2014-2015 YZ Oversize Tank Review

12 replies to this topic
  • bigbird192

Posted December 07, 2014 - 08:15 PM

I have been asked a lot of questions about the oversize tanks since I mentioned them in other threads. So, I figured I would do a quick write up and update on my experiences with them.

I first purchased the Acerbis tank as it was cheaper. I didn't realize it at the time, but the gas cap ended up being right where the pop-off seat is on the stock setup. That would mean the cap and vent tube would likely get sat on when you slide forward for the corners. I decided to send it back without even mounting it (or taking any pictures) so I could get a full refund.

I immediately ordered the IMS tank because it still uses the stock seat configuration. The tank looked nice, though it was kind of a pain to mount. I have additional wires for my headlight that follow the fuel line route which complicated matters slightly. Future tear downs will also be a little more difficult, but once you figure out a good order for R&R, it goes pretty quickly. When I installed the tank, I did not disconnect any wires or the fuel line from the fuel pump. A quick tip is to use silicone spray on the rubber grommet attached to the sub frame (they are to protect the tank from chafing.) This helps the tank slide up into the sub frame more easily.

I had not ridden the bike, short of breaking it in, so I cannot comment on how its' addition may have effected handling. Though, I do have the light front end feeling I am trying to get rid of.

The tank generally fit well and I did manage about 70 miles on it while trail riding 2 track and graded roads. A couple weeks after I mounted it, I noticed a rather strong gas smell around the bike. A quick peep under the tank and I could see that the fuel pump to tank seal was leaking. I figured it was likely leaking because I didn't replace the O-ring, as the manual recommends. While I was waiting for the O-ring to show up in the mail, I did a little research and found this: http://www.chronicmx...ross-gas-tanks/

The above link talks about the casting flaws that can cause leaks. When I inspected the fuel pump opening on the bottom of the tank, I saw so rather large curved grooves around the opening that were definitely from the factory. I sanded them down as best I could. When I compared the stock tank to the IMS tanks, the stocker had a more definite sharp edge around the opening for the O-ring to seat against. The IMS tank was nowhere near as well manufactured (or designed) as the original. I also noticed a visible groove in the original O-ring from where the tank seated on it. That made me hopeful that the sanding and new seal would remedy my problem. Well, it wasn't enough.

After I got everything back together and filled her up to the brim with fuel, everything looked good. That was at midnight as I was going riding the next day. In the morning, I checked the fuel pump and the bastard was all wet, yet again. So instead of riding that day, I tore it back down. I did some more sanding and added a very small amount of aviation quality fuel resistant liquid gasket to the area where the swirl marks were. I hoped that filling them in a bit would help.

The fix seems to be holding up now. In the end, I like the IMS tank, but wish more effort was put into the design and maunfacting of the critical fuel pump to tank mating surface. It is really frustrating when you spend good money to buy performance parts for a bike and they end up being of lesser quality than stock.

The pictures below are of the installed IMS tank.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140928_162836.jpg
  • 20140928_162653.jpg
  • 20140928_162601.jpg
  • 20140928_162554.jpg

• Swappa

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:46 AM

I also have an oversized tank but the Acerbis. I like it. It's not super easy to mount a tank on these new Yzs but I would say that it's no more difficult than the stock tank. Most importantly the acerbis tank didn't leak. I don't notice the gas cap or fuel hose very much. I have hit myself once on the gas cap. The main reason I bought the tank was that it was inexpensive and it was
available. I think I would buy one again. Overall I don't notice any additional width in the tank. so far I have used the tank for 15 hours in motocross and off road. It fits 450 or 250.

• Swappa

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:49 AM

I will reroute the vent hose

Attached Thumbnails

• 1418140058604.jpg

• ah665

Posted December 09, 2014 - 09:15 AM

bigbird, looks cool. I like that it keeps the stock seat configuration. I would also be displeased with the original one that you purchased. Sorry about the leak issue, however. That would be frustrating. 

• JonDirt

Posted December 09, 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the pic of the Acerbis. I've been looking ALL over for one. I just learned that the filler neck replaces the cover portion of the seat. It doesn't look bad.

I'm still debating on the IMS or Acerbis. I like the looks of the IMS better, but the leaky one above is disconcerting. I can also get 40% off Acerbis thru a friend so that might help make my decision.

Then black or natural, hmm...

• Monk

Posted December 09, 2014 - 10:53 AM

Man do these YZFs look sharp...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigbird192

Posted December 09, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the pic of the Acerbis. I've been looking ALL over for one. I just learned that the filler neck replaces the cover portion of the seat. It doesn't look bad.

I'm still debating on the IMS or Acerbis. I like the looks of the IMS better, but the leaky one above is disconcerting. I can also get 40% off Acerbis thru a friend so that might help make my decision.

Then black or natural, hmm...

I would suggest natural. It is impossible to see the bottom of the tank (at least with the IMS), so with a black tank, you would have a really hard time telling how much fuel is in there. I put 3 small sharpie marks on the tank at the half full level so that when i come into the pit, I can quickly and easily tell if I can make another lap.

• JonDirt

Posted December 09, 2014 - 01:55 PM

What kind of range do you get with the 2.9 gallon tank? 

Honestly I don't have enough time on mine to know what I get with stock. 

• drtrcr400

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:03 PM

I also have the IMS. I've not had any sealing problems whatsoever. I installed the pump with the original o ring, didn't think twice about it. Wish I would have bought the tank a long time ago.

• bigbird192

Posted December 10, 2014 - 08:34 AM

What kind of range do you get with the 2.9 gallon tank? 

Honestly I don't have enough time on mine to know what I get with stock. 

The longest ride I have done is 53 miles. I had enough left over that I very easily could have made 60 miles and maybe more. It was easy graded roads and I was just trail riding. I haven't had a chance to race it yet, but I expect to get close to 50 miles in a typical desert race with some sand. Fuel economy is very subjective to how much you twist the throttle, so it is hard to say exactly what you will get.

I also have the IMS. I've not had any sealing problems whatsoever. I installed the pump with the original o ring, didn't think twice about it. Wish I would have bought the tank a long time ago.

I would think that most people do not have leaking issues. I have only found the one other documented case of it happening. I would recommend getting a new seal and checking for imperfections, just to be safe. The IMS is not built to the same standards as OEM, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. I also suspect that the IMS is on par with the Acerbis.

• JonDirt

Posted December 10, 2014 - 10:39 AM

What is everyone's opinion on the filler neck sticking up on the Acerbis? Looks like it's right there near the gonads. 

I love their products, and have owned tanks for other models. Plus the discount I can get. Just not sure about the shape on this one. 

• Monk

Posted December 10, 2014 - 10:42 AM

What is everyone's opinion on the filler neck sticking up on the Acerbis? Looks like it's right there near the gonads.

I love their products, and have owned tanks for other models. Plus the discount I can get. Just not sure about the shape on this one.

I like it. I hate the little trap door thing, it's such a gimmick...

• ah665

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hate it. Looks too far back and it would bother me, both looks and function. While I agree, in general the flip seat is weird, I would rather have that than the cap sticking up right there. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.