06 WR450 Subframe strength question

2 replies to this topic
  • yuppivore

Posted December 07, 2014 - 01:48 AM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to turn my WR into a stunt bike, and I'm looking to build a hoop to add to the subframe to protect it from loops as well as somewhere to put my feet.

I've read somewhere that the subframe isn't very strong? Is that correct?

I was planning on getting some solid steel tubing and then drilling some mounting holes in the subframe to bolt it on. Am I going to end up with a snapped frame?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 07, 2014 - 06:31 AM

It's strong, but it's also brittle

It will crack will too much force/weight on it.

I would build an all steel version of it with extra bracing

Drilling holes and adding stuff to the stock one will just make it worse

You could also add welded bracing to the stock one, but you would need an expert welder to weld on to that odd Asian alloy.....

• yuppivore

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Ok cool. I looked into getting some custom work done and man, its expensive. Its all the the man hours trying to design it. The actual fab work is cheap. I need to get myself a pipe bender and a welding kit and do it myself I think!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.