How many have dual sported the WR450?

15 replies to this topic
  • Spud786

Posted February 03, 2004 - 10:12 AM

Was checking out the new wr450's,the throttle pull seems to be a 1/4 or less turn throttle, I thought that was interesting does it work well?

But the main question, IMO this is an excellent bike to dualsport, just wondering the result of those whove done it.

• ddialogue

Posted February 03, 2004 - 11:27 AM

I dual-sported mine and I LOVE IT! I don't ride it on the road all the time but I have done some extended stints on the highway and it works just fine. The way things have been going lately, I think dual-sports are going to be the only way to go in the future. I don't believe I will ever go back to a motocross-only bike. Geez...talk about rambling on... :D :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 03, 2004 - 11:58 AM

This bike is awesome as a dual sport. I have the trick dual sport kit that was reviewed by this forum. http://www.trickdualsport.com/
It is a great kit. I like the UFO tail that seems to handle crashes very well. :) Today with more riding areas closing and the need to connect between riding areas and use fire roads and back roads the future is dual sport off roading.
Answer to question: The throttle is restricted to 1/4 turn stock but one simple cut of the bolt and you have a normal throttle rotation range. :D

• yamaharichey

Posted February 03, 2004 - 02:04 PM

Same here, In Utah they are not very strict if you're just going from dirt to dirt. All I did was install a rear brake light, a horn, and a mirror, its supposed to have a high-low beam and street legal knobbies but it passed inspection anyway. Its the way to go unless you live a long way from any riding areas, I'am about two blocks away so its a lot easier than loading it up.

• yogist

Posted February 03, 2004 - 02:29 PM

I am considering dual sporting the wr 450 also..
In arizona you can cross almost the entire state on dirt
roads and forest trails only encoutering small sections of
hiway you must be legal on..I believe the future of riding
is going to be liscense plates and insurance..Also the
indian reservations do not allow any unliscensed motor
cycle travel at all..You must be street legal..And
some of the prettiest land in the state is on the res. :)

• Spud786

Posted February 03, 2004 - 02:57 PM

I'll check out the link, thanks,

But curious as to why the throttle restriction?

• Spud786

Posted February 03, 2004 - 03:03 PM

Thanks,

What is the WR450 top speed with stock gearing, and MPG?

• ddialogue

Posted February 03, 2004 - 03:22 PM

With stock gearing I clocked my WR450 at 94.1 mph (with my gps.) Fuel mileage various greatly with the terrain but I can easily go 60-65 miles in the desert (not much sand) with the stock tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted February 03, 2004 - 05:48 PM

I have a Vermont plate for my WR450 here in Calif. Took alot of research to pull it off. Hoping to Xfer it over to CA later this year. :) :D

• RichBaker

Posted February 04, 2004 - 01:18 PM

I'll check out the link, thanks,

But curious as to why the throttle restriction?

It's part of Yamaha's answer to EPA noise limits, if you can only open the slide part way it's a quieter bike....and all we have to do to get full performance is cut the stop down or replace it with the YZ stop......cheap power :)

• gomopar440

Posted February 05, 2004 - 05:06 AM

The rev limiter kicks in on mine around 94-95 mph (GPS). I'm still running stock size gears & knobs (squirrely as hell on pavement :)) with 2300 miles on it. I average between 50 to 40 mpg because I mostly ride street (switching to supermoto setup soon). The tank has to be switched to reserve at around 85 miles. The longest I've gone without running out completely is around 104 miles (had maybe half an inch in the tank left) :D.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted February 06, 2004 - 11:12 AM

I have a Vermont plate for my WR450 here in Calif. Took alot of research to pull it off. Hoping to Xfer it over to CA later this year. :) :D

Would love to know how that turns out

• JB_In_Fla

Posted February 06, 2004 - 11:24 AM

Any chance you could email me a few details on how you did this and what modifications (if any) you made to the bike? I live in Florida and would love to LEGALLY take my WR on the road to get from trail to trail conveniently and safely.

jbeckman at tampabay dot rr dot com

Thanks for any info.

- Joe

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 06, 2004 - 02:06 PM

http://www.trickdualsport.com/
email or Call Dale for any questions. He will walk you through the easy installation. He even helped me with a question on a Saturday! Dale is cool. Phone: (661) 268-1094 Email: customersupport@trickdualsport.com

• RichBaker

Posted February 08, 2004 - 11:32 AM

Got my plate Friday......

• average joe

Posted February 09, 2004 - 04:47 AM

Anyone went through this process in KY? Just interested in what tricks there are in dealing with the local dmv...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.