Grease Everything...

4 replies to this topic
  • Pooley

Posted January 30, 2002 - 04:37 PM

OK, now that there is lots of snow here in Michigan, I thought I would take the beast apart and lube everything just like it has been recommended for all new bikes (new in Oct 01).
Just what constitutes "everything"? I don't mind taking lots of things off, just as long as I don't need a professional mechanic to put it back together.

I am pretty handy with the tools and as long as its in the manual how to put it back together I'm OK.

Whats your collective advice? Any must do items?

Thanks.

• Thumpologist

Posted January 30, 2002 - 05:00 PM

I did the steering head and swing arm. The lower bearings in the steering head did not have much grease on them. I greased the wheel bearings too.

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: Thumpologist ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bob_Heald

Posted January 30, 2002 - 05:23 PM

I'm in the process of doing that right now. My bike is in many many pieces. The steering stem bearings needed it bad, and the bottom bearing on the shock was pretty much toast. Other than that, everything was ok. This is after riding all last season (but I did all this before I started riding last year).

Winter sucks, huh? I need to move to arizona.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 30, 2002 - 06:15 PM

I have just completed the MAJOR reconstruction of my bike this last week.
I had it in a virtual scrap heap on the bench and the only thing left was a frame/motor/front wheel on a stand.
Pretty amazing how many thing you can take apart to clean and grease on these things! :D
I did the steering head while I was at it.
Virtually everything on the rear end got the grease treatment.
wheel bearings
all the suspen linkage
swingarm
My advice is to take the rear end apart and pull all of that CRAP :) that Yamaha calls lubrication completely OUT!
pull all of the needles out into a dish and scrap the POLYcrap
rub a thin coat of grease around and reinstall the needles.(do one bearing at a time)
good luck
don't come up with 1 too many bolts!!!!LOL :D
G4

• Chewbacca

Posted January 31, 2002 - 08:53 AM

I've heard from others that you should leave the POLYcrap in the bearing as it will wear off over time. Not sure what the correct answer is though... other opinions???

I left my POLYcrap in and the only downside was that you really had to work the bearings to ensure that they would spin so you could apply grease to the entire bearing.

Chewy

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.