tuning options for a 2013 wr450f

12 replies to this topic
  • patrick2wd

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:42 AM

hi all,

I was thinking of a bit more punch, like the 2010+ YZ450..

I know some parts are exchangeable, some, most, arent..

fitting the yz's cams could be a first,

other options?

has anyone done this before?

how about the map?

other ideas?

one thing I know is that the ecu wont fit..

Edited by patrick2wd, November 03, 2014 - 09:20 AM.

• mebgardner

Posted November 03, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Read. Just read... Keep reading...

• patrick2wd

Posted November 03, 2014 - 02:26 PM

yeah, yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2014 - 05:38 PM

You must replace the ECU with the GYTR version, along with the pipe, intake, and then, you can think about cams.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 04, 2014 - 07:47 AM

hi all,

I was thinking of a bit more punch, like the 2010+ YZ450..

I know some parts are exchangeable, some, most, arent..

fitting the yz's cams could be a first,

other options?

has anyone done this before?

I put a YZ exhaust cam in my 2012.   Works great.

This topic is too contentious to discuss publicly.   PM me if you want details.

• patrick2wd

Posted November 04, 2014 - 08:26 AM

WE, in the EU we have our WR´s unrestricted, as standard..  :))

so the ECU is programmable when it leaves the dealer!

@midlifecrisesguy (Im probebly thesame age) thats good info,

did you need to change anything, and what year is your cam?

thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 04, 2014 - 08:37 AM

WE, in the EU we have our WR´s unrestricted, as standard..  :))

so the ECU is programmable when it leaves the dealer!

@midlifecrisesguy (Im probebly thesame age) thats good info,

did you need to change anything, and what year is your cam?

thanks!

I used an 08 YZ exhaust cam, or so I was told it was an 08.  Ebay special.

Straight bolt in.  Takes a couple hours to do the swap.  Remove fuel tank, etc.  Its all in the service manual.  Check your valves while you have the valve cover off.

caveat: I'm not sure how it would work with the electric starter.   I kick start my bike.   Would be easy to grind the decompression pin to make it work with the starter though.

The exhaust cam by itself won't give you YZ style punch.   It wakes the bike up, but its not full on YZ punch.  With the exhaust cam it lugs better, its smoother, less engine braking, more bottom end, revs better, probably runs cooler, etc.

I tried using an 08 YZ intake cam but experienced clearance issues.   I'm told there should be no problem though. Not sure if I did something wrong or if the "experts" that say it should work are wrong.  I may try it again in the future.

I'm not saying the 08 YZ cam is optimal.  It works really well though.  I may try another intake/exhaust set in the future.  I paid $150 for my 08 set.

I started a thread on this very subject, but it got hijacked by naysayers.  I think its one of the best mods you can do to these bikes.  It makes for a fantastic engine.  Super powerful and super controllable.  Better than stock in every respect.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 04, 2014 - 08:46 AM.

• GP1K

Posted November 04, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I put a YZ exhaust cam in my 2012.   Works great.

This topic is too contentious to discuss publicly.   PM me if you want details.

Works great compared to what? A properly FI tuned WR? Oh right, you wouldn't know what that feels like, as you've never done it. :rolleyes:

It's not a contentious topic. One should definitely tune the FI mapping *before* considering cams. That and even if you do go the cams route, you'll get more benefit with FI tuning there was well

• GP1K

Posted November 04, 2014 - 08:52 AM

I used an 08 YZ exhaust cam, or so I was told it was an 08.  Ebay special.

Straight bolt in.  Takes a couple hours to do the swap.  Remove fuel tank, etc.  Its all in the service manual.  Check your valves while you have the valve cover off.

caveat: I'm not sure how it would work with the electric starter.   I kick start my bike.   Would be easy to grind the decompression pin to make it work with the starter though.

The exhaust cam by itself won't give you YZ style punch.   It wakes the bike up, but its not full on YZ punch.  With the exhaust cam it lugs better, its smoother, less engine braking, more bottom end, revs better, probably runs cooler, etc.

I tried using an 08 YZ intake cam but experienced clearance issues.   I'm told there should be no problem though. Not sure if I did something wrong or if the "experts" that say it should work are wrong.  I may try it again in the future.

I'm not saying the 08 YZ cam is optimal.  It works really well though.  I may try another intake/exhaust set in the future.  I paid $150 for my 08 set.

I started a thread on this very subject, but it got hijacked by naysayers.  I think its one of the best mods you can do to these bikes.  It makes for a fantastic engine.  Super powerful and super controllable.  Better than stock in every respect.

You should really stop giving advice on subjects you are so clearly clueless on. Swapping cams without ever tuning FI is just silly, and everyone knows it... but you.

So stop giving people bad advice and telling them this is what they should do to their bikes first. It's not, you're wrong, plain and simple. You have ZERO basis for comparison to make any such claims as it's "the best mod you can do". So just STFU already.

• patrick2wd

Posted November 04, 2014 - 09:10 AM

anyway,

Ive ridden a 2011 YZ450f, which was awsome, very powerfull,

I could opt for a YZ, but these are very rare to find with a plate but.. yes, we have these plated in the EU too..

And since Ive found a local dealer who has about 5 rental WR´s, all 2013 models, f-s..

Im going to look at it to see what I get in return for my 2008  RXV450..

and tuning the bike to my liking, soon with a set of YZ cams.. I have some dodgy contacts at the EU yamaha branche who could help also..

but any info, is welcome,

• mebgardner

Posted November 04, 2014 - 11:59 AM

I took my own advice, and kept reading, and...

I learned something!

Thanks, MidLife guy.

• Ud_Luz

Posted November 05, 2014 - 06:44 AM

So just STFU already.

You really want to go there?

• patrick2wd

Posted November 05, 2014 - 10:48 AM

:mellow:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.