Fmf q4 for woods or spark arrestor in stock pipe

7 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted November 13, 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hey guys I have a 2012 yz450 I race mx but just joined a riding club. I currently run the stock pipe but they require a spark arrestor any good pipes that are close to stock decibel level have a spark arrestor and would give me some gains or would I be better off just sticking a spark arrestor in my stock pipe. I guess if there was no gains it would probably be silly and might as well keep the stocker and stick a spark arrestor in it as I couldn't care less about the bling factor of a shiny new pipe. The q4 looks like a nice pipe but don't know how it compares to stocker in terms of sound or performance my bike doesn't seem loud to me with the stock pipe and want to keep it that way thanks.

• n16ht5

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:38 PM

PMB spark arrestor. The only bad yz pipe was the 08-09. Otherwise you would be better off spending money on your suspension or guarding, light, etc

• Mtrain730

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:53 AM

PMB spark arrestor. The only bad yz pipe was the 08-09. Otherwise you would be better off spending money on your suspension or guarding, light, etc

Thank you that's the kind input I'm looking for I really never minded the stock pipe and liked the fact the sound level was reasonable for a mx bike but figured if I was ever gonna get one this would be the time since a spark arrestor is at least 100. I figured If I was gonna see a difference spring for the extra 200 and get a pipe but I'm leaning towards your recommendation. I am not looking to make the bike significantly louder than stock and that rules out most of the exhausts that would give me any gains that would be worth going to the effort of replacing the exhaust I would think.

Edited by grayracer513, November 14, 2014 - 11:04 AM.

• n16ht5

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:20 AM

Here is the cheapest good spark arrestor for stock pipe.

https://www.rockymou...rrestor-End-Cap

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtrain730

Posted November 14, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Here is the cheapest good spark arrestor for stock pipe.
https://www.rockymou...rrestor-End-Cap

Thank you for the link if I can just ask you one more question. I have never put a spark arrestor in some thing that didn't already have it will adding a spark arrestor alone make any change in how loud the bike is I noticed they make a quite core insert for the pmb end cap I thought that was pretty cool. I could put the spark arrestor and the quit insert in for the trails and take them both out for the track. I just noticed it looks like you could do that with the lexx end cap also because according the ad it comes with two different size cones.

Edited by Mtrain730, November 14, 2014 - 11:25 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2014 - 01:20 PM

My son insisted I leave the spark arrestor out of his new DRD pipe when he got it because of the performance hit he imagined would go with it.   I put it back in after a while and he never noticed.  Makes no discernible difference in either sound or power or jetting, for that matter.  None.

• Mtrain730

Posted November 14, 2014 - 01:59 PM

My son insisted I leave the spark arrestor out of his new DRD pipe when he got it because of the performance hit he imagined would go with it. I put it back in after a while and he never noticed. Makes no discernible difference in either sound or power or jetting, for that matter. None.

I went to a board meeting of a local riding club that I joined and they were saying that they were going to start questioning guys with real loud mx bikes and see if they had a spark arrestor. I actually heard one of the guys say they for preventing fires but they make the bikes quieter. I guess they don't know what there talking about. My bike doesn't seem loud to me but maybe I will just get one so it is not a issue and they can think what ever that want. This is private owned club. I don't really want to take issue since I was just accepted so maybe in the future I can think of polite way of saying spark arrestors are not gonna help any noise issues. Most of these guys ride utility atvs.

• Dexter42

Posted November 14, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Spark arrestor make a noise difference, or at least all the one I have dealt with have. There will be gains when you go to the mx track and remove it, it will probably remain the same as your stock when it's on thou. I have the fmf Q4 and its a bad pipe w/out it!!! Then again I like to hear that grunt, the spark arrestor makes it about as quiet at stock. There is also other pipes out there that different tips that will tune the noise of your pipe. Buying used is always and option and if you don't like it resell it for the same price. Ohv areas here/ I guess woods where your at require spark arrestors.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.