Another overheating thread

28 replies to this topic
  • Pengu power

Posted November 22, 2014 - 04:40 AM

This is what can happen if you over heat it too much mu 06 yz450f had a headgasket problem then this ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1416659925.446268.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1416659951.568721.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1416659967.201674.jpg

• Arizo

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:10 AM

So i have my engine open and i took out the 2 camshafts. 1 dint have a half moon in it and is heavely scratched like you can see on the photo. I do not understand it i installed both correctly before and the camshafts where still good in place. Did a half moon break and splinteres in my engine?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1416849053341.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2014 - 02:59 PM

The half moons cannot break in use because they never have any load put on them, and if they did break, the pieces couldn't get loose. If you put one in the last time and now are not able to find it, you probably dropped it down the chain tunnel.

• Pengu power

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:38 PM

Email fastheads
They are verry verry good at head reconditioning and rebuilding
With over 45 years of experience

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pengu power

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:45 PM

Quite cheap too
A lot cheaper than the cost of a new head .
A new head assembly with all parts 1300 +
A head reconditioned at fast heads 600/700$

• Arizo

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Ok so i will probely find it when i remove my stator. Or can it get to other areas also? But i do not understand how the scratches get there. Ok but when i rebuild something i do it myself :-)

• Pengu power

Posted November 25, 2014 - 01:28 AM

Stator . Oil .clutch ect
Remember it is probably all smashed up .whats the oil like .
And you can send them your head so they can fully repair it with state of the art milling cutting and surfacing equipment and you can buy the parts from them to build it your self
And porting is also an additional 148$

• Pengu power

Posted November 25, 2014 - 01:41 AM

The scratches can be from it either not being properly seated and breaking
Or not being there at all
Remember it's there for a reason to
Keep the cam and cap still
Even though it's bolted down
The amount of force and speed the cams are going without the half moon spacer "things will go wrong ".
.Check the oil
.pull the right side case off
.pull the stator cover and stator off
.check your gears just select them to make sure no jamming occurs
But I doubt it has gotten that far
. The whole thing cannot just
Come out by itself and move around
It either has to be there or not at all
It's quite easy to drop it into the cases and not realise
That's why putting a rag over the cam chain tunnel so nothing can drop down is a good idea .
Another thing what are the cam bearings like ?

Edited by Pengu power, November 25, 2014 - 01:44 AM.

• Arizo

Posted November 25, 2014 - 02:00 AM

I did put a towel in the opening but there was still a small gap between the camshaft gear. Everything else like buckets and camshafts are still in mint condition! Thats why i do not understand the scratches. This weekend i am gonna pull my stator maybe it fel into the engine like you said because it came off with some force so. Oh on the buckets are litle perfect circles visible from rlly minor scratching
Don't know from what. But like i said before the engine was running really good before i disassembly it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.