thinking of getting a wr450f

Yamaha WR450F Yamaha YZ450F Miscellaneous Off-Road Yamaha YZ250F Brand Yamaha

111 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted November 18, 2014 - 07:39 AM

It's not like that for most places in So. Cal. Those hills in JB are point and shoot. There's a lot more places where the hill climbs require finesse. Hill climb while picking your way through rocks and step-ups. :thumbsup:

Smart man KennyMC. The bottom of the hill in the picture is full of ruts and there is no run. The top is a twisted off camber loose rock section that you must gain the speed for or else it's difficult to even stand in without sliding and falling. A very difficult run for a 250 you would have to be a above average expert rider. But anything is possible as it's more technique and skills. It's very difficult to ride down it due to the ruts and off camber. 

Edited by stevethe, November 18, 2014 - 07:40 AM.

• GP1K

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:16 AM

TBH, I wish SoCal wasn't so damned far away, I'd love to try out some of your stomping grounds. The big huge hills... well like I've said, there really just isn't anything like that in WA. We ride in the mountains with a lot of steep hills, but they're all covered with trees and there is never just a straight(ish) line up, it's always winding and zig-zagging its way up. -But yeah, if I was going to enter a hill climb event, I sure wouldn't do it on my 250!

But some of the vids of single track in the rocks and canyons etc, well we have plenty of stuff like that, but add water & mud, logs/branches, leaves/pine needles etc.in addition to the rocks makes it a lot more technical IMO. I have no doubt my 250 would do just fine there.

Another theme I've heard from some of you SoCal guys... you often have a bit of a ride to get to where you ride, no? Like bombing across whooped out desert to get to the hills/trails? Nothing like that here either. When we ride out of our staging areas, we're on the single track pretty right away, and on it all day. We might hop out on a fire road to connect trails or limp a broken bike back, but that's about it. So again, the advantages of a 450 are lost on most of the trails around here.

• mc2626

Posted February 27, 2015 - 01:34 AM

Havent read through this in a while, kind of gave up on the whole thing and stuck with the yz

And although i probably could have started a new thread i thought ill keep all my info in one place.

Since i was last here i rode alot more and got used to the bike but the things just so damn cramped. I have bar raisers ( and vibration reducing bars ) and they helped with arms but messed up the feel a bit ( if ive mentioned all this before forgive me but i cant be bothered reading through all the arguments again haha) i looked into taller seats and lower footpegs and was advised against both. So my question is does any brand make a bike that isnt designed for the person 6 foot and under to ride and actually has some room. I dont need the talk about how some 7 foot tall pro can ride a bone stock bike without issue im talking about my current situation not someone elses.

Thanks in advance

Edited by mc2626, February 27, 2015 - 01:35 AM.

• stevethe

Posted February 27, 2015 - 05:42 AM

Havent read through this in a while, kind of gave up on the whole thing and stuck with the yz
And although i probably could have started a new thread i thought ill keep all my info in one place.
Since i was last here i rode alot more and got used to the bike but the things just so damn cramped. I have bar raisers ( and vibration reducing bars ) and they helped with arms but messed up the feel a bit ( if ive mentioned all this before forgive me but i cant be bothered reading through all the arguments again haha) i looked into taller seats and lower footpegs and was advised against both. So my question is does any brand make a bike that isnt designed for the person 6 foot and under to ride and actually has some room. I dont need the talk about how some 7 foot tall pro can ride a bone stock bike without issue im talking about my current situation not someone elses.
Thanks in advance

My buddy just bought a 07-11 WR450. He is 6'4" loves the bike.
I told him to try a taller seat but we do tough trails that sometimes the feet must be able to touch the ground easy so I guess that's why he hasent changed his.
For normal trails you have the higher bars just try the taller seat. Lower pegs might hit the ground so I would shy away from those.
Remember the more you ride the less arm pump.

• mc2626

Posted February 27, 2015 - 03:15 PM

Yep i will look into it and see if somone local ( Australia ) will do the seat for me, if not i will order from guts racing ( i think they are the best for the tall seats? )

Thanks for the reply

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 27, 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thanks in advance

A steering dampner and holding on less tight helps a lot.

Remember, you don't hold on the the bars, you hold on the the bike, with your Core muscles.

You can also stretch the tendons and muscles that cramp up, before and during the ride.

http://www.eatonhand.../ctexercise.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mc2626

Posted February 28, 2015 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Further question, someone further back in this thread recommended the 2015 KTM 450 XC-F

And although i dislike KTM it is possibly time i grow up and try something new haha.

So my question is, is the bike a proper enduro or is it just a mx engine thrown in the enduro bike. Wondering because i want a bike that is more reliable and doesnt have to be rebuilt every 50hrs if i do change from the super cheap 2 strokes

Only really interested in the ktm because they have the option of buying the 2tall racing kits

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 28, 2015 - 07:19 AM

IMHO

I have owned (3) recent KTM's (500 XCF-W, 450 SXF, 350 XCF-W) and (5) WR450F's.

Here is my evaluation of the difference:

KTM's (all):  feels light, is light, very small cockpit, very steep head angle, very soft power delivery (very) and merely adequate suspension even AFTER reworking. 2013 and later are very reliable.

These bikes require more rider input and concentration when going fast than any other bike I have ridden. The require LESS rider input when going slow. Much less, but only when crawling.

The strong feeling of 'yogurt-soft power and suspension' really hampers these bikes for agressive riders. (Dirt Bike magazine quote...)

WR's (pre-2012): feels heavy, is a little heavy, but not a deal breaker. Once uncorked, GREAT power quality, with tons more available, GREAT neutral handling at all speeds. Stock forks need work.

Fun fun fun, describes the WR handling. Rider input is not hyper critical like the KTM's when at speed. Very relaxing to ride fast or slow. Heavier feel on really tight vertical stuff.

Stone cold reliable. Probably the most reliable dirt bike every made.

WR's (2012+) : very similar to previous WR's, but slightly smaller cockpit (especially peg height from ground), MUCH BETTER EVERYTHING especially suspension.

Best suspension all around (but too soft stock)

Stock needs GYTR kit, period. Can't ignore this. Still very neutral handling at all speeds

Still the most reliable.

If weight, and the appearance of being adorned with high end parts is extremely important to you, (more important than robust power or neutral handling) then the KTM is the bike for you.

If you want to play MX, spin the rear wheel on command, steer endlessly with the front or rear wheel, actually ride FAST in rough terrain, then the WR is for you.

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, February 28, 2015 - 07:20 AM.

• bobpara

Posted March 05, 2015 - 12:46 PM

I agree with Ka Rah Nee.....I'm a bit confused

It almost sounds like you may want to go the other way

Put a WR motor into a YZ

Handlebar risers are the #1 way of opening up some room for a tall rider

If you ride as you should (80% of the time on the pegs) a tall rider does not have o reach down as far with risers

WAY more comfortable and proper feeling

• ubu

Posted March 06, 2015 - 10:44 AM

If you feel cramped on a YZ250, a KTM will be worse.

I'm 6'2 and feel comfortable on my YZ. Footpegs from an 08 YZ450 that are wider and a little bit lower, SDG tall seat, and Windam bend Pro Taper bars. That was just to make it more comfortable. It was fine stock.

When I ride a KTM, I feel like my knees are above the seat. I hate that. 

Thanks for the reply.

Further question, someone further back in this thread recommended the 2015 KTM 450 XC-F

And although i dislike KTM it is possibly time i grow up and try something new haha.

So my question is, is the bike a proper enduro or is it just a mx engine thrown in the enduro bike. Wondering because i want a bike that is more reliable and doesnt have to be rebuilt every 50hrs if i do change from the super cheap 2 strokes

Only really interested in the ktm because they have the option of buying the 2tall racing kits

• Chaconne

Posted March 06, 2015 - 05:56 PM

IMHO

I have owned (3) recent KTM's (500 XCF-W, 450 SXF, 350 XCF-W) and (5) WR450F's.

Here is my evaluation of the difference:

KTM's (all):  feels light, is light, very small cockpit, very steep head angle, very soft power delivery (very) and merely adequate suspension even AFTER reworking. 2013 and later are very reliable.

These bikes require more rider input and concentration when going fast than any other bike I have ridden. The require LESS rider input when going slow. Much less, but only when crawling.

The strong feeling of 'yogurt-soft power and suspension' really hampers these bikes for agressive riders. (Dirt Bike magazine quote...)

WR's (pre-2012): feels heavy, is a little heavy, but not a deal breaker. Once uncorked, GREAT power quality, with tons more available, GREAT neutral handling at all speeds. Stock forks need work.

Fun fun fun, describes the WR handling. Rider input is not hyper critical like the KTM's when at speed. Very relaxing to ride fast or slow. Heavier feel on really tight vertical stuff.

Stone cold reliable. Probably the most reliable dirt bike every made.

WR's (2012+) : very similar to previous WR's, but slightly smaller cockpit (especially peg height from ground), MUCH BETTER EVERYTHING especially suspension.

Best suspension all around (but too soft stock)

Stock needs GYTR kit, period. Can't ignore this. Still very neutral handling at all speeds

Still the most reliable.

If weight, and the appearance of being adorned with high end parts is extremely important to you, (more important than robust power or neutral handling) then the KTM is the bike for you.

If you want to play MX, spin the rear wheel on command, steer endlessly with the front or rear wheel, actually ride FAST in rough terrain, then the WR is for you.

Agree with all except, second most reliable dirt bike ever made after xr400... :ride:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 06, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Agree with all except, second most reliable dirt bike ever made after xr400... :ride:

I'd agree with that.....but would never own one.....!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.