02 YZ426 Tusk clutch kit.

2 replies to this topic
  • Spartan426

Posted November 09, 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hey everyone, I'm having a confusing time trying to install my new clutch kit (first time installing a new kit) I picked up a Tusk kit because of the decent reviews and low price point, I've heard the stories about them being junk as well but for the cost and seeing more positive then negitive I wanted to give them a shot.

Anyway the install instructions are very vauge, I'd like to know what needs to be installed. As it is right now I have the stock 2002 YZ426 clutch with the eight matching friction plates, and a 9th friction being a larger diamter, seven steel clutch disks and an 8th being the matte finish, also the cushion spring and a seat plate.

whats confusing me is the clutch packageing says, "before installing the tusk clutch kit be sure to remove all of your stock friction plates, drive plates, and any spacers or clutch boss springs (if applicable) your tusk clutc kit will be replacing your entire stock clutch stack."

thats pretty clear, whats throwing me off is that it says that but still incudes a special friction plate that has the larger diameter, as for the steel clutch plates they all look exactly the same.... So do i still need the cushion spring/seat plate anymore? and does it not matter if there is no special clutch disk anymore?

any imput would be much apprechiated.
Thank you!

Edited by Spartan426, November 09, 2014 - 12:50 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2014 - 07:48 AM

The plate with the larger ID is to clear the clutch boss spring.  Their instructions are claiming that you don't need it.  You can try it their way, and if it's grabby and difficult to modulate or feather it smoothly, you can add those parts back.  With a Tusk, I think I'd try it without the beveled spring and the spring plate, because Tusk clutches tend to drag rather badly at first as it is.  With boss spring gone, the position or use of the larger ID plate is unimportant.

• writebrian

Posted November 12, 2014 - 08:17 PM

I'm just going to give you one more warning. i put in the Tusk clutch after posting and asking here on TT and considering reviews from multiple sites. I was told what it would do and it did EXACTLY that. Swelled and shrunk so much during the course of a ride that it made it impossible to do anything but ride full out. Any terrain that required clutch control or finesse was a no go. I put up with it for two rides, and then found a new OEM clutch kit on eBay for $87.00 bucks. Tusk clutch is now in the trash.

Consider yourself warned. But if you are hard headed like me expect to buy two clutches.  

Edited by writebrian, November 12, 2014 - 08:19 PM.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.