Shortening subfame

2 replies to this topic
  • forgotmyusername

Posted November 23, 2014 - 03:43 PM

I was having a conversation with a supercross rider we support and he was talking about lowering his subframe. I thought shaving the seat or lowering the subrame was just for short people.

I'm told that it affects the handling characteristics. Can anyone elaborate?

The year, model doesn't really matter as this is a general question but the bike is a '15 YZ250F

Edited by forgotmyusername, November 23, 2014 - 04:16 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2014 - 05:57 PM

It can only affect the way that the bike and rider interface while the rider is seated. Obviously has no effect at all while standing.  YZF's are very fussy about liking the rider to sit well forward, and anything you do to lower the seating position by either shaving the seat or lowering the sub will encourage the rider to move farther to the rear.   But, if you sit too high on the bike, then the weight of your lower body swings through a larger arc, and has more inertia, making quick changes of direction more difficult.  Sit too low, and you simply lose leverage over the mass.

• forgotmyusername

Posted November 23, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Appreciate the explanation makes sense. Dudes obv a better rider than I'll ever be, I just didn't get the purpose.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.