thinking of getting a wr450f

Yamaha WR450F Yamaha YZ450F Miscellaneous Off-Road Yamaha YZ250F Brand Yamaha

111 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2014 - 01:09 PM

OP: good luck with your choice.

Happy trails (or roads) to the rest of you.

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 01:31 PM

Race courses aren't single track ! Single track is un maintained trail. Raw. Not carved out by 100 bikes. Not prepped by a race committee. Not flagged.

I knew you didn't get it.

Again, you point out how clueless you are. Johnson Valley is a "open area" which allows the race clubs free rain to put the course anywhere they seem fit. They can ribbon the course down a rocky mess of a mtn that has never been ridden. The racers get to create there own line down. After the race we now have a new single track. Again, utterly clueless :facepalm:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415223032.765574.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415223077.149113.jpg

• DRS

Posted November 05, 2014 - 02:28 PM

OP: good luck with your choice.

Happy trails (or roads) to the rest of you.

what do you know? you have owned one dirtbike your entire life, the wr450 you bought a year ago.  you have no business giving out advice on anything dirtbike related, you're a fraud...  own it.

• mc2626

Posted November 05, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the replies (some deserve it more than others)

I'm just sick of constantly rebuilding my yz250 ( 2 stroke for clarification )
So I wanted to know what the possibility of having an enduro converted to a mx was so I had the reliable engine and less maintainence. But as I have read maybe I should look at other options

• GP1K

Posted November 05, 2014 - 03:48 PM

So I wanted to know what the possibility of having an enduro converted to a mx was so I had the reliable engine and less maintainence. But as I have read maybe I should look at other options

You want this: KTM 450 XC-F its an off road race bike that can do MX as well.

http://www.ktm.com/u...ml#.VFq3C8nRZ1U

• GP1K

Posted November 05, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Sorry, but that is childs play compared to riding where there is zero traction.   Ever ride on ice ?  Ever ride in snow that covers the logs so you don't see them before you hit them ?  How about climbs where you turn every 20 feet and can't see the terrain around the turn or you have to slow to 1 MPH to get through the trees that are 1" wider than your bars ?

You wouldn't criticize my 12/51 gearing if you rode with me.

Yeah I would, as I guarantee I can get up anything you can, with stock gearing. It's called the clutch, you should really try using it sometime, instead of just gearing your bike like a tractor so you don't have to.

• mc2626

Posted November 05, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hmmmm.... I've never thought about a KTM, downside is it sounds like there is no option for a kickstart, and personally I don't really like the look of them. I might head down to the local shop and have a look at one anyway though

Thanks for the suggestion

• Chaconne

Posted November 05, 2014 - 04:57 PM

I don't think that is a better choice than the yz450 with a few minor mods for the OP unless electric start is the issue.

• vlxjim

Posted November 05, 2014 - 05:24 PM

Don't flame my BUT! For the MX Honda's are a lot of fun and the KX450 in real nice if you like green. Just sayin. But the new YZ's are state of the art. I wish they had a green sticker.

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 05:24 PM

I don't think that is a better choice than the yz450 with a few minor mods for the OP unless electric start is the issue.

I agree.  Much easier to mellow the YZ450 and if they are as maintenance friendly as the WR is, that is just another candle on the cake.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • letitsnow

Posted November 05, 2014 - 06:31 PM

How often are you rebuilding the YZ?  

The YZ250 2 stroke is one of the most reliable bikes ever built - I'd much rather ride one of those on an mx track than my WR450...

• mc2626

Posted November 05, 2014 - 08:59 PM

How often are you rebuilding the YZ?

The YZ250 2 stroke is one of the most reliable bikes ever built - I'd much rather ride one of those on an mx track than my WR450...

Well, to be honest I really don't have to rebuild it that often, I have just never felt comfortable on the bike so I was looking at alternatives that required no maintainence while being more comfortable haha.

But now that I think on it maybe I should just keep the yz and get the suspension set up for me. I just had it setup as I bought it, which was for the guy before me and he was was half my size and all I did was make it a bit stiffer with the clickers. Also because I can only get 3 laps in on the local mx track before my arm pump gets too bad and I start whiskey throttling everywhere. I just can't get the hang of the vibrations.

Do you guys reckon that's a better idea then, and also any ideas on what to do to eradicate vibrations

Thanks in advance

Edited by mc2626, November 05, 2014 - 09:01 PM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:15 PM

I got a YZ250 to go along with my WR450 back in June, and found that I do everything better on the YZ and don't get tired nearly as quickly on it (desert harescrambles, dunes, and trails).  I absolutely love the 2 stroke and will probably keep it for a very long time.  The previous owner, who is someone I know, had the suspension revalved and I resprung it for my weight and set the fork oil where I wanted it.  I do everything better on that bike, but in turn, have become better on my WR450 as well.  Biggest reason for that?  Because I have been riding a ton this year - every chance I get.  And the more I ride, the less tired I get in a race or when I'm pushing it, and less things like vibration bother me (although I still struggle with my left hand falling asleep from a carpal tunnel issue...).  It's all in your conditioning.  So I would say...go burn some pre-mix!  Ride, and keep riding.  If you're on that YZ250 and its set up for you, there's really not much you can't do or keep up with.  It is really a great bike.

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:19 PM

And one other thing - I'd take 2 stroke maintenance over 4 stroke maintenance any day!  Yeah, the 2 stroke maintenance intervals might be a lot shorter, but it's tough to argue against the simplicity of it.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other - two great options depending on what you want to do and what you're willing to spend/do to set them up.

• mc2626

Posted November 05, 2014 - 10:29 PM

And one other thing - I'd take 2 stroke maintenance over 4 stroke maintenance any day!  Yeah, the 2 stroke maintenance intervals might be a lot shorter, but it's tough to argue against the simplicity of it.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other - two great options depending on what you want to do and what you're willing to spend/do to set them up.

Thanks for your thoughts on it. I certainly love the twostroke power and I guess I can tolerate the maintainence. I just feel that it is pulling away from me through whoops, not power wise but almost like pulling down and to the right or left. I'm starting to think it has to be my suspension not being setup so i guess I will ask the local shop about getting it set up and at what price. I've heard about fasst flexx and twisted engineering bars for vibration but I think that's stretching the price range a bit

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 06, 2014 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on it. I certainly love the twostroke power and I guess I can tolerate the maintainence. I just feel that it is pulling away from me through whoops, not power wise but almost like pulling down and to the right or left. I'm starting to think it has to be my suspension not being setup so i guess I will ask the local shop about getting it set up and at what price. I've heard about fasst flexx and twisted engineering bars for vibration but I think that's stretching the price range a bit

I personally have not been super impressed with the Flexx bars. I know they get five stars on every review and a lot of people use terms like "I'll never ride a dirt bike with out them again." I have them on my WR and they haven't really made any noticeable benefits for me. For whatever it's worth - not much - I also noticed very few, if any riders run them in the HS series I'm a part of. Then I go back to the YZ, riding the same stuff and with its even better suspension (the WR's is still good), I still have the left hand issues from time to time and don't really notice any difference in shock absorption. I've found it's all in your riding conditioning and your suspension, in that order.

• mc2626

Posted November 06, 2014 - 06:23 AM

I personally have not been super impressed with the Flexx bars. I know they get five stars on every review and a lot of people use terms like "I'll never ride a dirt bike with out them again." I have them on my WR and they haven't really made any noticeable benefits for me. For whatever it's worth - not much - I also noticed very few, if any riders run them in the HS series I'm a part of. Then I go back to the YZ, riding the same stuff and with its even better suspension (the WR's is still good), I still have the left hand issues from time to time and don't really notice any difference in shock absorption. I've found it's all in your riding conditioning and your suspension, in that order.

Yes there is the odd review floating around that pretty much has the same view on the fasst flexx bars as you do, maybe people just like to trick themselves into believing the $450 was worth it. I'm going to give what I need to do to my bike some thought this weekend when I go riding, focus on what's not feeling good, then I guess I can work it out one issue at a time. I seriously can't stop going front wheel high over jumps though, I just can't seem to work out what I'm doing wrong

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 06, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Yes there is the odd review floating around that pretty much has the same view on the fasst flexx bars as you do, maybe people just like to trick themselves into believing the $450 was worth it. I'm going to give what I need to do to my bike some thought this weekend when I go riding, focus on what's not feeling good, then I guess I can work it out one issue at a time. I seriously can't stop going front wheel high over jumps though, I just can't seem to work out what I'm doing wrong

Make sure your race sag is set right (somewhere in the 95-105 mm range) and try taking a couple clicks of shock rebound out (turn clicker left) to speed up your rear a little off the jump. Not too much - a little nose high is good I think because a brake tap is way preferable to a panic rev to get the nose back up. Also keep a standing forward body position off the jump. If you're in the correct sag range, you can also try decreasing it (increasing preload) a couple mm at a time and see what that does for you. The time spent in trial and error will be more than worth it when you nail your settings and don't have to touch it again except for a couple of clicks here and there for the conditions that day. BTW, I'm no pro - these are just the exact issues I've dealt with and solved with some patient tuning.

• beezer

Posted November 06, 2014 - 08:53 AM

I had a YZ250 for a while and just never liked it so I sold it.

I like my WR450 much better.

• GP1K

Posted November 06, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hmmmm.... I've never thought about a KTM, downside is it sounds like there is no option for a kickstart, and personally I don't really like the look of them. I might head down to the local shop and have a look at one anyway though

Thanks for the suggestion

Yeah no kicker for backup is kind of a turn off. A 450 XC-W has both, but it's a PDS bike and for MX you probably wouldn't be happy with it.

Going back to the YZF450, you can tame that power with the FI tuner, so that's stil an option. Or sit tight and see if Yamaha makes a YZF450FX like the 250, as that would be pretty much exactly what you're looking for.. e-start woods racer that can still moto.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.