can't find timing mark for TDC

4 replies to this topic
  • luvmythumper

Posted January 31, 2002 - 06:36 PM

Need some help guys. I am checking valve clearances for the first time and can't find the TDC mark. In the book they show it as a large l that goes spans the entire hole. I see the 3 timing marks. Is it one of those?

• Hick

Posted January 31, 2002 - 07:26 PM

Reading them in a clockwise direction, the first two marks you see should actually be part of a single “H” mark. The distance between the two marks or legs on the “H” represents the acceptable ignition timing range (which would be before TDC).

The third mark is TDC. Peek down there and line up this mark, then look up at the cams. If the cam lobe tips are facing away from each other you are ready to check, if they are facing inwards turn the crank one more time.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted February 01, 2002 - 03:09 AM

The timing mark is not as long as it looks in the manual, it should be very near the double lines . mike

• MikeOK

Posted February 01, 2002 - 11:53 AM

On mine the timing mark is barely there at all. You have to get down low and it is the mark right on top of the flywheel right after the "H". Also as Hick said it should be lined up when the cam lobes are facing away from each other, or when the dots on the cam gears are lined up with the edge of the case, this is probably the most accurate method. I used a magic marker to mark mine. Look in the book and it spells it out pretty clearly.

• Boit

Posted February 01, 2002 - 10:00 PM

Can you see the rotor spinning inside the hole when you turn the crank over? I use a mini-mag lite to peer inside the hole and can clearly see the marks.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.