If you like your Flywheel Weight... lets talk

5 replies to this topic
  • b-bike

Posted February 01, 2002 - 03:19 PM

I've been doing some "search" reading on the topic of flywheel weights and what I would like to find out is a couple things. First--- What, if any, would be the difference I would feel between the 10.5 & 12oz. weight? And for that matter, would a 14oz. make any difference? Second--- What type of weight (drill & Tap vs. Rivet) is better for the long turm. (any balance problems on the crank?)
I have an 01-YZ426 that has a bone stock motor with a spark arrester, headlight with lighting coil. I might play around with the jetting a bit for the different elevations I'll be riding in but that is about all. The type of riding I will be doing is mostly trail & long distance cross country.

----------------

01-YZ426 With an "Old Man" (46) hanging on. :)

• PK

Posted February 01, 2002 - 05:14 PM

I had a 10 OZ weight on my 99 YZ400. I took it off 2 months ago in search of a little quicker hit. It is a little quicker revving, but I also stalled it more often until I got used to not having it on there. I'm sure the more weight you put on, the mellower the hit will be. Mine was held on with allen head screws and I never had a problem with it. I think it would be preferrable to have one that is screwed on rather than riveted just so you can take it off when you would like and re-install it easier. It only takes 20 minutes to remove or install it once you have the holes drilled in the flywheel.

PK

• txthumper

Posted February 02, 2002 - 04:23 AM

i have a 12 ounce on my 426..i love it..i couldnt keep from stallin in the woods before i got it..it does lose some of the hit though, not much but i can tell...mine is also bolted on

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX974

Posted February 02, 2002 - 12:46 PM

I am also thinking about a flywheel weight. Is it fairly easy to drill and tap the holes in the flywheel to install the weight? I am sure the location is critical to maitain balance and you need a flywheel puller....Thanks

• SandLunatic

Posted February 03, 2002 - 09:39 PM

Your lighting coil may put some weight on the flywheel anyway. When I had my 01 I put on the baja designs light kit and it weighed the flywheel 11oz so there was no need for a weight. It definately lugged better but it is a track bike so it still was no tractor.

• gal

Posted February 05, 2002 - 06:28 AM

I ADDAD THE 10OZ FROM TERRY CABLE . IT IS GREAT THING, WORTH EVERY BUCK AND EASY TO INSTALL ALLTHOUGH IM JUST A FX TRADER AND NOT A MECHANIC

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.