yz450 shows no signs of starting at all. need help

8 replies to this topic
  • elivingston199

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:56 PM

just got a yz450. needs some work has coolant and oil leak but wanted to make sure it at leasts starts up first. gets spark, carb is clean, gets fuel, timing spot on. wont bump or kick start at all maybe 1 small pop after a long time. what shoul I check. I just got it for a good deal and I don't want to dump a lot of money into it. I already have other bikes and don't need this but it would be fun to have

• Nautical Miles

Posted December 08, 2014 - 01:25 AM

Are the valves shimmed to spec? Had a friends bikes in the past with spark and fuel with good timing. Would kick forever with maybe a pop or two. I finally got a feeler gauge inside the head and valves were way out. Also, what year?

• elivingston199

Posted December 08, 2014 - 12:50 PM

its a 2004 sorry and idk i never checked valves. i had terrible experiences with a crf in valve adjustments in the past

• 00yzryder

Posted December 09, 2014 - 12:33 PM

its a 2004 sorry and idk i never checked valves. i had terrible experiences with a crf in valve adjustments in the past

dont need to adjust it if you arent comfortable but checking their gap is foolproof. Just align the hashes and pull off the gas tank and cylinder head cover and check. random questions, have you tried a different plug?  Hows the compression have you had it checked? 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sckrocodile

Posted December 10, 2014 - 06:38 AM

yup atleast stick a feeler gauge in the valve so you will atleast know if they are even in the ball park.. also compression tester would be a good idea.  you can rent one from a parts store usually for free.. how did you check the spark on the plug?

• grayracer513

Posted December 10, 2014 - 07:26 AM

Conventional compression tests are a fairly complete waste of time on a singe cylinder engine with auto decompression.  If you're going to test, a leak down test in far more useful.

• elivingston199

Posted December 15, 2014 - 12:31 PM

t check the spark  on the plug i took the plug out, put th boot on the plug grounded the plug and kicked it over and i didnt check comperession bt there is compression there  

• 00yzryder

Posted December 15, 2014 - 03:57 PM

t check the spark  on the plug i took the plug out, put th boot on the plug grounded the plug and kicked it over and i didnt check comperession bt there is compression there  

if you can check timing you can check valve clearance. You dont have to do the work if they are out but its worth a shot. take the cover off line up the cylinder and TDC and start sliding the feeler gauges in and write them down.

• elivingston199

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:13 PM

ok ill try that thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.