bikes but Hondas and Yamaha's always had awsome overall power bands and chassis , i think im just going to stick with team blue ( Yamaha ) ! Atlest Yamaha's are about $2000 cheaper at the dealer then KTMs.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 13, 2014 - 06:11 AM

You have to remember that a Dyno is just a tool. 

It measures peak output under a fixed load.

It does not measure partial throttle or varying throttle conditions.

It does not measure acceleration, or take into account weight, suspension, etc.

Not very applicable to actual riding.

• stevethe

Posted December 13, 2014 - 06:58 AM

I dint know the 500 craped out that fast on RPM & power , and agine yes in magazines dyno results showed the ktm450 sxf models had bookoo HP over Japanese bikes but Hondas and Yamaha's always had awsome overall power bands and chassis , i think im just going to stick with team blue ( Yamaha ) ! Atlest Yamaha's are about $2000 cheaper at the dealer then KTMs.

For reference I'm not talking about stock uncorked bikes. The 07-11 WR450's in YZ mode basically uncorked and re jetted produce close to 50 RWHP.  Stock they are somewhere around 42 big difference. Out of three KTM 450's they have not been especially strong. The 500 has much more but the one I rode was geared a couple of teeth taller on the rear. Big mistake it was right in between second and third on the hills. Rev limiter in second and would not pull third.

• DTM Industries

Posted December 13, 2014 - 10:24 PM

For reference I'm not talking about stock uncorked bikes. The 07-11 WR450's in YZ mode basically uncorked and re jetted produce close to 50 RWHP.  Stock they are somewhere around 42 big difference. Out of three KTM 450's they have not been especially strong. The 500 has much more but the one I rode was geared a couple of teeth taller on the rear. Big mistake it was right in between second and third on the hills. Rev limiter in second and would not pull third.

I understand the dyno test and yes gearing is key for any style of riding , my biggist thing spending 8 to 10K on a brand new bike what is going to take the lest amount $$$ to make it a awesome desert assassin

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 14, 2014 - 06:19 AM

I understand the dyno test and yes gearing is key for any style of riding , my biggist thing spending 8 to 10K on a brand new bike what is going to take the lest amount $$$ to make it a awesome desert assassin

I prefer the CRF450X for high SoCal desert, the WR450 for single track desert, and the KTM for crawling.

If I had to have only one bike (god forbid) I would choose the WR every time. 

• letitsnow

Posted December 14, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Nobody wants to hear this, but my 2014 Husky FC250 (stock) stays right with my 2006 WR450F (uncorked) from 0-55 mph.  The WR is a good machine, but times have changed a bit.  And I crashed my new bike in the 1st ten minutes of riding it.  It survived.  

If my WR450 was my only bike, I would want to do the YZ suspension swap too.

Edited by letitsnow, December 14, 2014 - 06:27 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted December 14, 2014 - 06:36 AM

I'm into bikes that stand the test of time. Usually without breaking so I'm a Yamaha guy. Used to be a Honda guy until they decided to invent bikes with valve issues. Proudly never owned euro grabage other than a 800 cc BMR street dual purpose machine.

But getting back to the question which one is the ultimate desert assassin good question.  :rolleyes:  I can only say the 500 KTM I rode seemed as an excellent beginners bike very forgiving power band and soft suspension. The most I've heard from three of our KTM 500 riders is the suspension needs to be re done. We don't have any new fuel injection Yamaha riders in our group and I have never ridden one.

• letitsnow

Posted December 14, 2014 - 07:24 AM

. We don't have any new fuel injection Yamaha riders in our group and I have never ridden one.

The EFI on my euro "grabage" FC250 has really opened my eyes - it is really good.  

It would be interesting to ride a Wr450 with tuned EFI, lights/extra weight removed, and yz cams and lighter flywheel...  

I'm not convinced (nor are any of the other dirt bike manufacturers) that running a reverse cylinder is the hot ticket, so the new rumored YZ450FX is not for me.

• stevethe

Posted December 14, 2014 - 07:47 AM

The EFI on my euro "grabage" FC250 has really opened my eyes - it is really good.  

It would be interesting to ride a Wr450 with tuned EFI, lights/extra weight removed, and yz cams and lighter flywheel...  

I'm not convinced (nor are any of the other dirt bike manufacturers) that running a reverse cylinder is the hot ticket, so the new rumored YZ450FX is not for me.

A friend of mine called me that got a test ride on the new reverse motor WR250. He said it was so nice he was immediately ditching his CFR250x. He felt the 450's aren't going to feel like the 250's with the reverse motor. He said you could rail the reverse motor 250. One thing the new bikes will have is hopefully decent potential in the motor department.

We had a little punishment on our last weeks ride up some big hills with a Husky 300 4t. But that's the gnarly HP hills. One of the riders was on a KTM 250 2t and he did well on all but the real big hills. Hows the power on the Husky 250. Probably much better top than the 300 4t.

Edited by stevethe, December 14, 2014 - 07:48 AM.

• letitsnow

Posted December 14, 2014 - 07:55 AM

A friend of mine called me that got a test ride on the new reverse motor WR250. He said it was so nice he was immediately ditching his CFR250x. He felt the 450's aren't going to feel like the 250's with the reverse motor. He said you could rail the reverse motor 250. One thing the new bikes will have is hopefully decent potential in the motor department.

We had a little punishment on our last weeks ride up some big hills with a Husky 300 4t. But that's the gnarly HP hills. One of the riders was on a KTM 250 2t and he did well on all but the real big hills. Hows the power on the Husky 250. Probably much better top than the 300 4t.

I could see the new WR250 easily replacing a Honda 250X.  

As far as the Husky 300 4t - are you talking about the Italian 310?  The power on my FC250 seems really good everywhere.  Keep in mind that mine is basically the KTM mx model though, so no emissions etc...  Not much for top end speed either - that is the trade off.

• stevethe

Posted December 14, 2014 - 08:19 AM

I could see the new WR250 easily replacing a Honda 250X.  

As far as the Husky 300 4t - are you talking about the Italian 310?  The power on my FC250 seems really good everywhere.  Keep in mind that mine is basically the KTM mx model though, so no emissions etc...  Not much for top end speed either - that is the trade off.

I'm not sure of the model of Husky 300 4t it's about a year old or so. The rider seems to love it everywhere but the tough stuff.

• letitsnow

Posted December 14, 2014 - 08:58 AM

I'm not sure of the model of Husky 300 4t it's about a year old or so. The rider seems to love it everywhere but the tough stuff.

It seems like all of these machines have places where they work well, or suck.  

• Mbiker_101

Posted December 25, 2014 - 02:32 PM

I put a set of 2006 yz forks and shock on my 08 wr450f and it is night and day better. Fork is incredible, rear you can't notice but it does have a bigger shaft so maybe that helps. I've had my stock wr forks revalved twice and nowhere near as good as the yz forks. My buddy has the same 08 wr and a 08 yz, best mod you can do to a 07-11 is replace the forks. To me makes the bike the perfect combo for high speed desert to tight trails. Sure not as light as a ktm but reliable and smooth.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.