New 2014 on the way! Couple questions

I really wanted to get a YZ250, but was at the dealers and they had the YZ450F for $1300.00 cheaper, so I couldnt refuse.

I had a couple questions...the dealer said they have the map adjustment tool and said I could bring it in and they would adjust it for free.  I was reading some reviews and found this map:

fuel

ignition

Should i have them go ahead and put this map on their before i leave the store, or should i ride it as is first.  Im going to keep the bike 100 percent stock as far as any performance mods go and it is going to be used as a play bike, riding trails, and some light duty motorcross play

Next question...at one time i was going to buy a yz125...it was a used 2006 model iirc.  i was reading reviews before i bought it and it said the shift stop bearings would would explode and end up all over the engine and ruin it.  the fix was to use a different roller set up off a 2007 model.  Being of limited mechanical skill, I passsed because I wasnt comfortable tearing into the engine.

Then i was reading the 2014 450 had bearings in the shift stop and they changed it for 2015.

So now I'm a little concerned that I need to put the updated shift stop in it.  Anyone have any ideas about that?

Thanks

I really wanted to get a YZ250, but was at the dealers and they had the YZ450F for $1300.00 cheaper, so I couldnt refuse.

I had a couple questions...the dealer said they have the map adjustment tool and said I could bring it in and they would adjust it for free. I was reading some reviews and found this map:

fuel

ignition

Should i have them go ahead and put this map on their before i leave the store, or should i ride it as is first. Im going to keep the bike 100 percent stock as far as any performance mods go and it is going to be used as a play bike, riding trails, and some light duty motorcross play

Next question...at one time i was going to buy a yz125...it was a used 2006 model iirc. i was reading reviews before i bought it and it said the shift stop bearings would would explode and end up all over the engine and ruin it. the fix was to use a different roller set up off a 2007 model. Being of limited mechanical skill, I passsed because I wasnt comfortable tearing into the engine.

Then i was reading the 2014 450 had bearings in the shift stop and they changed it for 2015.

So now I'm a little concerned that I need to put the updated shift stop in it. Anyone have any ideas about that?

Thanks

Thats a good map I run it but on every plus on fuel I go negative on the timing one it's the best map I've tried it's an mxa map. It gives the bike power everywhere and I have a fmf power bomb header with a 4.1 core slipon. You can't go wrong with that map I personally would go negative one on timing every where you go up in timing that's what mxa a did. I just had the dealer do the shift stopper it cost me 90 for the part because they had the bike apart for putting in a rekluse core 3.0. I would just have the dealer do it why it's there see if he will call yamaha and work with you if not it's like a 200 dollar fix. Edited by cas747

Since your going to be using this bike for mostly play and trails I wouldn't go with that map. Also your leaving it stock which really you shouldn't have to remap. If I where you I would take some of the aggressiveness out of it by adding some fuel and retarding the ignition down low some to help out on the trail riding and playing. The map you show seems like a more track related map. Also it seems like a lot of fuel for a stock bike. .02c

Thats a good map I run it but on every plus on fuel I go negative on the timing one it's the best map I've tried it's an mxa map. It gives the bike power everywhere and I have a fmf power bomb header with a 4.1 core slipon. You can't go wrong with that map I personally would go negative one on timing every where you go up in timing that's what mxa a did. I just had the dealer do the shift stopper it cost me 90 for the part because they had the bike apart for putting in a rekluse core 3.0. I would just have the dealer do it why it's there see if he will call yamaha and work with you if not it's like a 200 dollar fix.

thats crazy they would put a known defective part in the bike.  i mean, on the yz125 they knew it was a problem in 2006 and fixed it in 2007.  fast forward to 2014 and they put in the exact same part that is highly prone to failure.  i dont get it.

thats crazy they would put a known defective part in the bike. i mean, on the yz125 they knew it was a problem in 2006 and fixed it in 2007. fast forward to 2014 and they put in the exact same part that is highly prone to failure. i dont get it.

. In know and Theye revised the part and wouldn't pay for it to be put in. I also have a 14 250f same problem and the water pump shaft yamaha made new revised parts but would not acknowledge a problem so I had to pay for both. I love yamaha's or I would have switched brands but there customer relations sucks.

They will pay for those that fail under warranty, just like they told you they would.  The '06 YZ450 had the same "problem".  For perspective, I replaced the one in my son's '06, but never my own, and after 350 hours, it hasn't broken.  I know of at least 3 other '06's with the same "defective" part that are still running the original ball bearing arm. 

They will pay for those that fail under warranty, just like they told you they would. The '06 YZ450 had the same "problem". For perspective, I replaced the one in my son's '06, but never my own, and after 350 hours, it hasn't broken. I know of at least 3 other '06's with the same "defective" part that are still running the original ball bearing arm.

My dealer told me yamaha did not put a code 90 recall code on it so it wouldn't be covered if the motors grenaded on both my bikes and I took my 250 in two weeks after I bought it. Theye simply weren't calling it a recall it was a customer decision upgrade.

My dealer told me yamaha did not put a code 90 recall code on it so it wouldn't be covered if the motors grenaded on both my bikes and I took my 250 in two weeks after I bought it. Theye simply weren't calling it a recall it was a customer decision upgrade.

It is also up to the dealer, my dealer has replaced EVERY '14 250f and 450f shift stopper for the bikes he sold at no cost to customer. Might pay to ask, the worst they will do is say no. 

• Like 1

One other thing...I was looking for a kick stand. What is the best brand to get for this bike?

Thanks again

I don't know what brand nane it is but it's great you put your bike on the platform then push down and it's secured both wheels off the ground. Check out Rocky Mountain ATv they have them.

I don't know what brand nane it is but it's great you put your bike on the platform then push down and it's secured both wheels off the ground. Check out Rocky Mountain ATv they have them.

Thats a BIKE stand, not a KICK stand. It would be a bit bulky to carry on trail rides. 

My '14 was lean when new with no mods. Fyi

Checked my shift stopper at 20hrs and it was fine. Changed it anyway as it was cheap insurance.

. Ya I changed mine to with four hrs on it to be safe. I have a real good map for the bike if your interested I can post it for you it really made the bike respond well in all areas.

My '14 was lean when new with no mods. Fyi

Checked my shift stopper at 20hrs and it was fine. Changed it anyway as it was cheap insurance.

was it lean enough to do any damage to the engine in the factory configuration?

if so, what kind of map did you use on your stock engine with no mods?

thanks

was it lean enough to do any damage to the engine in the factory configuration?

if so, what kind of map did you use on your stock engine with no mods?

thanks

No damage, not that lean. Typical decel pop on occasion.

Can't help on the map, one of my racing buddies hook me up on its first day. Haven't changed it since.

Edited by CZRoger