wr 250x or wr450f for learners?

34 replies to this topic
  • cracker please

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:23 AM

Hmm 300 pounds

That's what Yamaha claims it weighs.  There's always a guy with a motorcycle scale at his house that says the manufacturer is lying.  Who knows.

• Chaconne

Posted December 07, 2014 - 07:09 AM

Around 20 lbs lighter...

And wr250f is around 15lbs lighter than the wr450. If the OP is after street legal I think there will be weight increases in any case if the laws are similar to US. The 250x seems to be targeted to the riding goals by description at least, but mods are always possible.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 07, 2014 - 08:30 AM

U guys are going to get this kid killed! The 450 is suitable for a guy around 160. He said he's 120! Get a 250. The weight difference will help ur riding, instead of trying to hold on for dear life!

I agree totally.   Start small and work your way up.    He's coming off of a klx140 and 120lbs.   That is 250 territory without a doubt.    You don't learn much by picking up a 450, or when you are healing.

• offrd beatr

Posted December 08, 2014 - 02:22 PM

Just buy the big one and be done. Take your junk out of the wife's purse and ride!!

• GP1K

Posted December 08, 2014 - 03:14 PM

Always better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. You learn bad habits if you learn to ride on a big fast bike, guaranteed. You learn good habits and gain much more skill if you learn how to wring out a smaller bike, that will pay dividends once you're ready for the bigger/powerful bike. The reverse is not true.

• rjeffery1

Posted December 08, 2014 - 04:30 PM

It's also more FUN to ride a small displacement bike fast than a big displacement bike slow..

• mch

Posted December 11, 2014 - 09:43 AM

The WR450 weighs a lot when picking it up and pushing up a ramp.  I don't think my YZ is much lighter, but those 20 or so pounds seem a lot more significant when loading my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revelc

Posted December 11, 2014 - 12:51 PM

The WR450F is 20 pounds LIGHTER than the other bike OP was talking about.

Edited by revelc, December 11, 2014 - 03:31 PM.

• offrd beatr

Posted December 11, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Too many people trying to save us from ourselves. Everybody should ride super heavy underpowered bikes because it makes you a better rider. This is the largest crock of shit ive ever heard. Riding anemic turds does not improve your skill. Riding what you want to ride+ seat time makes you better.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 11, 2014 - 06:42 PM

You should buy both!

• revelc

Posted December 11, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Too many people trying to save us from ourselves. Everybody should ride super heavy underpowered bikes because it makes you a better rider. This is the largest crock of shit ive ever heard. Riding anemic turds does not improve your skill. Riding what you want to ride+ seat time makes you better.

This.

I go down on my 450 as much as I would on a 250 because I'm a newer rider.
I have had both bikes in the past year. I've only been riding a year as of January so that should show you that you don't have to flog a 250 to death before you upgrade.

The WR250R was anemic and did NOT like to be ridden hard and fast... well it did, but it was gutless even with full exhaust and programmer.

To get the power delivery I needed I had to go up 9 teeth in the rear.

You have to rev the piss out of it to get into its power band.

I ended up wrecking it and after some prompting from others, I got the 450.

WR450F Pros:
The 450 is at least 20lbs lighter. So the heavy bike arguement is moot.

It's got power everywhere. I can power wheelie in 5th gear with 14/50 as my gear ratio (+1 cs sprocket).

Even geared that tall the bike is also true to itself as an off road animal. It snorts up hills with attitude, lugs like a champ, and can blip over logs with ease.

Being lighter means it will be more forgiving when you're picking up its dead weight.

WR250R/X Pros:
The closest you'll get to a daily driver that's off road capable.

With its engine design borrowed from a Yamaha liter bike, the smaller displacement engine can run WFO for much longer periods of time.

One of the best suspension setups available for a dual sport under $10,000.

The smaller 250 engine also has an incredibly long interval between valve checks.

The extra weight does have its advantages. It is slightly easier to ride on the interstate because it is more planted and when going downhill with loose soil and rocks it feels easier to stop.

WR450F Cons:
You will go through rear tires faster.

You will have to learn good clutching to manage the power in tight technical areas.

Valve adjustments SHOULD be more frequent.

All those tickets for hooning.

WR250R/X Cons:
Underpowered. The bike just doesn't have the beans to make it up a hill without fanning the clutch and gearing it down.

Heavier. You don't want to have to say "It's not that bad", when asked how hard it is to pick up your bike when the going gets rough.

It's not a true dirt bike. It's great fun off road but not the best choice if you enjoy enduro syle riding.

It's a 250.

Edited by revelc, December 12, 2014 - 04:07 AM.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Reveic - Nicely written

• Nuklhed

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Your national speed limit is only 100 KM/H.  Having lived in Dunedin for two years, not quite in the wop wops, I'd go with the 450.  You can bring your game up to a bigger bike, making it harder to get bored compared with a smaller displacement bike.  But, the 250 is a good bike, too. 

Can you test drive either one?  Any demo days in your neighborhood?  If you're riding the beach, I'd go with a 450 for throwing sand.

Cheers!

• Wristrockit

Posted December 12, 2014 - 04:58 PM

This.

• underground-mpyre

Posted December 13, 2014 - 02:43 AM

Nice write-up, Revel.

All the definitive equal points on the Pro's & Con's. Nicely done!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.