Could this be a problem?

16 replies to this topic
  • Yzrider1023

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have a 2006 yz450 that I just bought and when I warmed it up after topping off the radiator it dripped a tiny bit out of the weep hole could this be a issue?

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yup.  Leaking water pump seal and possible worn impeller shaft. 

• Yzrider1023

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:30 PM

Yup. Leaking water pump seal and possible worn impeller shaft.

But it was only a little bit and I'm not really losing any coolant

• mdsharon

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:31 PM

Yup.  Leaking water pump seal and possible worn impeller shaft. 

Water pump seal is a easy fix 20 bucks.Fix it cause it will get worse.

Edited by mdsharon, December 02, 2014 - 05:31 PM.

• Yzrider1023

Posted December 03, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Water pump seal is a easy fix 20 bucks.Fix it cause it will get worse.

Would it still be good to ride like two more rides because it only leaks a little or should I replace it before I ride

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2014 - 09:00 AM

Do you know that the bike has only about 1 quart and a half of coolant in the system?

Do you have an idea of how expensive overheating it can be?

• Yzrider1023

Posted December 03, 2014 - 09:02 AM

Do you know that the bike has only about 1 quart and a half of coolant in the system?

Do you have an idea of how expensive overheating it can be?

I know that but it only leaks a few drops everyone in a while I think it could go one more ride

• Yzrider1023

Posted December 03, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Would they have the parts to fix it at a local dealership or would I have to order it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2014 - 01:41 PM

A lot of dealers carry that.  You should replace the shaft oil seal, the shaft water seal, and the shaft bearing at minimum.  You should probably also buy a new right side crankcase cover gasket.  You might need a shaft as well. 

Read these two posts:

http://www.thumperta...0-coolant-leak/

http://www.thumperta...ter-pump-seals/

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted December 04, 2014 - 12:10 AM

Risky riding it. I wasn't willing to roll the dice and spent a day I planned on riding to fix it. Hot Rods make a rebuild kit that includes the seals, bearing, and water pump cover gasket for less than 20$. Oem at my local shop was over 40$ and they only had one of the seals on hand.
I was able to reuse my right side cover.

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted December 04, 2014 - 12:12 AM

Be thankful Yamaha has the weep hole to warn you that you might be getting ready to make a bad decision.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:26 AM

It isn't for warning purposes.  The reason it's there is to prevent oil or coolant from contaminating the other fluid volume.  Coolant that leaks from the seal has a way to drip out through that port without putting any pressure on the oil seal.  It's common practice to lay in escape passages like that, even on car engines, anywhere the cooling system butts up against the crankcase.

• Yzrider1023

Posted December 04, 2014 - 12:51 PM

Ok thanks for all the answers I ordered the hot rods repair kit

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:28 PM

Ok thanks for all the answers I ordered the hot rods repair kit

The kit does not include the impeller shaft that may need replaced if grooved out.

• mch

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:35 PM

I just read this thread.  Hopefully you meant the weep hole near where the radiator hoses go into, and not the one in the head.. :)

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted December 05, 2014 - 02:21 PM

Weep hole is located under the water pump that the 2 bottom radiator hoses are connected to.

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2014 - 02:53 PM

Retail for the two seals and the bearing from Yamaha is under $30. The shaft is what's expensive.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.