10p block connector....for Taffy mod???

16 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted January 30, 2002 - 03:57 PM

Where did you guys buy these "10p block connectors" at for the Taffy mod? I am doing this mod to a 02' KTM520 SX on Saturday and need this connector. I went to Home Depot tonight and they didnt have anything that looked like it. I will be going to Radio Shack and I'm sure they will have something! It is a common electrical piece right?

Here are the pics for those of you who have no clue of what I am talking about!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks,
Garrett

• DPW

Posted January 30, 2002 - 04:12 PM

Garrett,
I was wondering the same thing. I e-mailed the guy that sent me the pictures, but no response. I also went to Home Depot too a couple of weeks and couldn't find anything that looked like the connector. Let me know what you find at Radio Shack.

• dsp426

Posted January 30, 2002 - 05:42 PM

what the heck is the taffy mod?

• motoman393

Posted January 30, 2002 - 05:51 PM

In a nutshell the Taffy mod does the same thing the BK mod does except it is for the 98-99 YZ/WR's and KTM520's, DRZ400, etc! Hopefully someone can tell me where they got there block connector from, or I will go with the KL mod (my god there is alot of names...how about BK #1, BK#2, etc, etc LOL! Thanks,

Garrett

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 30, 2002 - 06:00 PM

:)
ok
Garret can you explain the pix a little for those of us that are sssslloooowwww!
I am not picking up what is modified on the pic.
is it on your WONDERFULL webpage?
Can you give me a little detail?
I have a 99' YELLA bike.!yz
G4 :D
:D

• JAMIE_WILLIAMS

Posted January 30, 2002 - 08:29 PM

This connector is a very common connector use by electricians for joining earth wires together for house wiring etc.In Australia we call them BP connectors and you can pick them up from any electrical whole saler for about 30c each.Make sure you get the earth ones because it is the only one with two screws.

• JAMIE_WILLIAMS

Posted January 30, 2002 - 09:44 PM

http://www.hpm.com.au/
Looking at the WEB these connectors may not be so common in the U.S.
If you look at the above link under INSTALLATION ACCESSORIES/EARTH CONNECTORS you will see them.

This is a Australia company but they sell to global dealers.If you can't find them anywhere you might be able to contact these people and see if they have a local distributor.

I know this isn't much but it may help a little.

• Hick

Posted January 31, 2002 - 07:37 PM

Originally posted by THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER:
:)
ok
Garret can you explain the pix a little for those of us that are sssslloooowwww!
I am not picking up what is modified on the pic.
is it on your WONDERFULL webpage?
Can you give me a little detail?
I have a 99' YELLA bike.!yz
G4 :D
:D

The mod pictured is a way to limit the accelerator pump stroke on the Keihin pumper FCR carb, found on ’98 – ’99 YZF/WRs, and on past and current RFS KTMs, DRZs, the new CRF, and lots of other street and dirt bikes.

The first pic shows the “block” electrical connectors, apparently they come with plastic insulation which needs to be removed. Then you place the connector over the accelerator pump push rod, this is shown in the second picture. You place the connector on the rod, move it to where you want the pump to stop, and tighten it there. So instead of the pump rod bottoming on the diaphragm mechanism in the pump it is stopped when the block connector hits the housing.

I think.

In the third pic you can see how the rubber booty that keeps dirt out of the pump mechanism will fit over the block connector if you file or cut the screws down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 31, 2002 - 08:24 PM

Thanx HICK
I looked at the pic more closely after I saw your reply and saw where the connector is.
That is what happens when you get old......
first you lose you sight
then you just don't listen or pay attention anymore.......or is that backwards? :)
Anyway Thanx again. i am going into town tommorow to try to find one maybe at RadioSHACK?
I ' let y'all know.

PS
jUST for quick ref......which way is more spray UP or DOWN with the adjuster?
I am assuming that the further DOWN the cnxtr - the less spray time? is that right?
After all ASSuMption is the MOTHER of all %*&@UPS! :D \
Thx again ALL

• Hayseed

Posted February 01, 2002 - 11:38 AM

Originally posted by THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER:
jUST for quick ref......which way is more spray UP or DOWN with the adjuster?
I am assuming that the further DOWN the cnxtr - the less spray time? is that right?

My vote is for DOWN also. All the way down with the throttle closed would/should turn the pump off completely.

• Hayseed

Posted February 01, 2002 - 11:45 AM

I believe Taffy measures his stroke with a feeler gauge between the block connector and carb body. Has it set pretty “lean” at .032 inches (less than 1 mm, ~ .8).

• Scarylong

Posted February 01, 2002 - 12:18 PM

Those are common in the UK also. I have not seen them here in the USA.
Why would you need electrical connectors? I don’t under stand this mod.

• Taffy

Posted February 01, 2002 - 02:40 PM

ok

the last two posts; first i'm set at .024" or .6mm, i'd go for less but the pump wouldn't work effectively over such a short action.

the fuel catches up with the snapped throttle immediately everywhere except off the bottom in first and second. from a closed throttle the needle and slide move up but the needle straight dia sits in the emulsion tube blocking the hole even though the volume of air is going up. the needle straight is STILL there after you've pulled the slide up 6-9mm.

this is why for some people the D** needle which only sits 3-6mm in the hole is a better needle at low speeds.

i ran the bike for a year without the APJ and on swopping one day, oddly enough just as my testing had finished i noticed that my two friends bikes gave a jolt in first and second gear IF i closed the throttle and snapped it.

within one yard my bike was way better but i knew why theirs were better. the APJ

Taffy

• motoman393

Posted February 01, 2002 - 06:56 PM

I am doing the mod tomorrow morning...I will post results and pics on my site by the end of the weekend! Later,

Garrett

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 04, 2002 - 03:56 PM

Couldnt you just make your limiting device out of a small piece of aluminum instead of running down some obscure Australian ground connector? Seems to me that if youve got a decent drill index and tap and die set this outa be 30 min fabrication. Really Garret I expected more out of you. Go back to homedepot and buy a small piece of aluminum and made a "billet" piece. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 04, 2002 - 03:57 PM

Couldnt you just make your limiting device out of a small piece of aluminum instead of running down some obscure Australian ground connector? Seems to me that if youve got a decent drill index and tap and die set this oughta be 30 min fabrication. Really Garret I expected more out of you. Go back to homedepot and buy a small piece of aluminum and make a "billet" piece. :)

• motoman393

Posted February 04, 2002 - 04:15 PM

LOL...I was actually planning on doing a custom "motoman393 jimmy rig" :) I was thinking of drilling out a brass standoff from a computer and drilling and tapping a hole in the side of it (a brass standoff mounts the motherboard to the case, for any of you computer illiterate people :D ) But we took the carb off my friend's 520 and timed the duration of the squirt, and it was about .4 secs and shot immediately after the slide passed by! So the mod wasnt even necessary (we did richen up the pilot jet and changed the needle to an EMN, since it had a slight bog)! But I am sure I will do this mod in the near future, because someone will probably want me to do it for them! Later,

Garrett

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.