Cycra skidplate opinions

31 replies to this topic
  • yzUSMCf

Posted November 02, 2014 - 11:08 AM

Looking at the cycra full coverage skidplate for my 14' yz450f . I like how much it covers the engine my only gripe is that it's plastic and I'm not sure how that will hold up in the desert and the rocks. I could get an aluminum enduro engineering skidplate for the same price. Has anyone got there hands on a cycra if so how sturdy does it feel?. Any other skid plate recommendations?

• Goforaride

Posted November 02, 2014 - 01:51 PM

IMG_20140925_090324.jpg I have one. Feels sturdy. Fits great and looks good. I did a xc race with tree crossings and slid it off of a few grate bridges. Not a mark on it.

• 250premixer

Posted November 02, 2014 - 02:53 PM

Looking at the cycra full coverage skidplate for my 14' yz450f . I like how much it covers the engine my only gripe is that it's plastic and I'm not sure how that will hold up in the desert and the rocks. I could get an aluminum enduro engineering skidplate for the same price. Has anyone got there hands on a cycra if so how sturdy does it feel?. Any other skid plate recommendations?

Get the works connection one

• yzUSMCf

Posted November 02, 2014 - 05:55 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_20140925_090324.jpgI have one. Feels sturdy. Fits great and looks good. I did a xc race with tree crossings and slid it off of a few grate bridges. Not a mark on it.

got any more pictures of it? Do you think it can take the rocks?

• Dune Ready

Posted November 02, 2014 - 06:28 PM

Flatland racing makes a good one. Good coverage. Strong. Looks good. I beat on mine with no issues

• Goforaride

Posted November 02, 2014 - 07:58 PM

got any more pictures of it? Do you think it can take the rocks?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I can't say from personal experience how it will handle rocks. One of the reasons I Bought it was because of the positive reviews I found while researching it. A lot of people say it is as good as anything in dealing with rocks. My personal review is that it is a great buy. The material is Thick and sturdy, it has good venting, it provides superior protection to the side covers, waterpump And radiator spicket. Also it does not amplify the motor noise as aluminium skid plates seem to do. You can find them on ebAy for $70-80. For that price you can't go wrong giving one a try.

• yzUSMCf

Posted November 02, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the imput and the pictures!

• Swappa

Posted November 03, 2014 - 02:53 PM

I just put and enduro engineering skid plate on my 2014 YZ250F (same as 450). It's thick and strong! In my personal experience, plastic (Hyde) and carbon (Eline) get badly damaged offroad and will not be able to resell after one season. This EE skid plate is tough as nails!

The only thing it's lacking is protection on the right side coolant hose.

Cyrca or GYTR plastic guards are the best and only options I've seen for this area. mY GYTR guard is sitting at the shop waiting for me to collect.

• Swappa

Posted November 03, 2014 - 02:55 PM

Some folks double-wrap the right side hoses with coolant hose or heater hose for added protection as a poor-mans alternative to the Cycra or GYTR coverage of this area.

• yzUSMCf

Posted November 03, 2014 - 04:08 PM

I just put and enduro engineering skid plate on my 2014 YZ250F (same as 450). It's thick and strong! In my personal experience, plastic (Hyde) and carbon (Eline) get badly damaged offroad and will not be able to resell after one season. This EE skid plate is tough as nails!
The only thing it's lacking is protection on the right side coolant hose.
Cyrca or GYTR plastic guards are the best and only options I've seen for this area. mY GYTR guard is sitting at the shop waiting for me to collect.

do you have any pictures available ? I'd like to see what it looks like on the bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Swappa

Posted November 03, 2014 - 04:15 PM

do you have any pictures available ? I'd like to see what it looks like on the bike

Enduro Engineering have pics posted on their website.

https://shop.enduroe...tion&key=24-575

It's hard to tell from the photos (easy to see up close), but it's obvious that there is some serious American pride in these quality parts. I thought I'd seen the best from Whipps and BnB in Australia, but EE is a cut above.

The peg area has extra wings that I don't think you'll see on any other skid plate.

Note that it does not come with closed cell foam. I got mine from Rockymountainatv.

Edited by Swappa, November 03, 2014 - 04:16 PM.

• yzUSMCf

Posted November 03, 2014 - 04:59 PM

I won't be bashing on rocks I'm mainly trying to prevent rocks from bouncing up and cracking my case

• Denaki

Posted November 03, 2014 - 08:03 PM

I have a brand new in the package black one for the 2014/2015 if your near San Francisco Ca area. Bought all the plastics and skid plate and just not going to use it. I ride only mx and don't think I need it

• Swappa

Posted November 04, 2014 - 02:45 PM

Update: the right side wing of the EE aluminium enduro skid plate is fairly large but doesn't protect the right side rad hoses. therefore, I bought the gytr plastic rad hose guard ... but there just isn't enough room to run both parts. You would need an mx-type skid plate for this thing to fit.

• drtrcr400

Posted November 04, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Update: the right side wing of the EE aluminium enduro skid plate is fairly large but doesn't protect the right side rad hoses. therefore, I bought the gytr plastic rad hose guard ... but there just isn't enough room to run both parts. You would need an mx-type skid plate for this thing to fit.

Or you could cut off the right hand wing of the EE plate in order to fit the gytr guard. I just saw a video where an Am Pro Yamaha guy did that. It looked pretty good actually.

• atomic410

Posted November 06, 2014 - 07:02 PM

I just got a devol and I cant figure out how it mounts.  I feel like an idiot.  it seems like the bar would go between the frame and engine and the spacers between and the bolts would tighten it down but that doesn't seem to line up.  also the rear hook type looking thing doesn't fit either.  in both cases there isn't enough clearance between the motor and the frame.  does anyone have a devol skid plate and can post some advice or photos?  the number on the plate says its for my 2011??????????  I'm totally lost

• WouldsAssassin

Posted November 07, 2014 - 07:58 PM

I run the Cycra on my enduroed '11. After 2 years of abuse it still looks good. There are some deep gouges in it from sliding over rocks but my opinion is I'll never buy a metal skid plate again.

My only complaint is I wish there was more coverage toward the back of the frame. I have a lot of scrapes on the frame under the foot pegs.

• forgotmyusername

Posted November 08, 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have the Cyra full armor skid plate and ride nothing but desert. If you're just riding up in Apple Valley or wherever and are looking to protect from flying rocks, it's perfect. Call me crazy but after an hr+ ride the aluminum skid plates noise from rocks gets annoying.

If you were going to be crossing logs, or riding enduro X you might want to stay away from plastic, but it doesnt sound like it. 

• yzUSMCf

Posted November 08, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Mainly ocotillo wells.I might have too bash a rock once in a blue moon on some desert trails but yeah I'm not going full enduro

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Your main worry in the CA deserts, unless you like crawling through really big rocks, is how much side case protection you get in the event you lay the bike down in the rocks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.