1999 yz400f questions.

No replies to this topic
  • Tubs26

Posted November 02, 2014 - 01:12 PM

so i just picked up a 99 yz400, rode it once, checked valve clearances and adjusted them, went out and rode and something seems kinda weird, maybe someone can help. i know what i think it is but i just wanna make sure

so my use for it and the previous use for it has been trail riding, the previous owner had fit a bigger back sprocket, and a smaller front sprocket, me personally i think it has too much torque for its own good, he had also fit a skinny tire on the back. anyways when i got off road i just dont get anywhere. i went through my little backyard track and i have pine needles down and the second my tire touches them its completely useless, i just sit there, no matter how little or how much gas i give it. it does the same on grass and dirt, ill just be riding over it no throttle changes at all! and the back tire just spins...if i increase the rear tire size and put the sprockets back in order (it has 52r 13f now, so like 48r 14f?) would it help any? it also affects when im about to go off a jump, ill give it a little gas and the front end goes down because the back end looses its hold on keeping the front up, causing it to nose dive, then when i look at the take off ramp there a deep rut caused by the last jump.

just getting frustrated, and i know this bike is not intended for the woods or trail riding, but some of us believe mx bikes do better in the woods. at this point i dont know anymore lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.