15 replies to this topic
  • revelc

Posted November 08, 2014 - 01:49 PM

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen
2012 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

• letitsnow

Posted November 08, 2014 - 02:15 PM

Nice - I recommend that you chill out a bit until you have that beast paid off lol. 

• revelc

Posted November 08, 2014 - 02:40 PM

A new headlight is only $75

No biggie.

I usually don't ride this bad but I haven't ridden off road since my bike was stolen a few months ago. I need to ride it more after my arm heals up.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 08, 2014 - 03:02 PM

Lot's of stally-stally, but not too much crashy-crashy

That's not easy terrain, and it's certainly is not what I recommend you re-learn on. 

Sounds like your rear tire has too much air....lots of spin and no wheelies.

• revelc

Posted November 08, 2014 - 03:35 PM

Lot's of stally-stally, but not too much crashy-crashy

That's not easy terrain, and it's certainly is not what I recommend you re-learn on.
Sounds like your rear tire has too much air....lots of spin and no wheelies.

It's a bald dual sport tire on the rear. Haven't spooned on the stock tire yet.

I'm so ashamed of the stalls. Now I'm rethink the Rekluse :0

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 08, 2014 - 03:49 PM

It's a bald dual sport tire on the rear. Haven't spooned on the stock tire yet.

I'm so ashamed of the stalls. Now I'm rethink the Rekluse :0

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

NO NO NO!

Don't get a rekluse until you don't need one!

You should fail your way up to sucess, not avoid failure.

Once you learn how the clutch feels, cold to hot, sitting to standing, low rpms, high rpms, you will be fine. 

It takes a while.

I would avoid stunting all over the property, and practice flowing riding, turns, and balance.

• GP1K

Posted November 08, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Wow that's cool you have all that stuff to play on right in your back yard! I'm jealous.

If you want to get used to your bike and riding again pain free, and looks like you have plenty of room to do it, is try doing some control/balance drills like starting and stopping over and over while standing without putting a foot down. Take off from a stop, stand and then hit both brakes. Try to hold the stop like a mtn bike, and only take off again when you're about to put a foot down. Rinse and repeat. Or try to do full-lock turns and figure 8s while standing. These are drills from Shane Watts' dirtwise schools and they absolutely help with balance and clutch/brake control.

You definitely commit on the obstacles though, something a lot of people struggle with. You just need to get your 'sea legs' back, so to speak. :ride:

• beezer

Posted November 09, 2014 - 05:09 AM

I'd buy riding gear before I'd get a rekluse.  It looks like you're riding with work boots.

I never ride with worn tires.

It looks like you just need more seat time.  Easy to do when you can ride in your backyard.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • letitsnow

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:24 AM

A new headlight is only $75

No biggie.

I usually don't ride this bad but I haven't ridden off road since my bike was stolen a few months ago. I need to ride it more after my arm heals up.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Even though I ride an older WR ('06), I took off the lights/speedo/etc and replaced with simple YZ stuff.  I bounce off of the trees all the time too.  I'll save the fancy stuff for when it's time to sell. 

To each their own, but my advice about taking it easy until it's paid for is real.  Somebody gave me that advice about 20 years ago and I didn't take it.  I now (at 42 years old) have many trophies and a bunch of bad debt.  

• revelc

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for tips guys.

Yeah I'm pretty lucky. We live on 20 acres in the country. The woods area is going to be fun when I add a few jumps and obstacles.

I will start the riding slow thing again soon. I have done those exercises before and they definitely helped.

Having other more experienced riders around would help too. I'm really competitive and I ride better when others are pushing me.

A few months ago this run would have been a piece of cake. I lost my groove. I have ridden some gnarly single track but when it's flowing it helps a lot. Momentum is my friend.

I do have riding boots I just didn't think it was going to get that crazy. Still wore a helmet though ;)

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Edited by revelc, November 09, 2014 - 06:28 AM.

• stevethe

Posted November 09, 2014 - 07:16 AM

She does look a little hocus pocos on the restarts. I wouldn't do the Recluesles clutch just get used to feathering the clutch down the road you'll thank us. 

Edited by stevethe, November 09, 2014 - 07:19 AM.

• vlxjim

Posted November 09, 2014 - 10:53 AM

Ok I know that your newer but dam. After 3 WR's and some street time. You must of found out that the WR is not a light switch (you know on-off-on-off-on-crash). The throttle is your friend use it. Just not wide open. You need to see a doctor for that spastic hand syndrome you got going on.

Jokes a side take it slower learn one thing at a time. You have the space setup some small logs and work up. A small 8"-10" log you should be able to give the bike a light blip an use your weight that you should be shifting to help the bike get over. Learn to load the bike and use the gas to bring the rear around.  Good luck and have fun with it.

• revelc

Posted November 09, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Ok I know that your newer but dam. After 3 WR's and some street time. You must of found out that the WR is not a light switch (you know on-off-on-off-on-crash). The throttle is your friend use it. Just not wide open. You need to see a doctor for that spastic hand syndrome you got going on.
Jokes a side take it slower learn one thing at a time. You have the space setup some small logs and work up. A small 8"-10" log you should be able to give the bike a light blip an use your weight that you should be shifting to help the bike get over. Learn to load the bike and use the gas to bring the rear around. Good luck and have fun with it.

The WR250R was the dual sport bike. Not the higher strung WR250F.
I also only had the WR450F for a month before it was stolen with only a handful of rides on it. I just got the new one a few weeks ago.

I'm sure going up a tooth in the front didn't help either.

I hesitated on the first log in the ditch because its on a decline ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415561384.848087.jpg

I really surprised myself here ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415561531.429607.jpg there's a log about the same size with loose branches and I flew up it.

I have an 18" log in the pasture that I practice on. It's just been a while.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Edited by revelc, November 09, 2014 - 06:48 PM.

• AtomicGeo

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:51 PM

I think you are ready for Romanianics....  :devil:

• YamaLink

Posted November 10, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Good vid! And that 20 acres must be super nice.

• revelc

Posted December 09, 2014 - 04:49 AM

I got back out again after healing up. Still haven't changed that tire though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.