butt ugly in my opinion...lower the subframe?

6 replies to this topic
  • Tubs26

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:00 AM

so i bought a 1999 yz400f a month ago, has pretty damn good power! :jawdrop:  but i will admit, it was an impulse buy. i sold my motorcycle and was suppose to meet up with this jack wagon (super sketch sounding deal) to buy his bike, (at 10pm night time, 50 miles from my house...) so at about 6:30 i had enough of dealing with him and his lies so i quickly loaded up my truck and went and looked at this bike, every thing checked out, and i brought it home for $1200, and for $50 more he threw in 3! riding outfits, spare brand new tires, and a graphics set, i was sold.

anyways, brought the bike home, was doing further inspection and one thing that i couldn't do gracefully was get off the bike, it was huge! and im 6 foot, with a bad hip and ankle so getting on and off bikes for me has always been difficult. even though i hate how shaved seats look i had to choice but to shave it. i was in a hurry (planning on riding the next few days) so i did an ok-poor job shaving it (atleast to my standards, nobody else notices my mistakes except me) but the problem is, the seating position is super limiting, the rear end is high, and with the clark tank, the front is too high. my biggest concern in the back end though. any ideas on lowering the subframe about an inch or two?  the pictures i will post dont quite show how drastic it is but you get the point

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed.jpg
  • lkjh.jpg
  • dfhgffdg.jpg
  • fghddghghfd.jpg
  • gfhfhfdhg.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2014 - 11:03 AM

Here' the problem: The rear tire stands 27" high. It has to move up into the fender 12 more inches at full travel without hitting it. 27 plus 12 is 39 inches for the minimum height of the rear fender, upon which you need something for a seat.

The real problem with that bike is, one, you have an oversized gas tank on it that raises the front of the seat, and two, the seat isn't stock.  The foam has been cut down in the middle to make that part of it lower.  Take a look at the 400's and 426's in the picture threads, you'll see the difference.  And yes, they are all kinda tall at a standstill.

• Tubs26

Posted November 14, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Take a look at the 400's and 426's in the picture threads, you'll see the difference.

difference as in what? ive been looking at pictures off every bike from that generation and for some reason mine looks different in a bad way. there rear fenders look closer to the wheel then mine. mine just looks like an ugly duckling. i kinda wanna get rid of it and get something different i hate to say :thumbsdn:

in my opinion i think the tank is acting like an illusion to the seat. it makes it more curved. should i ditch the tank and get a stock one?

Edited by Tubs26, November 14, 2014 - 07:24 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2014 - 07:45 AM

Put a stock tank and seat on it and it will look like this:

DSC03597.jpg

• fdme

Posted November 15, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Also if you wanted to, you could possibly install a lowering link? You might be able to get the same "drop" the seat shaving gave you without having to shave it.

But I also think the bike does look best with the stock size tank and seat. Its too bad the extra mileage of a desert tank is too good to give up imo!

• Tubs26

Posted November 15, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Also if you wanted to, you could possibly install a lowering link? You might be able to get the same "drop" the seat shaving gave you without having to shave it.

But I also think the bike does look best with the stock size tank and seat. Its too bad the extra mileage of a desert tank is too good to give up imo!

Yeah I can't agree with you more, I wish I could have both but at the same time the stock tank would be lighter. I posted an ad saying I want to trade my gas tank for the stock one and someone has already replied and wants to trade, hopefully he pulls through. I'm pretty excited to have it look like it did when it came off the showroom.

If I install a lowering link would I have to lower the front forks somehow too?

• Tubs26

Posted November 15, 2014 - 01:49 PM

So I went and traded with him, super nice guy, and I put it on the bike and it looks a lot better! But with the Unshaved it would look prime.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.