Advice wanted on my new 450

6 replies to this topic
  • Comp307

Posted February 04, 2004 - 03:13 AM

Just found this site and I'm sure I'll spend far too much time on it! I just purchased a 2004 WRF450. I've read about the "freebie" modes (grey wire, air box, throttle stop, etc.). I'm curious as to those of you that have had your bikes for a while as to what else it needs. I'm a past motocross rider (as in early 80's -- and no, I wasn't very good) and want to get back into woods riding. In the past I typically rode 250 motocross bikes in the woods, had a short stint on 4 wheelers and finished my last ride @ 5 years ago on a CR 500. My decision came down to the Yamaha or KTM. I chose the Yamaha because of my dealer and cost. I'm 6' 220# and really would appreciate your feed back. Thanks, Chuck.

• oldbones

Posted February 04, 2004 - 04:13 AM

Armor. Check out the CFC clutch cover, cheap insurance. Rad guards would be nice, and cheaper than a new radiator.

Bars and handguards. Your stock bars may not last long, and the bikes ergos can be vastly improved with aftermarket bars. Handguards are a must in my opinion, definitely check out the ones made by TUSK before you buy.

Search for "footpeg mod", it's free, easy, and a must for 6' or taller riders.

Tires... Are they still using the 739? If so, IT SUCKS! Go ahead and use the rear up (won't take long), but the S-12 up front makes it a much better ride.

Also, at 220#, you (like me) could probably benefit greatly from some professional help with your suspension (starting with heavier springs).

Let's see, how much more of your money can I spend...
Just kidding though, I think those are all worth while mods.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 04, 2004 - 04:58 AM

As a minimum besides all the free mods get the following:
Rad Guards, Skid Plate, frame guards, bark busters, 5.6 kg rear shock spring, seal savers, adjustable fuel screw, JD jetting kit. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted February 04, 2004 - 05:05 AM

if you want spend the money; aftermarket exhaust system. I waited a year to it on mine and wished I had done it a year ago, great performance improvement. most definetly get rid of the stock Dunlops, they work well in hardpack but that is all.

• SBK

Posted February 04, 2004 - 05:37 AM

Bill, did you see significnant improvements with the FMF over stock w/plug, or even over stock running un-corked? Seems like most things I've read suggested that if you can stand the noise, the stock 450 pipe is a good performer once uncorked. I know it's a heavy can, but the WR header pipe is Ti, right?

• bstanton

Posted February 04, 2004 - 06:05 AM

I started out with the free mods and they helped out! looking at your weight you really need to consider your suspension. Eight of my riding friends have taken there bikes to George at ESP in So Calif. After they got there bikes back I couldn't shut them up about how well there bikes takes the abuse. The jetting is important as well. It gives the bike better throttle repsonse :)

• Comp307

Posted February 05, 2004 - 04:06 AM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your thoughts. :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.