Stripped lower oil drain hole solution. WR426

1 reply to this topic
  • scottvor

Posted November 24, 2014 - 03:28 PM

The previous owner wasn't much of a mechanic and amongst many other stripped bolts, I found the oil drain hole with barely any threads.

I thought about helicoil, time-serts, etc. but I ended up drilling it out and retapping. Looking in the case, there's not much material there so I don't think an M14 would work. The next closest size up is Imperial but I went with that anyways. I used 1/2"-20 tpi and I have no problem torqueing the drain bolt to spec (20N-m I believe). I used a 1/2" x 3/4" bolt for my drain plug. I had some copper washers that fit perfectly for a crush washer. I'm not sure what the original application was.

When drilling it out, I put some assembly grease in there to catch any shavings. After all was said and done, I also poured some oil through the engine as well to wash out anything. 19mm socket fits on the 1/2" bolt head perfectly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted November 26, 2014 - 10:01 AM

Since there is not much meat, you need a fine pitch thread for that application.

Example: 1/4 inch screws come in 20 threads per inch and 28 TPI. use the 28

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.