2012+ WR450F Stronger starter motor?

64 replies to this topic
  • WRF-Rowdy

Posted September 15, 2015 - 03:13 AM

The Yamaha branded FI diagnostic tool was $114.00 [depends on current Euro exchange rate] from the company in the Netherlands referenced above and shipping took less than a week. The Chinese tool is listed at about $230. So the Yamaha tool is much more affordable.

Personally, I'd rather kill myself before I shell out $114 to get 12V to the CO tool's terminals. You need that tool only once, to set CO to -20.

• drdanbozeman

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:18 AM

Personally, I'd rather kill myself before I shell out $114 to get 12V to the CO tool's terminals. You need that tool only once, to set CO to -20.

I followed the link you provided in order to purchase the tool. If a tool is not available locally, then buying the tool seems to be a reasonable option; selling it online after a good CO setting is accomplished would avoid the downside of offing oneself.

With a minus setting my bike would not start reliably; with a setting of +12 it starts first push of the button hot or cold. I've got a Megabomb header and Q4 pipe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRF-Rowdy

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:56 AM

With a minus setting my bike would not start reliably; with a setting of +12 it starts first push of the button hot or cold. I've got a Megabomb header and Q4 pipe.

Truly amazing! :jawdrop:

Mine won't fire up nicely with positive numbers, to the point of only firing up on third attempt w/o gear when hot wiht CO 6 or higher!

• tomerb

Posted September 16, 2015 - 08:39 PM

Does anyone know what the real AF ratio is at idle? Do people that have rest there CO with the Yamaha tool still have a slight decel pop during compression braking. 

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted September 17, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Does anyone know what the real AF ratio is at idle? Do people that have rest there CO with the Yamaha tool still have a slight decel pop during compression braking. 

my WR450F'12 idles at stochimoetric A/F when CO ist set to -25,

see http://www.thumperta...ic-vs-af-ratio/

But there are poeple on thumpertalk, whose bike won't start at negtive CO setting, hard to believe but YMMV :jawdrop:

My experience from my WR400F and WR450F'03 ist that one HAS to set the idle mixture to a value

that creates heavy popping on decel, if one wants to reliably e-start the bike in gear.

Mind you, the '03 Keihin ist supposed to have a decel. enrichment circuit.

I had checked mine, all seemed ok, still very noisy popping on road-racing deceleration.

And I had to pull to hot start lever on my '03 WR450F while e-starting in gear (hence idle must have been still too rich)

Edited by WRF-Rowdy, September 17, 2015 - 10:50 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.