Another overheating thread

28 replies to this topic
  • Arizo

Posted November 16, 2014 - 10:26 AM

I have a yz426f with an yz450f 06 carb. I rebuilded the carb since it had a vacum leak. Now it got fixed running great with a low idle.
I have pilot jet 48. 165 main. Needle at second clip starting from the bottom.
There is engine ice in the radiators with a catch up tank for the overflow.
Yesterday i drove 5km at high to medium speed and sometimes slow speed. When i came home the catch up tank was full and he started spitting.
The coolant lvl in the radiators i fill just above the fins so not to full i think.
It was raining and 9 degrees celcius outside so i think it may not boil over that quick at such cold temperature.

Ideas?

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:00 AM

There is a good possibility that the head gasket is leaking.  This can be verified at a shop if they have the ability to test for combustion gasses in the cooling system. 

• Arizo

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Ok. Well ill just replace it since i din't do that when i putted new piston rings. Thx :-)

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Ok. Well ill just replace it since i din't do that when i putted new piston rings. Thx :-)

:facepalm: :banghead:

• Arizo

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Yeah i know. I din't do it because they are kind off expensive. Thought it was still in good shape

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Head gaskets are NEVER reusable.

The one exception is with solid copper gaskets thicker than 1mm.  They can usually be annealed and reused.  Steel sheet gaskets, whether of single or multiple sheet construction, will almost always fail to seal if reused.

• Arizo

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:23 AM

Ok. Did not know that

• mdsharon

Posted November 19, 2014 - 05:33 PM

Yeah i know. I din't do it because they are kind off expensive. Thought it was still in good shape

32 dollars is expensive ,engine ice is expensive..   lesson learned

• Arizo

Posted November 19, 2014 - 10:28 PM

I live in belgium in total the gasket cost me about 60 dollar so engine ice is nothing compared to that

• Texas2Smoker

Posted November 20, 2014 - 03:46 AM

Boyesen water pump is what I'd do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Arizo

Posted November 20, 2014 - 05:46 AM

Yes but thats rlly expensive. I would rather instal a 4" spal fan with thermo switch then

• Texas2Smoker

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Both good options, I'm thinking about doing both on my WR.

• mdsharon

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Yes but thats rlly expensive. I would rather instal a 4" spal fan with thermo switch then

if everything is running properly should not need either.  maybe try a higher pressure radiator cap.  good luck!

Edited by mdsharon, November 20, 2014 - 07:48 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:52 AM

I don't care how "properly" it runs, if you go slow enough for long enough in warm weather, it will overheat without fans.  Granted that may take some time if everything is perfect, but eventually, it will.

• Texas2Smoker

Posted November 20, 2014 - 08:15 AM

I don't care how "properly" it runs, if you go slow enough for long enough in warm weather, it will overheat without fans. Granted that may take some time if everything is perfect, but eventually, it will.

Mine overheats quite easily with a little clutch work out in tight woods.

if everything is running properly should not need either. maybe try a higher pressure radiator cap. good luck!

Simply not true

• Arizo

Posted November 20, 2014 - 10:47 AM

I am considering a spal fan setup for when i am at a traffic light. But i do not know how much watts my stator delivers.
Its aftermarket but i did not put it in and there is no brand on it. The battery can hold my current setup but a fan draws more current i think

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2014 - 10:58 AM

You can run small DC fans such as those from a computer chassis off of nothing more than a pair of 9v batteries for several hours.  If your bike has a battery on board, it should be no problem.

• Arizo

Posted November 20, 2014 - 01:02 PM

I have a battery on board that gets power from my stator. Yes i will try that

• mdsharon

Posted November 20, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Mine overheats quite easily with a little clutch work out in tight woods.
Simply not true

agreed, just sayin I don't think you need a fan.

• Texas2Smoker

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:11 PM

agreed, just sayin I don't think you need a fan.

I'll go to any length to extend the life of my engine, and Houston summers are miserable for bikes and humans, so anything I can do to keep my bike cooler will be done. Even if I think it might be overkill it's still worth it IMO.

Edited by TX2StrokeMan, November 21, 2014 - 09:37 AM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.