how to sell a 2006 yz450 ?

11 replies to this topic
  • DTM Industries

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:12 PM

So iv tryed to sell my 06 yz450 ( set up for desert ) for about 3 months now and no luck , I haven't seen any other used yz450 s selling ether . Ill probably keep the bike now for thanksgiving weekend and mabey new year's trip but after that id like to get rid of it so I can get my KTM 500 .

06 yz450 seem to go for $ 2000-$3200 but the 3 people that texed me all were newbie riders looking for A 450 and only had $2000 to there name . I've got over $3300 into the bike and I know ill never get it out of it but its got to be worth $3K
I have this idea of parting the bike out and getting more money if I sell off all the goodies , has anyone had luck doing this or is it a toltal waste ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1408427467914.jpg
  • 1408427664227.jpg
  • 1408427551641.jpg
  • 1408427773924.jpg
  • 1408427714531.jpg

• Swappa

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:59 AM

So iv tryed to sell my 06 yz450 ( set up for desert ) for about 3 months now and no luck , I haven't seen any other used yz450 s selling ether . Ill probably keep the bike now for thanksgiving weekend and mabey new year's trip but after that id like to get rid of it so I can get my KTM 500 .

06 yz450 seem to go for $ 2000-$3200 but the 3 people that texed me all were newbie riders looking for A 450 and only had $2000 to there name . I've got over $3300 into the bike and I know ill never get it out of it but its got to be worth $3K
I have this idea of parting the bike out and getting more money if I sell off all the goodies , has anyone had luck doing this or is it a toltal waste ?

I spent 5 minutes looking and found some decent examples for $2,300. Your biggest problem is what you think its worth.

FYI, its worth the same with or wthout your offroad parts.

I would post it as it is on the AMA District 37 forum as there are offroad riders there who are starting to get back out in the dez. They value the reliablility and good susp on YZ450F.

If after 2 weeks you have to sell as an Mx bike. Realize that your your biggest local market are the mx guys who will search CL. Strip the handguards, skid plate, shark fin ebay for some new graphics/plastics/bars/grips/barpad/chain. De-offorad it.

Soda blast the ign and stator covers and scotchbrite the aluminum.  Take some decent photos in the morning/evening outside and don't expect $2,300 cash if that's the price you list.

Make your listing easier to find. Add keywords in your ad txt such as: YZ YZ450 YZ450F YZ450-F YZF Yamaha ... they all bring different results.

• TwoCrfs

Posted November 25, 2014 - 02:22 PM

I agree.  Its an 06, its an older bike.  Its in ok shape but you can tell its been ridden.  The only way your going to get top dollar on a used bike is if it is in near new condition and stock.

• nholden98

Posted November 25, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Around here you can get 10-13 YZ450Fs for 3500, I'd drop the price some.

• DTM Industries

Posted November 25, 2014 - 09:54 PM

I spent 5 minutes looking and found some decent examples for $2,300. Your biggest problem is what you think its worth.

FYI, its worth the same with or wthout your offroad parts.

I would post it as it is on the AMA District 37 forum as there are offroad riders there who are starting to get back out in the dez. They value the reliablility and good susp on YZ450F.

If after 2 weeks you have to sell as an Mx bike. Realize that your your biggest local market are the mx guys who will search CL. Strip the handguards, skid plate, shark fin ebay for some new graphics/plastics/bars/grips/barpad/chain. De-offorad it.

Soda blast the ign and stator covers and scotchbrite the aluminum.  Take some decent photos in the morning/evening outside and don't expect $2,300 cash if that's the price you list.

Make your listing easier to find. Add keywords in your ad txt such as: YZ YZ450 YZ450F YZ450-F YZF Yamaha ... they all bring different results.

I toltal agree and im almost certain ill get some cash around the $2k range but im definitely going to wait until after new year's so I can get a couple good desert trips in , and I will look on the ama D37 web site and check out the fourm

• Dexter42

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:02 PM

I sold mine for 2100 and was happy I got it sold, I like you was sitting on it for a while. Sometimes your better off cutting you loses and run with the highest serious bidder. Everyone knows you will never get what you put into them, you'll be lucky to get kbbm.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1416981734.753307.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:09 AM

If you have the stock parts take off the aftermarket stuff and sell it separate.  It adds zero value to the bike on the used market.  Might help it sell a bit quicker but will not add anything to the value.  You could probably sell that damper and pipe for 3-400 separate from the bike.  These bikes go all day long from 2-2500 in my area.  Even low hour pristine examples.  It is now 3 generations old.

• DTM Industries

Posted November 26, 2014 - 07:58 PM

If you have the stock parts take off the aftermarket stuff and sell it separate.  It adds zero value to the bike on used market.  Might help it sell a bit quicker but will not add anything to the value.  You could probably sell that damper and pipe for 3-400 separate from the bike.  These bikes go all day long from 2-2500 in my area.  Even low hour pristine examples.  It is now 3 generations old.

I do have almost everything to put the bike back to stock , the only thing I dont have is the stock cluch basket ,the suspension was re valved for desert / trials / duning and what ever the do with the spring rate valving , i have all the stock factory fork springs and rear shock spring but then im spending money on a redo to but it back to stock so mabey someone can buy my suspension and just trade for there stock forks and rear shock ?

• mikedabike

Posted November 27, 2014 - 03:32 AM

Wouldn't bother messing with the suspension but it has no real value unless you find that specific person who is the same weight, skill level, and does the same type of riding as you.  It is pretty simple.  Regardless of what you "value" the bike at the market will dictate what you can sell it for.  Maybe you will get lucky and find the right buyer but the reality is that there are tons of 2nd gen YZ450s on CL for 2-2500K.  Might be a few 08-09s for 3K but even they are not moving fast since that is starting to get you in the territory where you can buy a newer FI model.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2014 - 08:28 AM

That's the basic problem; the value of a used bike drops off to a point where it levels off for several years, but it's the same point that previous models have dropped to and leveled off at.  That puts your bike, an '06, just like mine, in a pool of YZ450's spanning as far back as '03 and running up to '09 that have a market driven price point of $2000-$2500.  Something has to stand out about it to get anyone to pay for yours at the top of that range, and there's a lot of competition.  In my case, there isn't any way I'd get what I have in mine, or what it's been worth to me as it is, and not everything is transferable to a later model, nor would it necessarily be worth the effort to try. 

All the "cool stuff" will make more people pick yours over another sooner, but, it's still in a big pool of bikes, and there are later models in that pool with less time on them, and the same goodies you have.  The only path to a quick sale is to drop the price to the point it can't be resisted, which is naturally going to require you to give something up.

• chrisford4x4

Posted February 19, 2015 - 06:49 AM

Ask Cowboyona426..........

• cowboyona426

Posted February 23, 2015 - 04:48 PM

Ask Cowboyona426..........

Just needed the right buyer to come along!  I had mine listed on a Facebook swap meet site for a while thinking it would sell but it never got much attention.  It did as soon as I put it on Craigslist though, you were one of the first to contact me and I think it was the day after I posted it.

Good photos of the bike from several angles help a ton from my experience as well.

Edited by cowboyona426, February 23, 2015 - 04:48 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.