Modified stock or replacement slip on for '14?

12 replies to this topic
  • Wristrockit

Posted November 30, 2014 - 09:14 AM

I just brought home a '14 WR450F.  Haven't even been able to ride it yet because of a cold snap here. 

Anyway,  I see that Yamaha has a "performance" replacement muffler tip in their performance catalogue.  I also noticed that they feature a GYTR FMF pipe there too.  My question is: other than weight, would there be any noticeable performance difference between the stock mod. and the FMF replacement? 

I don't want to be too loud but I wouldn't mind "uncorking" the thing a little bit.  I will buy the race ECU probably next week, if, in fact it is necessary, and my buddy at the shop says he'll tune if for me free with the Yamaha tuner if I need it. 

On a side not, I heard/read somewhere that with the pipe mod. (or was it the GYTR FMF slip-on?) you can simply put the race ECU in with the provided map and get very good results.  Does anyone share that opinion or perhaps believe otherwise? 

In the end, I want the bike to run closer to it's design limits, not too close though, and I want to be able to hear it more.  I'd rather NOT spend the $300.00 for a slip-on as this isn't the only bike in the stable and these things are chewing through my pocket book and future enough as it is!  I ride with ear plugs in most of the time and I'm kinda deaf anyway so it helps me keep it in the sweet spot if I can hear it.

As a reference; my last "dirt bike" was an '11 RMZ 450. I don't expect nor do I want my WR to run like that top fuel dragster of a bike but I want to make sure I'm not disappointed either.

Thanks guys!!

• YZ250SubGuy

Posted November 30, 2014 - 05:40 PM

I went with a Rocket exhaust with the FIM setup with a spark arrestor to keep it quiet. The GYTR insert doesn't have a spark arrestor in it, so I went with a Rocket. The more open exhaust combined with the Comp. Ecu really wakes it up. I use the Aussie map for the woods here in New England. The bike is really choked up stock and if you open it up, you need to retune it or it will run lean. If your friend will tune it for you, load one of the provided maps and go from there.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted November 30, 2014 - 06:54 PM

The GYTR tip utilizes the stock spark arrestor. I didn't ride mine prior to installation of the tip, so I can't comment on the gain. I did install a Dr. D slip-on this fall and the mid range really came alive. It's a little louder than I like, but the gain was very noticeable.

• Nuklhed

Posted November 30, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Get the GYTR tip.  It's much bigger in diameter than stock...doesn't really make it louder, either.  And, you'll still have the stock exhaust to make the forest circus happy when they harrass you for non-DOT tires!

• Wristrockit

Posted November 30, 2014 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.  I took the tip off and it looks like I can retain the spark arrestor so I'll probably go with the GYTR tip.  Guess I got some orderin to do tomorrow.

PS: I got to ride it for about a half our today, it was 25* so I didn't ride it any more than that.  I really just want to break it in for now anyway.  It has decent power and I LOVE the suspension!  It sure soaks up the bumps well and it really keeps those knobblies planted too.  This is a very nice addition to the stable for sure.  It was sure getting hard to get my dirt fix on the Bush Pig (KLR650)!

• offrd beatr

Posted November 30, 2014 - 10:04 PM

Ecu and a good slip on are absolutely necessary. The stock silencer cannot be saved. The transfer ports between baffles inside the muffler are the same size as the tiny tip. Putting a bigger tip on it won't change the insides of it. It's crazy lean in stock form. The map that comes on the race ecu works well for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wristrockit

Posted December 01, 2014 - 04:28 AM

More than likely, by the end of next Summer I'll have a proper slip-on, on it but for right now I'll go with the tip and ECU.  Only the Bush Pigs have stock exhaust on them, my gf and I wear blue tooth communication and my Lexx w/o the quiet insert (I don't have it) is far too loud when we need to talk while moving.  They'll prolly stay stock until further notice.

• yamahadude93

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hey! I just got a new '14 wr450 Friday! I got the ecu comp kit, mainly to get the throttle restrictor out. I also got one of those fmf power core pipes. I haven't rode the bike yet, but if it's too noisy, they sell a quiet insert for it. They say you won't need to redo the mapping if you just do a slip on. FYI. I just posted a thread as well asking about graphics.. I also have a pic of the new girlfriend on there!

• Wristrockit

Posted December 02, 2014 - 04:30 AM

Hey! I just got a new '14 wr450 Friday! I got the ecu comp kit, mainly to get the throttle restrictor out. I also got one of those fmf power core pipes. I haven't rode the bike yet, but if it's too noisy, they sell a quiet insert for it. They say you won't need to redo the mapping if you just do a slip on. FYI. I just posted a thread as well asking about graphics.. I also have a pic of the new girlfriend on there!

I won't argue the point about not needing a retune after installing a slip-on but I will say this, I put a slip-on, on my '11 RMZ450 and it was horribly hard to start after that.  No matter which "remap plug" it plugged into it, it was simply horrible to start.  That is why I'm so concerned with this bike.  It's a turd to start with the elect. start as it is.  I'm in that thread I believe, I'll go check out your pix..

• yamahadude93

Posted December 02, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Give me a few hours, I'll be getting it in the mail today, and I'll post a video. Hopefully I can figure out how to post the video!

• Wristrockit

Posted December 16, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Put the ECU in and the Yamaha tip. Sounds better and started quicker. Not sure why 'cuz from what I understand, the race ECU has the same map. Maybe it was the tip? I dunno.

• revelc

Posted December 17, 2014 - 05:31 AM

Put the ECU in and the Yamaha tip. Sounds better and started quicker. Not sure why 'cuz from what I understand, the race ECU has the same map. Maybe it was the tip? I dunno.

I found the exact same thing. My brand new 2012 kept dying at stop lights and running lean. It wouldn't warm up without dying. That's even with the idle screw all the way up.

I replaced the throttle stop and ECU....the bike came alive. It started easier. Idled better. I really like the Motocross map.

I've had the Yoshimura and the FMF Q4 pipe. Both are nice and quiet pipes. The Yoshimura had better fit and finish as well as the best tone. But it is also too fragile as I could see someone falling and crushing the carbon fiber tip.

The Q4 is ok. Nothing fancy but it's a good quiet pipe you can beat and bash on without worry of damaging it. It is not much louder than stock and it's tone is nothing fancy.

I personally don't feel either pipe provided very much gain for what you spend. The uncorked stock pipe works just as well. My butt dyno wasn't impressed with either slip on.

If I could do it again I'd drill two baffles in the stock pipe and spend the money on more tires.

• yamahadude93

Posted December 18, 2014 - 05:52 PM

ya same here. it struggled trying to start with the stock set up. i put the ecu and fmf power core on,  :banana:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.