Easy way to adjust rear shock????

4 replies to this topic
  • RonO

Posted January 29, 2002 - 04:48 PM

Is there an easier way to adjust the rear shock? The manual says remove the rear frame. There gotta be an easier way. I need to add a little more sag.

'02 WR426 -- 1.5 hours on it so far :)
Soon to be street legal

• Rusty

Posted January 29, 2002 - 05:15 PM

I put mine on a stand so the back wheel was completely off the ground and tapped it around with a long punch and hammer. Probably not the best way to do it, but it worked o.k. and I won't have to adjust it again as long as I own it. That is unless I should happen to drop 20 or so lbs. Which is not too likely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted January 29, 2002 - 09:37 PM

I do as Rusty does, but I pull the coil first to give myself a little more room.

Having it on the stand makes all the difference, and a little lube on the spanner rings helps as well.

If not, you can remove the entire back end of the bike via the three bolts, the exhaust clamp and carb clamp. Leave everything else in tack.

• oldnbold

Posted January 30, 2002 - 03:36 AM

I used to do the hammer and punch method until I saw my buddy just grab the spring with two hands and turn! If the threads are clean and wd-40'd this method works like a champ.

Put the bike on the stand, loosen the jam nut with a hammer and punch and then grab the whole spring and turn. Gloves seem to help grip.

• skthom2320

Posted January 30, 2002 - 06:59 AM

Oldnbold is right - I use the "grab n' go" method as well. I found that you have to be careful with the WD-40 though. If you get any where you have to grab forget it. Try it without first.
I found that sometimes you have to push on the ring above the spring (not the lock ring) at the same time as turning the spring, especially if you are decreasing the sag. Otherwise the spring will turn but not the ring. If that is the case I use one hand on the spring and one hand pushing with a screwdriver or punch.

Steve T

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.