will 2006 YZ450 front forks and rear shock fit a 2007 WR450 setup ?

33 replies to this topic
  • DTM Industries

Posted December 09, 2014 - 12:34 AM

I know this sounds crazy and yes I looked up on the OEM part numbers and the two frames have different #s ,triple clamps for the forks are different #s , the rear arm # is different but the linkage # are the same and I'm just wondering if anyone just went for it and bolted it up and it all worked no issues ? Or it was a giant fail ?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 09, 2014 - 05:36 AM

Yes, that is the go-to year for poaching YZ suspension

The previous year has the no-so-hot forks, and the next year requires you bring the caliper along for the forks.

The tops of the forks should look like this:

DSCN5961.JPG

...and the caliper mounts should be widely spaced, like this:

DSCN5958.JPG

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, December 09, 2014 - 05:38 AM.

• stevethe

Posted December 09, 2014 - 06:24 AM

I know this sounds crazy and yes I looked up on the OEM part numbers and the two frames have different #s ,triple clamps for the forks are different #s , the rear arm # is different but the linkage # are the same and I'm just wondering if anyone just went for it and bolted it up and it all worked no issues ? Or it was a giant fail ?

I'm not sure about the shock. I believe it's different on the bottom or Ohlins is from a YZ to WR. However they are pretty much the same internally other than valving. Your much better off revalving your shock to your weight and riding style. You should do the YZ forks and revalve if you really want great stuff.

• DTM Industries

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:52 AM

The reson I have this crazy idea is I want a enduro bike but I can't afford to buy my KTM 500 right now and I know all my aftermarket parts on my 06 YZ450 will fit the 07wr and my suspension is set up on my YZ for desert and my wight about $750 from TBT racing. Swapping all my good parts over off my 2006YZ 450 will help me get closer to that full blown enduro bike until I can afford to buy the KTM 500

• RMK800

Posted December 09, 2014 - 11:31 AM

Yes, I just did this a few months back to my 07 using 2006 YZ forks. I haven't done the rear yet. Everything hooked up fine.

Best mod I have made!

Edited by RMK800, December 09, 2014 - 11:33 AM.

• sherco67

Posted December 09, 2014 - 04:39 PM

Did front and rear to my 09, forks from 06 and shock from 07 YZ450F, Both bolted right up, The fork guards on the 06 and 07 models only were the exact match. 08 and newer use a different guard and will have to figure out different way to run speed-o. Best mod done to date. BTW got some great forks and shock for sale from 09 WR450F, lol

Edited by sherco67, December 09, 2014 - 04:39 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 09, 2014 - 05:15 PM

Why on earth would you buy a KTM 500?

It's not the bike you think it is....unless you are 5'6" and weigh 165lbs.....

• DTM Industries

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:47 PM

I'm 6.1 and 200lbs , and why would I not want the KTM 500 xcw or exc ? I thought they were amazing enduro / desert bikes ? The only reason I want to go orange is because Yamaha hasn't come out with anything lighter then a WR until recently I saw that YZ 250 FX ( still nothing about a 450 FX ) coming out soon

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:05 PM

I'm 6.1 and 200lbs , and why would I not want the KTM 500 xcw or exc ? I thought they were amazing enduro / desert bikes ? The only reason I want to go orange is because Yamaha hasn't come out with anything lighter then a WR until recently I saw that YZ 250 FX ( still nothing about a 450 FX ) coming out soon

Why is 28lbs important, first of all.....if the bike flexes, and can't survive crashing?

The KTM is a turd. I owned one. Sold it in 6 mo.

Now, if you sit down all day, don't get air, don't run though whoop fields, don't push yourself at speed,  you might find it just fine.

I was hyper-unimpressed, even after about $900 of suspension and motor work.

It's a marketing miracle.

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, December 09, 2014 - 08:06 PM.

• DTM Industries

Posted December 09, 2014 - 09:05 PM

And yes when you say 28lbs it sounds very little , i can only hope when im ready to pull the trigger on that new bike yamaha has the yx450 FX on the showroom floor . I want that wide ratio trans with the yz 450 HP and the lite and stronge frame design with the suspension and headlite .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 10, 2014 - 06:11 AM

And yes when you say 28lbs it sounds very little , i can only hope when im ready to pull the trigger on that new bike yamaha has the yx450 FX on the showroom floor . I want that wide ratio trans with the yz 450 HP and the lite and stronge frame design with the suspension and headlite .

I spoke with the Yam rep last weekend at a new dealer event.

He told me the YZ450FX is real, but will not mentioned until late 2015.

They are concerned about the weight of the reverse engine WR450F, and that is where the hold up is....as they want to release all three models at the same time: YZF, YZFX, WRF.

I too am very excited about the 450FX, as I have been building my own similar bikes in Honda and Yamaha for years now....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 10, 2014 - 06:23 AM

You have to consider the fact that the KTM line, 125cc to 500cc, all have the same ergonomic layout and basic frame design....the 500 frame being no more ridgid than the 125 is on the 125...which is a European tradition for decades: weight is more important than handling feel or precision....which to me is downright stupid.  This goes for full MX race bikes and full extreme enduro bikes....which clearly have different needs.

The Japanese give each displacement it's own design and do not 'platform share' nearly the same degree as KTM does.  Honda is the best example of this. 

Ken Roczen complained about his FACTORY KTM flexing and bending all season long to DeCoster, and DeCoster was told by KTM : Ve doo nut modyfie frames from Nekken's original Deezine ".  Nekken is the brand of ferrous metal parts (bars, axles, frame, etc) owned by Stefan Pierer, who is also CEO of KTM, on the board of Husky, and WP.  One big happy flexy, oversteering family.

I own a 2013 KTM 350 XCF-W; it is a very well built bike too. It has extremely small ergonomics, and is woefully flexy, especially the forks, triple clamps, and frame.

I ride it on the street more than I do the dirt.

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, December 10, 2014 - 06:26 AM.

• DTM Industries

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Wow this is big news to me most riders I've talked to about there xcw bike haven't mention anything about that frame flex but I can see how that frame design can have flex

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 10, 2014 - 12:31 PM

If you read nothing but magazine reviews, you will get the 'party line', and not the truth.

Every once in a while, the truth comes out, but they never mention the sestemic problems with the KTM/Husky brand, cause their testers are 25 years old, 180 lbs, and have no critical thinking abilities yet.

• KennyMc

Posted December 10, 2014 - 03:43 PM

I have a '07 WR450 (YZ suspension) and a '14 350EXC (still stock suspension). For my riding style and terrain preferences, I find the KTM much easier to ride. I ride in every type of terrain. Is it the best in the fast whoops. No, but I prolly only spend 15% of my day riding in that. The other 85% of the terrain I ride in the KTM is much easier to ride.....for me. It is 25lbs lighter (yes, I actually weighed mine where most others have not), and it carries that weight lower as well which adds to the ease of maneuverability.

It really would help if you could ride one yourself to get a feel for how it rides in the terrain you ride in.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 10, 2014 - 03:50 PM

I have a '07 WR450 (YZ suspension) and a '14 350EXC (still stock suspension). For my riding style and terrain preferences, I find the KTM much easier to ride. I ride in every type of terrain. Is it the best in the fast whoops. No, but I prolly only spend 15% of my day riding in that. The other 85% of the terrain I ride in the KTM is much easier to ride.....for me. It is 25lbs lighter (yes, I actually weighed mine where most others have not), and it carries that weight lower as well which adds to the ease of maneuverability.

It really would help if you could ride one yourself to get a feel for how it rides in the terrain you ride in.

Agreed

I can ride the KTM  (at KTM speed) all day, which at the same speed, I cannot do on my WR or X....mostly because I'm playing with the power all day long, which wears me out....

But at X speed, I can only ride the Ktm for about 5 min before I crash.

• offrd beatr

Posted December 10, 2014 - 04:02 PM

How do the '12+ bikes compare to the katooms handling and suspension wise? My '14 is pretty stable in the high speed stuff. Never ridden a newer KTM.

• KennyMc

Posted December 10, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Agreed
I can ride the KTM (at KTM speed) all day, which at the same speed, I cannot do on my WR or X....mostly because I'm playing with the power all day long, which wears me out....
But at X speed, I can only ride the Ktm for about 5 min before I crash.

I have yet to crash on the KTM. My wife would kill me if I scratched her bike :lol:

• DTM Industries

Posted December 11, 2014 - 01:41 PM

The question is what is yz450 FX going too compare to KTM model ? 450/500 Xc , XCW , exc ?

• stevethe

Posted December 11, 2014 - 03:39 PM

The question is what is yz450 FX going too compare to KTM model ? 450/500 Xc , XCW , exc ?

I don't know about the fuel injected WR's but the earlier aluminum frame versions compare to the 500 KTM.
Maybe less on the bottom but a little more on the top.
The KTM 500 I rode was very torquey but hit the rev limiter down low.
On monster power hills the 450 KTM is lacking in HP.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.