Hey all. I'm a pretty big trail noob. Looking at a xr250 for a trail bike. Have ridden one in the past, and quite enjoyed it. Went well for my height and weight, and wasn't on any really fast trails so it did the job nicely. Mostly though, the thing that is drawing me back to it is how tough they are. Anybody got any opinions on a better bike in regards to how much abuse they can take? Really not keen on doing rebuilds every 25 hours as Honda recommend for the CRF250 and other new bikes may require, which is why I'm drawn to the xr. All of my offroad experience is on a KLX250 '07 or a XR250 '99. Preferred the XR, felt it was more nimble and fit my riding style better. Wasn't a particular fan of the klx posture, and don't feel that I'm after that bit of extra power for all the extra maintenance that some off road bikes require. What's a decent middle ground? What are my options?

You certainly don't have to rebuild them every 25 hours unless you're doing some serious racing.  XR's are very tough and reliable, cheap and easy to maintain. Keep the oil changed, watch for stuff coming loose, replace what you break, and ride the snot out of it.  You won't hurt it. They can go many, many hours  without even pulling the head. Adjusting the valves is simple and can be done in less than 30 minute. I had 2 of them back in the 80's and can vouch for their reliability.

• Like 3

You certainly don't have to rebuild them every 25 hours unless you're doing some serious racing.  XR's are very tough and reliable, cheap and easy to maintain. Keep the oil changed, watch for stuff coming loose, replace what you break, and ride the snot out of it.  You won't hurt it. They can go many, many hours  without even pulling the head. Adjusting the valves is simple and can be done in less than 30 minute. I had 2 of them back in the 80's and can vouch for their reliability.

Thanks. As I said, limited off road experience. So what kind of maintenance would I be looking at for other bikes which may not be as durable as the XR? Probably looking at doing medium to hard trails, but not any racing. I'm 6 foot and 155lbs. Looking for something nimble and sturdy. Happy to get my hands dirty and learn more maintenance, but definitely looking for a bike that's not heavy on the maintenance. 

Thanks. As I said, limited off road experience. So what kind of maintenance would I be looking at for other bikes which may not be as durable as the XR? Probably looking at doing medium to hard trails, but not any racing. I'm 6 foot and 155lbs. Looking for something nimble and sturdy. Happy to get my hands dirty and learn more maintenance, but definitely looking for a bike that's not heavy on the maintenance. 

'Nimble' is not a term experienced riders often use when describing the XR250R. Durable, yes but they are a boat anchor unless compared to other bikes in their class such as the KLX or DR-Z. 

Maintenence is basically the same on every proper enduro bike. Oil changes every 10 hours or so, pistons every 100 with casual (meaning, not racing) use. Valve replacement roughly every 200 hours although this is influenced on how well the air filter and oil is maintained. Speaking of which, of course the air filters get dirty on all of them at the same rate, meaning daily cleanings if it's very dusty. Chassis bearings need grease just like every other bike and the XR has a few places which have grease zerks rather than disassembly needed for lube which is a slight benefit.

Basically what you have heard about the XR's being 'tougher' isn't true. A modern enduro bike is physically stronger as well as lighter. The XR is just older tech and built with heavier and now antiquated design. People get away with less maintenance on the XRs before they physically quit and die but to keep an XR properly maintained and running strong it's virtually the same as any current and proper enduro race bike.

When you take a look at the DR-Z however, you'll find not only heavier construction but larger oil capacity. This adds to their durability. Another factor is that they are a bike still being produced so you'll have fewer issues in obtaining parts for them. I tend to recommend them over something like an XR for someone who wants a heavy four stroke dirtbike.

Now if you want an offroad bike that REALLY IS nimble, buy a KTM 200. They are a two stroke with enduro power delivery. Very smooth and torquey, VERY light, and quite well built. For example, a KTM frame is steel like the XR but chromoly steel rather than mild steel. KTM build quality is much higher overall when compared to older Japanese bikes.

Being a two stroke, they are a simpler and MUCH lighter engine.  The chassis needs the same maintenance as every other off road bike but as with all other two stroke engines, the maintenance consists of gear oil changes every 10 hours or so and a piston about every hundred hours. A piston can be changed in about half the time in a two stroke engine than a four stroke.

The suspension is light years better. Basically a better bike in every possible way.

A cheaper and less technologically advanced version of the KTM200 is the KDX200/220. Similar features and performance but more cheaply built. Still a decent, reliable and fairly nimble bike. Ergos is similar to the KLX which I agree is somewhat poor.

• Like 1

'Nimble' is not a term experienced riders often use when describing the XR250R. Durable, yes but they are a boat anchor unless compared to other bikes in their class such as the KLX or DR-Z. 

Maintenence is basically the same on every proper enduro bike. Oil changes every 10 hours or so, pistons every 100 with casual (meaning, not racing) use. Valve replacement roughly every 200 hours although this is influenced on how well the air filter and oil is maintained. Speaking of which, of course the air filters get dirty on all of them at the same rate, meaning daily cleanings if it's very dusty. Chassis bearings need grease just like every other bike and the XR has a few places which have grease zerks rather than disassembly needed for lube which is a slight benefit.

Basically what you have heard about the XR's being 'tougher' isn't true. A modern enduro bike is physically stronger as well as lighter. The XR is just older tech and built with heavier and now antiquated design. People get away with less maintenance on the XRs before they physically quit and die but to keep an XR properly maintained and running strong it's virtually the same as any current and proper enduro race bike.

When you take a look at the DR-Z however, you'll find not only heavier construction but larger oil capacity. This adds to their durability. Another factor is that they are a bike still being produced so you'll have fewer issues in obtaining parts for them. I tend to recommend them over something like an XR for someone who wants a heavy four stroke dirtbike.

Now if you want an offroad bike that REALLY IS nimble, buy a KTM 200. They are a two stroke with enduro power delivery. Very smooth and torquey, VERY light, and quite well built. For example, a KTM frame is steel like the XR but chromoly steel rather than mild steel. KTM build quality is much higher overall when compared to older Japanese bikes.

Being a two stroke, they are a simpler and MUCH lighter engine.  The chassis needs the same maintenance as every other off road bike but as with all other two stroke engines, the maintenance consists of gear oil changes every 10 hours or so and a piston about every hundred hours. A piston can be changed in about half the time in a two stroke engine than a four stroke.

The suspension is light years better. Basically a better bike in every possible way.

A cheaper and less technologically advanced version of the KTM200 is the KDX200/220. Similar features and performance but more cheaply built. Still a decent, reliable and fairly nimble bike. Ergos is similar to the KLX which I agree is somewhat poor.

Damn. You pretty much hit all the bases with that one. Thanks so much. Think I've got a better idea of the situation now. What you've said sounds a lot better than most replies I was getting elsewhere which were either "XR is great, i have one and love it" or "XR is old. buy a crf400." aha..What you're saying about the KTM sounds good, and I can appreciate. Will have to get out and test ride a few bikes and see how it goes, but have never found myself being a fan of 2 stroke engines.. Maybe that could change, and I';; try find one to ride.. Any recommendations of something similar to the KTM but four stroke? What would be it's closest four stroke competitor? 

• Like 1

Damn. You pretty much hit all the bases with that one. Thanks so much. Think I've got a better idea of the situation now. What you've said sounds a lot better than most replies I was getting elsewhere which were either "XR is great, i have one and love it" or "XR is old. buy a crf400." aha..What you're saying about the KTM sounds good, and I can appreciate. Will have to get out and test ride a few bikes and see how it goes, but have never found myself being a fan of 2 stroke engines.. Maybe that could change, and I';; try find one to ride.. Any recommendations of something similar to the KTM but four stroke? What would be it's closest four stroke competitor?

Apples and oranges. A 2 stroke is a different animal.

The closest you could get would be a KTM 300, 4 stroke type tourque, 2 stroke performance.

As usual sndlvr69's advice is great, the best bang for your buck would be either a KTM 200, or the KDX 200/220.

I believe KTM makes a 250 xcf-w? Not comparable to the 2 stroke however, but a great bike from what I gather...

• Like 1

Yeah what he said LOL!! I have two older XR's one is a 400 and the other a 250 they are great

but nothing in comparison to the KTM/Husky that I just bought last year,you are young so the majic

button isn't as big a deal but to me it's a god send, and the husky is much lighter than either of

the XR's and with the new two strokes the low end is awesome not like the 2 strokes of old where it was

like a light switch either on or off.I have one of those as well I have an old Husky 250 OR 1978 used for

vintage MX

I'll say this and then move on... current four stroke enduro bikes come in basically two sizes, 250 and 450. A modern 250 makes much more power than an XR250. More like an XR400. A modern 450 makes more power than the XR600. In the modern four stroke class of enduro bike I'd recommend a 250 for you, they make plenty both down low as well as up top.

The Japanese four stroke enduro bikes like the CRF250/450X and Yamaha WR250/450 are kind of the middle ground between KTM's very high build quality and the XR's heaviness and durability. I personally happen to be a fan of Honda/Yamaha four strokes above KTM four strokes unless you include KTM's older RFS (Racing Four Stroke) motors in 250 to 525 because repair parts for them (the japanese bikes) are less expensive. The RFS on the other hand is a stellar engine in a stellar chassis. Heavier than a current KTM bike by a little but VERY durable and still powerful.

Some extra research would be needed by you to determine the year range of the RFS in a given KTM enduro bike because I'm not a leading KTM expert but more of a spectator of the marque. Generally, the RFS's were getting phased out by 2007.

My somewhat limited knowledge of the newer four stroke KTMs dictates that they have a more advanced chassis but an inferior engine than modern (say, 2004 and up) Japanese offerings. They make great power but not as durable.

I'm sure there will be more than one KTM loyalist that takes offense to my opinion and that's OK, it's just based on my experience and those of my riding friends who have owned these bikes.

Another brand you may consider is Beta. Pre- 2010(?) or so Beta four strokes used the KTM RFS engine. Very high build quality and owner satisfaction from my experience. I recently purchased a 2015 Beta 300RR two stroke based on published owner satisfaction and love it far beyond every of the 30 or so bikes I have owned in my riding life. My 2005 Honda CRF250R with many woods modifications is my all-time #2 favorite.

I guess to sum it up, if I were to recommend an older used 250 four stroke enduro, I'd say:

#1  2005-2009 Beta 250RR. Then almost equally,

#2  2002-2007 KTM 250EXC-F. After 2004, they had a better chassis and suspension.

#3  2007 and up Honda or Yamaha CRF250X or WR250 both about equally. Keeping in mind that these two need some inexpensive/free mods to make full power. The factory for some reason puts on flimsy power restrictors, easily removed. I'm saying 2007 and up mostly for the Honda, they improved the valve train.

Keep in mind that I am not as knowledgable as some others on this site. If you find a bike that seems to suit, you can post up on the Make/Model specific forums here on Thumpertalk or other web forums to narrow your choices even further. Also keep in mind that even though Australia has pretty much the same models of bikes as the U.S. prices and availability could be different for you than what I have here in the states.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While "nimble" is subjective, I will say my xr280 (xr250 punched out, another 3, 4 hp where useful ) is pretty nimble for what it is.

The question needs to be asked, where do you want it to be nimble?

My xr280 has a plate, street legal. It, like my other xr's, gets used in remote areas where there's no shop support, you can't just push it off the track into the truck, and there ain't no AAA to come get you. No WWambulances either. Places you might be lucky to see another traveler in a day. Remote NV, Death Valley, SE Utah, the Sierras, WY.

That little xr takes care of business! Everyone in my core off road group has an xr. Some have Huskies (and I did), an exc 450..all have bought at least an xr400. More remote it is and less tolerance for mistakes, the more xr's show up. The xr400 guys are amazed at how sneaky fast, quick to turn, and how that 280 clings to hills and keeps pulling..

• 5 months later...

More remote it is and less tolerance for mistakes, the more xr's show up

That says it all.  It's all a matter of what type of riding you do and how far from 'help' you might find yourself.

I vote XR for remote areas and agree with Chuckster. They're not MX-ers and they're not really competitive with the newer lighter bikes in terms of racing.

But drop me 200 miles from the nearest repair shop, and I'll take the XR every time.  I'll sacrifice a bit of performance for the XRs reliability and knowing that I will make it back to the truck.

And that it'll keep running the same for years without expensive maintenance (personal experience) as long as you keep the air filter clean and change the oil/filter regularly.

Of all the XRs I've had (and beaten the piss out of), only one had an engine failure and that was due to the previous owner neglecting oil levels and regular oil changes.

They take a licking and keep on ticking. And when you're out in the boonies, that's what matters.  On an MX track, or other sanctioned race like HS or Enduro, that doesn't matter much because help is just minutes away and that heavy engine/heavy frame/ and less capable suspension could cost you the race.

XRs aren't race bikes but they do make good backcountry explorers.

• Like 1