thinking of getting a wr450f

Yamaha WR450F Yamaha YZ450F Miscellaneous Off-Road Yamaha YZ250F Brand Yamaha

111 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:24 PM

TBH, as much as love my 500 already, for a desert whoop basher, you'd probably be happier on your linkage WR than a PDS 500 for that kind of riding.

Did you think about getting the Husky FE 501S?  It comes with linkage in the rear and the 4CS forks.

• stevethe

Posted November 14, 2014 - 07:01 AM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the 250- 450 battle is low end torque. In some of the tough stuff we come across a modern 250 might be a bit lacking. Some of it is real slick steep and some off camber uphill single track that gets you in need of instant power and torque from idle. That would be slipping the clutch to get to your power but not to slip the rear tire too much and slide out. You need a bike with off idle torque power it cannot be peaky power.

One of the 250's that did well at that was my XR250 however it is a built 300cc bike. Loads of flywheel and set up for bottom to mid end. I think a stock YZ250f would be a serious challenge in some of areas I know in So.Cal.

• GP1K

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:31 AM

Did you think about getting the Husky FE 501S?  It comes with linkage in the rear and the 4CS forks.

No not really. Husky dealers are kinda scarce around here, but there's a couple KTM dealers close to me. Plus I've ridden a buddy's 500 EXC and loved it and wanted one ever since. That and I like the PDS, I don't ride any high speed desert/big whoops type of terrain. It works great on trails in the mountains etc.

• KennyMc

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:58 AM

No not really. Husky dealers are kinda scarce around here, but there's a couple KTM dealers close to me. Plus I've ridden a buddy's 500 EXC and loved it and wanted one ever since. That and I like the PDS, I don't ride any high speed desert/big whoops type of terrain. It works great on trails in the mountains etc.

Makes sense :thumbsup:

• GP1K

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:01 AM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the 250- 450 battle is low end torque. In some of the tough stuff we come across a modern 250 might be a bit lacking. Some of it is real slick steep and some off camber uphill single track that gets you in need of instant power and torque from idle. That would be slipping the clutch to get to your power but not to slip the rear tire too much and slide out. You need a bike with off idle torque power it cannot be peaky power.

One of the 250's that did well at that was my XR250 however it is a built 300cc bike. Loads of flywheel and set up for bottom to mid end. I think a stock YZ250f would be a serious challenge in some of areas I know in So.Cal.

Well that is a bit of give and take. In some slick loose terrain, my 250 hooks up and pushes forward where my 450 would roost and spin. I ride plenty of off-camber uphill single track and don't have a problem on my 250, and I'm no featherweight. In some of the tighter technical terrain we ride, all that power of 450 more of a liability than an asset. You have to manage it or you'll just roost/wheelie or launch yourself off the trail.

While I agree a stock YZ250F would not be a good choice, my XCF-W is no YZF, it has way more low end torque. It certainly doesn't have the off-idle torque of a 450, but it's not as lacking as some seem to think it is. I can chug it way down in 2nd and 3rd on trails if I want to. It doesn't have that instant loft the front ability like that, but it doesn't spin or wheelie either, it just hooks up and goes. Get it up just a little bit into the midrange, and the front stays very light and you can loft with ease. Just takes a little body English vs a flick of the wrist on a 450.

I'd rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. My name is not Josh Strang of Paul Whibley, so I can't come close to using a 450 in the woods. But I can my 250. And IMO its a lot more fun making that 250 sing than short-shifting a 450 around.

Or put it this way... there are plenty of guys that ride 250Fs at Erzberg, Romaniacs and other extreme enduros. Sorry, but there is nothing in SoCal that holds a candle to Erzberg or other extreme enduros like that. So tell me again how a 250 can't hang? It's the rider, not the bike. :ride:

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Oh and I sold my WR and got a 500 EXC instead, way better bike (for me).  Everybody wins.

How ironic that Mr. Know Everything about dirt bikes and Mr. "I ride better than you on a CRF 230 with bald tires" and Mr. "the bike doesn't matter, its the rider", is now on his 3rd bike. 

The only person that won here is your dealer.  What did it cost to trade ?  $4,000 ?

If you can ride anything and everything, why did you need the other 2 bikes ?  

Was the WR450F too much for you ?  You talk all about detuning a YZ450F, why didn't you tune or detune your WR ?  

Was your WR too heavy ?   Weren't you the guy saying that weight didn't matter, it was all about the rider ?  Weren't you the guy that said 25 pounds, the difference between your 250F and your WR450F, couldn't even be felt ?

This thread is dripping with irony.  So much talk and BS on these forums and so little follow through in real life.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 14, 2014 - 09:18 AM.

• DRS

Posted November 14, 2014 - 09:55 AM

This thread is dripping with irony.  So much talk and BS on these forums and so little follow through in real life.

says that guy that bought his first bike a year ago...   LOL

• GP1K

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:04 AM

How ironic that Mr. Know Everything about dirt bikes and Mr. "I ride better than you on a CRF 230 with bald tires" and Mr. "the bike doesn't matter, its the rider", is now on his 3rd bike. 

The only person that won here is your dealer.  What did it cost to trade ?  $4,000 ?

Was the WR450F too much for you ?  You talk all about detuning a YZ450F, why didn't you tune or detune your WR ?  

Was your WR too heavy ?   Weren't you the guy saying that weight didn't matter, it was all about the rider ?  Weren't you the guy that said 25 pounds, the difference between your 250F and your WR450F, couldn't even be felt ?

Yes unlike you, I realized I bought the wrong bike. So rather than spend a bunch of time and money and hack it all to bits trying to make it into something it's not and never will be, I cut my losses and got a far better bike for me, where I ride.

And yeah, I'm sure I can ride a CRF230 with bald tires better than you. :p

No, didn't say any of those things. You have a bad habit of putting words in my mouth or twisting what I said to try to fit your sad narrative. Stop doing that, it only makes you look foolish and desperate. Or go quote me where I've said any of that. Go on, I'll wait.

Of course weight matters. A lighter bike is far easier to handle in tight technical terrain, no doubt about it. And now I have that. You butchered a perfectly good bike on a fool's errand.

The only here irony is all on you. You talk the biggest BS on these forums by far, with zero follow through. Weighed your bike yet? :rolleyes:

• joey330

Posted November 17, 2014 - 05:44 AM

The only person that won here is your dealer. What did it cost to trade ? $4,000 ?

Was the WR450F too much for you ? You talk all about detuning a YZ450F, why didn't you tune or detune your WR ?

Was your WR too heavy ? Weren't you the guy saying that weight didn't matter, it was all about the rider ? Weren't you the guy that said 25 pounds, the difference between your 250F and your WR450F, couldn't even be felt ?

This thread is dripping with irony. So much talk and BS on these forums and so little follow through in real life.

Yes unlike you, I realized I bought the wrong bike. So rather than spend a bunch of time and money and hack it all to bits trying to make it into something it's not and never will be, I cut my losses and got a far better bike for me, where I ride.

And yeah, I'm sure I can ride a CRF230 with bald tires better than you. :p

No, didn't say any of those things. You have a bad habit of putting words in my mouth or twisting what I said to try to fit your sad narrative. Stop doing that, it only makes you look foolish and desperate. Or go quote me where I've said any of that. Go on, I'll wait.

Of course weight matters. A lighter bike is far easier to handle in tight technical terrain, no doubt about it. And now I have that. You butchered a perfectly good bike on a fool's errand.

The only here irony is all on you. You talk the biggest BS on these forums by far, with zero follow through. Weighed your bike yet? :rolleyes:

This isn't a who's dick is bigger match is it?

A 250 450 battle? Really? Both bikes have a place, I guarantee you, you can not use the power of a 250 in tight technical woods to its peak. The 450 is its own breed, really not much of a woods bike In my opinion, can be ridden yes, but no matter what, it's heavy. The bikes have two different places, a 450 will have better performance in the wide open areas, a 250 is easier to wrestle through things.

Everyone needs to stop fighting, and get a Ktm 200 xc :)

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1416231850.885244.jpg

• beezer

Posted November 17, 2014 - 05:48 AM

When I know I'm going into some nasty stuff I always take my 250.  It hooks up instead of spinning the back wheel.

My 450 spins the back tire easier.  The 250 is just easier to ride and more fun.

When the terrain opens up the 450 is the bike to be on.

It's great for the dual sports events.

A golfer has more than one golf club.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted November 17, 2014 - 05:54 AM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1416231850.885244.jpg

Are you riding in work boots?

• stevethe

Posted November 17, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Well for those of you that don't know So. Cal. it would only take one trip. We could try hooking up traction with your 250's on the wagon trail. Um if you could get toward the top, the right hand turn off camber where the picture ends should be the end. The least anyone in our group anyone has attempted is a KTM 300 with varied results. The picture is of one of our at least what I call trails in Jawbone canyon. I'll be there all week for Thanksgiving.  :ride:   Oh and make sure you have a brand new knobby or a IRC M5b or better.Wagon_zpse28e71df.jpg

Edited by stevethe, November 17, 2014 - 06:32 AM.

• joey330

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Yep. I have a bunch of property and am cutting single track, sure as hell not walking for 8 hours in Mx boots. So when I cut a section, I'd go past it, try and kick some leaves up, and continue.

Well for those of you that don't know So. Cal. it would only take one trip. We could try hooking up traction with your 250's on the wagon trail. Um if you could get toward the top, the right hand turn off camber where the picture ends should be the end. The least anyone in our group anyone has attempted is a KTM 300 with varied results. The picture is of one of our at least what I call trails in Jawbone canyon. I'll be there all week for Thanksgiving. :ride: Oh and make sure you have a brand new knobby or a IRC M5b or better.Wagon_zpse28e71df.jpg

I wish I lived out that way, over here we have stuff like that, I have made it up on my Ktm 200, I have 450 and a 250 but my 200 goes anywhere

• joey330

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:05 AM

Not sure how you could tell :o
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1416236738.851470.jpg

• offrd beatr

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:42 PM

M5B or better?? Don't think it gets any better when it comes to incredibly high amounts of traction.

• stevethe

Posted November 17, 2014 - 05:29 PM

M5B or better?? Don't think it gets any better when it comes to incredibly high amounts of traction.

Your right.  We used to run Terraflex tires, however there nick name ends up Terrible flex when they get worn.

• stevethe

Posted November 17, 2014 - 05:32 PM

This is a quote of the last guy about a month ago that brought a 250 squirt gun to a 450 missile shoot:

"Yo snake. Thx again for raping me and my 250 out in the des today. Next time ill bring a gs1200 and school you bitches!!!"

• GP1K

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:54 PM

I guess I'm just glad to live/ride somewhere where rider skill is far more important than the bike/power. There's nowhere around here where a 250F would ever be a limiting factor, but a 450 can definitely be a liability in all but the most skilled hands.

• beezer

Posted November 18, 2014 - 06:16 AM

Well for those of you that don't know So. Cal. it would only take one trip. We could try hooking up traction with your 250's on the wagon trail. Um if you could get toward the top, the right hand turn off camber where the picture ends should be the end. The least anyone in our group anyone has attempted is a KTM 300 with varied results. The picture is of one of our at least what I call trails in Jawbone canyon. I'll be there all week for Thanksgiving.  :ride:   Oh and make sure you have a brand new knobby or a IRC M5b or better.Wagon_zpse28e71df.jpg

That's quite a hill.

• KennyMc

Posted November 18, 2014 - 06:40 AM

I guess I'm just glad to live/ride somewhere where rider skill is far more important than the bike/power. There's nowhere around here where a 250F would ever be a limiting factor, but a 450 can definitely be a liability in all but the most skilled hands.

It's not like that for most places in So. Cal. Those hills in JB are point and shoot. There's a lot more places where the hill climbs require finesse. Hill climb while picking your way through rocks and step-ups. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.