thinking of getting a wr450f

Yamaha WR450F Yamaha YZ450F Miscellaneous Off-Road Yamaha YZ250F Brand Yamaha

111 replies to this topic
  • mc2626

Posted November 04, 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi,

First new thread so please be tolerant if I made this in the wrong section

I currently have a '06 yz250 but I don't like the maintainence and I cant seem to get my balance on it, probably having something to do with that I feel to tall for the bike ( I'm around 6ft 2)

And I was thinking of changing to a 2015 wr450. Now I mainly ride at mx tracks ( not competitively) and do a little bit of enduro here and there. Now the things I will probably need to change are the exhaust, for performance, and do something for the suspension ( I'm around 115kg with gear ) any ideas as far as what to do for suspension, I've never looked into it before.

So what else would I have to change to make it more of a mx bike? I would want to remove the battery and all the lights ( will a stock yz450f front race plate fit in place of the light?) but I can't find any information on how to easily remove it all.

I pretty much want to end up with a mx bike with an enduro engine.

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated

Thanks,
Mc

Edited by mc2626, November 05, 2014 - 12:25 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 05, 2014 - 05:14 AM

Are talking YZ250 or 250F?

Not sure what you mean by ' I don't like the maintenece' ; mixing oil maybe?

What do you mean ' an mx bike with an enduro engine'?   Do you mean softer power?  Wider gears ratios? (you do not want that for mx).

If you are going to pull off the battery and lights, why not buy a YZ to begin with. Is it the estart?

Your questions are very confusing.

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 06:37 AM

It's not the e-start, he wants to pull the battery.

Why not start out with a YZ450 and mellow it out with a heavier flywheel and some mapping changes?

• YamaLink

Posted November 05, 2014 - 07:11 AM

Many threads on this topic and it seems to be either an expensive or never-ending project. At 115kg you defnitely need much heavier springs to achieve proper sag and balanced handling.

I have a YZ250 two and four stroke and a WR450. I could not even come close to making the 450 a hybrid bike that you speak of without spending a ton of money and still dealing with its short comings specifically weight.

Not to hijack your own thread but have you considered a KTM offering?

• vlxjim

Posted November 05, 2014 - 07:31 AM

Sounds like you ride the YZ250 2 stroke? But I'm sorry to say if your coming off that and like MX you should be looking at the YZ450. I love the WR but its not a track bike. WR stands for wide ratio trans. Not good for the track. There is to much to do to get it to be fun on the track. The last thing you want to have is a bike that your fighting with the whole time. Not sure about down under but here in the states most enduro racers are on YZ's if there on a Yamaha's. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2014 - 07:33 AM

Many threads on this topic and it seems to be either an expensive or never-ending project. At 115kg you defnitely need much heavier springs to achieve proper sag and balanced handling.

I have a YZ250 two and four stroke and a WR450. I could not even come close to making the 450 a hybrid bike that you speak of without spending a ton of money and still dealing with its short comings specifically weight.

Not to hijack your own thread but have you considered a KTM offering?

Its very easy to lop 20+ pounds off a WR450F by removing the starter, battery, kickstand and a bunch of other stuff that Yamaha has plastered onto it.  I started a post on this very thread.  Unfortunately a bunch of idiots messed it up, so I stopped posting in it. 

As far as suspension goes, the forks are standard SSS.   So do to them what you would do to any Yamaha SSS fork.

In the rear, the 2012+ WR shock has a 10mm shorter shock shaft, a smaller comp adjuster piston and the linkage is tuned for trail riding, not MX.   I bought a used YZ shock and linkage on eBay for $160 and rebuilt and revalved the shock myself.   I have a thread for that in the suspension forum.  

I also installed an 08 YZ exhaust cam.

These mods dramatically improve the WR.  Stock its a good play bike.  Its an awesome base to start building a focused bike because its got all the right pieces (engine, frame, suspension) and Yamaha parts are very readily available and bolt right on for the most part.  I'd go for it.   Unless you want a YZ specifically, you won't be sorry.

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Its very easy to lop 20+ pounds off a WR450F by removing the starter, battery, kickstand and a bunch of other stuff that Yamaha has plastered onto it. I started a post on this very thread. Unfortunately a bunch of idiots messed it up, so I stopped posting in it.

As far as suspension goes, the forks are standard SSS. So do to them what you would do to any Yamaha SSS fork.

In the rear, the 2012+ WR shock has a 10mm shorter shock shaft, a smaller comp adjuster piston and the linkage is tuned for trail riding, not MX. I bought a used YZ shock and linkage on eBay for $160 and rebuilt and revalved the shock myself. I have a thread for that in the suspension forum.

I also installed an 08 YZ exhaust cam.

These mods dramatically improve the WR. Stock its a good play bike. Its an awesome base to start building a focused bike because its got all the right pieces (engine, frame, suspension) and Yamaha parts are very readily available and bolt right on for the most part. I'd go for it. Unless you want a YZ specifically, you won't be sorry.

So, now your mods would make the WR into a good MX bike as well.

You are hopelessly clueless. :facepalm:

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:09 AM

So, now your mods would make the WR into a good MX bike as well.

You are hopelessly clueless. :facepalm:

YZ250F frame + Yamaha suspension + older YZ450F engine = good all round bike.  With some mods, turn it into anything you want.  SM, DS, woods, desert and hobby MX bike.  

OP already stated that he doesn't want a YZ.  A modded WR is the next best thing.  Drop 20+ pounds, tune the engine and tweak the suspension.  Its not that difficult.

I've never seen so many people so opposed to moding something in all my life.   A stock bike is a starting point, nothing more.  If you want to ride a stock bike, great.   But I can't help but notice that the only place you and some others on this forum are riding your stock bike is on roads.   Ironically, the WR450F was never designed to be a DS bike.  In stock form its a heavy trail bike.   If you like that, great.  But some of us want to use WRs for other uses and we mod them.  Get over it.  Or at the very least, stop criticizing people who actually do something with their bike.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 05, 2014 - 09:10 AM.

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:24 AM

YZ250F frame + Yamaha suspension + older YZ450F engine = good all round bike.  With some mods, turn it into anything you want.  SM, DS, woods, desert and hobby MX bike.  

OP already stated that he doesn't want a YZ.  A modded WR is the next best thing.  Drop 20+ pounds, tune the engine and tweak the suspension.  Its not that difficult.

I've never seen so many people so opposed to moding something in all my life.   A stock bike is a starting point, nothing more.  If you want to ride a stock bike, great.   But I can't help but notice that the only place you and some others on this forum are riding your stock bike is on roads.   Ironically, the WR450F was never designed to be a DS bike.  In stock form its a heavy trail bike.   If you like that, great.  But some of us want to use WRs for other uses and we mod them.  Get over it.  Or at the very least, stop criticizing people who actually do something with their bike.

You have a reading comprehension issue (amongst others).  He did not state that he does not want a YZ450.

I have no problem with modding bikes.  You really don't seem to be able to pull yourself away from your specific bike and take a look at this objectively.  It would really seem to make more sense to start off with the MX platform bike and make the adjustments to it, personnel diffences aside, wouldn't you agree.  I am not saying it can't be done, but again, objectively, it seems like it would make more sense. :thumbsup:

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:28 AM

If you want to ride a stock bike, great.   But I can't help but notice that the only place you and some others on this forum are riding your stock bike is on roads.   Ironically, the WR450F was never designed to be a DS bike.  In stock form its a heavy trail bike.   If you like that, great.  But some of us want to use WRs for other uses and we mod them.  Get over it.  Or at the very least, stop criticizing people who actually do something with their bike.

You have got to be kidding, that is the funniest statement I have read on here in a long time.  I am sorry, I was trying to be civil but you are a complete &%$#@!.  Have you seen the videos of my riding?  I &%$#@!ing guarantee you I ride more technical trails then you.  By a looooooong shot :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:28 AM

You have a reading comprehension issue (amongst others).  He did not state that he does not want a YZ450.

I have no problem with modding bikes.  You really don't seem to be able to pull yourself away from your specific bike and take a look at this objectively.  It would really seem to make more sense to start off with the MX platform bike and make the adjustments to it, personnel diffences aside, wouldn't you agree.  I am not saying it can't be done, but again, objectively, it seems like it would make more sense. :thumbsup:

Which is why I ended my advice to him with

Unless you want a YZ specifically, you won't be sorry.

Some people want a wide range transmission and a tamer engine.  They don't want a YZ.  A WR suits them better.  If that is the case, my advice applies.

I spoke about my bike because it has most of the stuff he is going to need to do.  Weight reduction, suspension and maybe engine mods.  Are there any other examples on this forum that he could use as a guide ?

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Which is why I ended my advice to him with

Some people want a wide range transmission and a tamer engine.  They don't want a YZ.  A WR suits them better.  If that is the case, my advice applies.

I spoke about my bike because it has most of the stuff he is going to need to do.  Weight reduction, suspension and maybe engine mods.  Are there any other examples on this forum that he could use as a guide ?

But that wide range transmission will not give the OP the best solution on an MX track.  The lighter flywheel will tame the engine and a gearing change can address the trany.  Some simple changes to a good MX platform bike. :thumbsup:

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:37 AM

You have got to be kidding, that is the funniest statement I have read on here in a long time.  I am sorry, I was trying to be civil but you are a complete &%$#@!.  Have you seen the videos of my riding?  I &%$#@!ing guarantee you I ride more technical trails then you.  By a looooooong shot :facepalm:  :facepalm:

IMG_436893770-5.JPG

Yesterday, Tuesday, November 4th.  Several inches of snow in the area on the weekend that has since fully melted in the sun exposed areas and ran into the valleys or not melted at all in the trees.  25 miles of ice, mud, snow and melted snow on tight un maintained single track with several long climbs and more slippery, snotty logs than I care to remember.  5,000 feet of elevation gain/loss.

When the ground freezes I'll swap on the studded tires and tackle it again.

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:43 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_436893770-5.JPG

Yesterday, Tuesday, November 4th.  Several inches of snow in the area on the weekend that has since fully melted in the sun exposed areas and ran into the valleys or not melted at all in the trees.  25 miles of ice, mud, snow and melted snow on tight un maintained single track with several long climbs and more slippery, snotty logs than I care to remember.  5,000 feet of elevation gain/loss.

When the ground freezes I'll swap on the studded tires and tackle it again.

:thumbsup:   I would like to see the technical trails you talk about though.  Single track isn't technical in and of itself.  They are just the best trails to ride :ride:

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:43 AM

But that wide range transmission will not give the OP the best solution on an MX track. 

So ?  OP understands a WR has a Wide Ratio transmission.  Doesn't sound like he is racing.  Maybe he wants it for some other reason.  Lets not forget that a prominent magazine did a (really poor) attempt at turning a WR into an MX bike.  Its not optimal, of course, but it can be done and ... it might be fun !

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Oopsie

Edited by KennyMc, November 05, 2014 - 09:48 AM.

• KennyMc

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:47 AM

but it can be done and ... it might be fun !

Agreed, it can be done.  We are just approaching it from a different angle :thumbsup:

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Sorry, but that is childs play compared to riding where there is zero traction.   Ever ride on ice ?  Ever ride in snow that covers the logs so you don't see them before you hit them ?  How about climbs where you turn every 20 feet and can't see the terrain around the turn or you have to slow to 1 MPH to get through the trees that are 1" wider than your bars ?

You wouldn't criticize my 12/51 gearing if you rode with me.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 05, 2014 - 09:50 AM.

• YHGEORGE

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Sorry mc2626, some of these children just can't help themselves.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2014 - 09:54 AM

BTW, my WR rocked on that ride.  I was amazed at the traction it had.  That KTM 200XC was slipping all over the place.  My WR was hooking up really well.  Not sure if it was the YZ linkage or the shock revalve or the knobby knifed IRC M5B, but it worked.

I'm the only one in our group left riding a 4T.  The other guys are beginning to see why I ride one.  Its telling when I'm at the top of the hill waiting and they are revving and clutching trying to make it up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Off-Road

2017 King of the Motos by StretchASU

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

If not a YZ, then what...? by rpt50

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

Just bought 2010 YZ250f Shopping for woods? by Floyd A

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Off-Road

Teams Prepping for 2017 Dakar by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.